Am i just losing Interest :(

NAJRBSJ

Visit site
Hi all.
I am really struggling with motivation recently and wondering if I should just admit defeat and give it all in.

I sold my dressage pony a few months back which I don't regret. I loved him to bits BUT I was struggling to find the motivation to ride daily to keep him fit and he had reached his level pretty much. I suppose I was a bit bored really. Anyway, he is now having great fun with his new owner and enjoying his jumping too (something which I couldn't do myself).

Within a week I was wanting a challenge. I love bringing on youngsters, its a challenge I relish so I decided to buy a Native pony youngster who I saw for sale locally and he looks like a good type for driving, which I would like to get back into. He's only 2 so plenty of time to work with him however I just cant find the motivation to do much at all with him. Its not that we haven't clicked as he really is a sweet kind pony and he's already come on so much with 3 months of 1-2-1 handling.

I am late 30's, mum so a young son, work full time and currently going through a relocation to the other side of the country so I have lots on my mind (new house, new job, new school for son, need to find a new yard etc.). I'm struggling to find any motivation for horse stuff at the moment. I have a garage FULL of lovely stuff that I packed just in case I got another but now I don't know if I should just sell up.

Is it just the extreme heat and moving house blues ? Or should I just move on :(

be positive

Visit site
He is only 2 so there is no need to do anything with him other than the basics for at least 12 months possibly 24, you sound extremely busy so to give him a chance I would just turn him out and do nothing with him for at least a few months and see how you feel, he will come to no harm and it will take the pressure off.

supsup

Visit site
Well, nobody can answer that question but you, obviously. Seeing as your new horse is only two and a native, I'd think there's plenty of time to turn him away to mature a bit more. If everything is a bit busy at the moment, maybe you could find some sort of grass livery/turnout on common or similar to send him away to for the rest of summer, or even until next spring. That would take the pressure off for the moment, and give you time to reconsider without having to make a final decision. If your interest doesn't really kick in once the move is over and things have settled down, you can still sell him on.

JFTDWS

Visit site
You've got a lot going on, and - tbh - this weather could put anyone off. Turn him away, let him grow up slowly, and get the relocation sorted. Then see how you feel about things when you could be doing fun stuff with him.

NAJRBSJ

Visit site
Thanks guys. I should be able to find youngstock grazing so worth a try and see how I feel when all is sorted.

Crackerz

Visit site
You've got a lot going on, and - tbh - this weather could put anyone off. Turn him away, let him grow up slowly, and get the relocation sorted. Then see how you feel about things when you could be doing fun stuff with him.

Exactly this

Farma

Visit site
You sound like you live my life! I have a 2yr old son, I have a crazy busy job, I relocated last year, I have one super horse I used to compete in work that I haven't been to a single show on since I had my boy because I just don't have the time or motivation, some weeks she does nothing at all and she doesn't mind, I have a youngster that's out with other youngsters that wont come in till he is 3 (and my son is at school!) as I wont have time for him till then.
I know as my boy gets older and less needy I will take it up more again, I would just leave yours out to mature for a year and then see how you feel, maybe nick ride here and there or do a few schoolmaster lessons to keep your hand in?
I couldn't give horses up totally, as much as I am shattered they are my sanity!