Am I Mad ?.....A WWYD THREAD

claracanter

Visit site
On Wednesday I had a fall XC schooling and hurt my ribs. Decided not to go to A and E as what could they do anyway for ribs and have subsequently been prescribed codeine for the pain by my Doctor.

Am supposed to go on a hound ride tomorrow( meeting friends there). I can still ride( although 3 hours on a hound ride might be a bit much) but its hitching the trailer and tacking up, doing girth etc that is the most painful bit. There will be lots of horses there. Mine is a laid back chap but has never been before and neither have I.

However, the next day, Sunday, my other horse is entered for a low key dressage competition. Others from my yard are going so there will be help available tacking up etc.This horse has been off since last June with a tendon injury so its something of a milestone to get him back out competing again. I know he will be excited.

Is it foolish to even think of going to one or both of these?

FfionWinnie

Visit site
If you've got a fracture, another blow or any trauma could cause them to break. Having had multiple broken ribs for 5 weeks and 2 days, I would caution against this risk because the pain I've had in the last 5 weeks and 2 days, has been the worst of my life! I include child birth in that!

Moomin1

Visit site
I sometimes feel these posts are attention seeking. Do whatever you want. It's your body- why do you need a load of strangers to tell you what to do??

DD265

Visit site
I sometimes feel these posts are attention seeking. Do whatever you want. It's your body- why do you need a load of strangers to tell you what to do??

I think it's more about asking for others' experiences in similar situations.

Personally I wouldn't risk it. I had minor surgery on my back a fortnight ago to remove a cyst and only just got back in the saddle tonight. I was absolutely fine and probably would have been last weekend too but I opted to play it safe. I figured a little time off now would see me back in the saddle quicker than rushing it and subsequently needing further work/longer to heal.

glamourpuss

Visit site
If you've got a fracture, another blow or any trauma could cause them to break. Having had multiple broken ribs for 5 weeks and 2 days, I would caution against this risk because the pain I've had in the last 5 weeks and 2 days, has been the worst of my life! I include child birth in that!

A fracture IS a break. I never understand why people are convinced they are different TBH.
'Fracture' is just the medical term used for a broken bone along with its description I.e undisplaced fracture/spiral fracture/comminuted fracture.

soulfull

Visit site
As a medic i need to poinf out if you have a fracture another knock even small could cause life threatening damage is pierce the lungs or even your heart

P.s. yes a break and a fracture are exactly the same

luckyoldme

Visit site
i had a fall off my horse and strained the ligaments between my ribs (cant remeber exactly what they said but it was something like that) they gave me codine.
The next day i went into work, made about 4 sets of curtains (I make massive ones on industrial machines so its not light work) The codine was amazing so i kept on going.
By tea time i was completely immobile and doubled up in agony.
Codine is amazing, but sometimes i think that the pain serves a purpose which is to make you rest the area so it can heal, if you don t do what nature intended then it just prolongs recovery.

Mongoose11

Visit site

Couldn't the same be said for every post on the forum? OP is seeking opinions. This place wouldn't exist if people didn't seek the views and experiences of others.

Op, I wouldn't do either of those things. It's a total bummer but you need to sit out for a while and recover - you have broken bones!

Kacey88

Visit site
Agree with soulfull, rest. I suffered a collapsed lung and believe me, it is EXTREMELY painful. Definitely not worth the risk at all. Apart from the horrible pain, there's the very long recovery time and, oh yeah, the chance you might die!

That's very dramatic but yeah.... hope you feel better soon :)

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
A fracture IS a break. I never understand why people are convinced they are different TBH.
'Fracture' is just the medical term used for a broken bone along with its description I.e undisplaced fracture/spiral fracture/comminuted fracture.

Yep everyone thinks a fracture is something less....it is a break! And think the OP shsould cool it for a bit until healed.....

rachk89

Visit site
I wouldn't ride but would see if someone else could ride the horse for me in the dressage. That way the horse gets used and you stay safe.

claracanter

Visit site
Thanks all for your opinions.. I think just reading back over my post makes me see how silly it is and your experiences just clarify that. Will sit the bank holiday out as really don't want any further damage as its @@@@@@@ painful with the codeine. To all of you broke / fractured bits, hope you are all well now

FfionWinnie

Visit site

Oh ok well OP if you've got a "fracture" now your could end up with a "worser fracture" if you fall off again 🙄

Regardless of the terminology used I wouldn't risk it because my personal "hurts like hell fracture" is making me slightly less tolerant about life generally. As you might guess.

(Ps, I know "worser" isn't a word by the way, no need to correct that for me too).

Equi

Visit site
Would you encourage someone else to do it? Probably not. There is no bravado in riding with injuries it's just stupid and potentially career ending.

HashRouge

Visit site
Don't be tricked into doing too much, as others have said! I got kicked in the ribs about a year ago and somehow didn't break anything. However, I could barely move for 3 days and then had to go back to work (I was a groom!) loaded up on painkillers. I don't think that really helped my recovery!