Am I dreaming?

Teajack

Visit site
I have recently stated having lessons after nearly 20 years away from horses and hope to become an owner again around this time next year. Money is tightish, but i have enough for livery + extras and an emergency fund. So i have been window shopping horses, but i'm despairing at the prices being asked nowadays and am beginning to think i'm a dreamer. I need an uncomplicated, confidence-giving and non spooky 14.2 - 15.2HH with basic schooling, that goes off the leg and stops when asked, any type other than a heavy cob, age 6 - 11 ish. I weigh 10 st. Hopefully something that's already a pleasant hack which i can school on. My interest is dressage, however i don't particularly want to compete, just establish a nice partnership and make the best of my horse. My budget will be around £2,500. Am I living in cloud cuckoo land? When i was in the horse world years ago there were some nice sane and sound ones passed on through word of mouth at affordable prices and i'm sure that still happens, but i don't have those kind of contacts now.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
horses are less money than they were around 12-15 years ago comparatively speaking but there is always less choice in Scotland I've found. I've not yet bought a horse up here, I've always gone south-where have you looked?

holeymoley

Visit site
I would say £2500 isn't that much just now, maybe 10 years ago you would've got something all round. I'd probably be inclined to buy something cheaper but sane and work with it .

Teajack

Visit site
horses are less money than they were around 12-15 years ago comparatively speaking but there is always less choice in Scotland I've found. I've not yet bought a horse up here, I've always gone south-where have you looked?
Just generally googled around sites such as Preloved, Horses4homes, Scothorse, Facebook etc. A few 4 year olds that sound nice in central Scotland, not the thing for an unconfident returner though. Have seen a couple of nice sounding ones down south, so it looks like a bit of travelling might be required :)