Am I oversensitive ?

chased by bees

Visit site
A bit quick but as you were out of the road on the pavement bit he probably didn't think slowing was necessary.
The bikes were unfortunate, that's happen to me twice with a bunch of harleys. Both times where on Sunday afternoons. Can't blame a bunch of folk for going out and enjoying there hobby and they weren't speeding. It's just bad luck on your part, these things occasionally happen. Your horse managed past them beautifully though and is an absolute credit to your training.

Clodagh

Visit site
Way too fast, bloody idiot. That is as a farmers wife! Your horse is a saint, if he had panicked it doesn't bear thinking about.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
I think being on the pavement unfortunately encourages such behaviour. I'm familiar with the road as I live(d) locally, and I think I'd be taking the road and making sure I was in the centre of it just whilst I crossed the bridge (in trot), that way nothing can overtake me.

Shantara

Visit site
Ooh yes, a bit fast, considering it was towing something!
Ned is fine with most traffic and is fine with tractors, but really doesn't like when they have something on the back, so I should imagine he would have spooked, or at least a dramatic look!

lizziebell

Visit site
I think being on the pavement unfortunately encourages such behaviour. I'm familiar with the road as I live(d) locally, and I think I'd be taking the road and making sure I was in the centre of it just whilst I crossed the bridge (in trot), that way nothing can overtake me.

I'd be inclined to take up the road too. Unless you have the highways permission to use the pavement, then it's illegal to ride on it (and you can be fined for doing so).

I do however agree the tractor was going a little too fast for my liking.

Starzaan

Visit site
Your horse is a credit to you. What a beautifully behaved boy!!!

Far too fast, but so well dealt with by your lovely orange boy.

eggs

Visit site
Tractor was too fast especially with the trailer attached. Your horse was very well behaved though. Bikes were just one of those things but they did look to be behaving reasonably.

I was always told that it is illegal to ride on a pavement.

rachk89

Visit site
Too fast yeah but your lad handled it well. Mine wouldn't have liked the trailer although to be fair on him he has been passed on the road by a couple of trailers and although he was scared he still did very little other than jump forwards and stare at it wide eyed.

Not overly sure on the pavement thing though i thought we weren't allowed on them but some places may allow it. In that situation there really is no option but to use the path. There is no space on the road.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
What a wonderful horse, and I love the relaxed way you ride him.

The tractor was a bit quick, could you signal to slow or stop him if it is worrisome? Most tractor drivers round here will slow if asked, and I then thank them profusely. The bikes were more scary to me, and there was not a lot you could do about them, but your horse coped beautifully.

BSL

Visit site
I have seen loads of your video's over the years. Your horse is amazing. I think the tractor was too fast. We have a path like that leading out of our town. I very rarely use it, as unfortunately drivers think if you are on the path you are safe and still whizz by. I would actually rather ride on the road and have somewhere to go if needed. Re the bikes I would most probably signaled for them to slow right down. Lucky horse to have such a calm rider:)

Pedantic

Visit site
I hate the bridge, but we have to go over it to get any hacking at all, it's rather a long bridge to ride over and stay on the road, it would cause a lot of trouble with motorist's if we stayed on the road, plus we wouldn't get over before the traffic lights changed, so we would end up with cars zooming towards us before we got over, so staying on the road isn't really an option.

Micropony

Visit site
That isn't a very nice bridge at all. Your horse coped exceptionally well with that tractor and trailer, a credit to you.

The scooters reminded me of a motorcycle club we once met out hacking. Horse didn't mind the bikes at all (looked like Harleys to me, but what do I know? Round headlamps and lots of chrome, lovely throaty engines), but wasn't particularly keen on the little flagpoles they had attached to the back of some of them. They were incredibly polite, as soon as they saw we were having a problem they stopped and turned off their engines until we got into a side road. If only everyone could be so considerate.

Booboos

Visit site
The tractor was going far too fast, especially with the trailer attached and given you were particularly vulnerable on the bridge.

The scooters were bad luck but seemed to be going relatively slowly and keeping an eye on you. I once met upwards of 50 bikes on a small country lane and my, usually patient, horse started getting wound up about half way through but they were very helpful and stopped completely allowing him to have a break.

Your horse is a star!

CMcC

Visit site
You have a fantastic horse, he didn't look fazed by anything, but I am sure your calming commentary was helping him.

Haz:)

Visit site
Far too fast. Ridiculous. My friends horse spooked at a trailer the other day (he's nervous at beginnings of hacks) and he jackknifed and nearly got hit. The trailer was going too fast passing us which is what caused a severe reaction.

That combined with the fact you were on a bridge was ridiculous. Sometimes if I wonder if any of these people have common sense - your no farther away than if you were in the opposite side of the road except your in the pavement. The horse is just as likely to freak regardless.

Pedantic

Visit site
Did you signal it to slow down ?

I was wearing bright orange Hi Viz, so he must have seen me, I don't tend to do the signalling to slow down bit as I have personally found it doesn't work, you either get the rabbit in the headlights blank zombie thick as shiite look, or rude gestures from the driver, besides, people who use the roads should know the Highway Code, and it also means taking one hand off the reins, and although he neck reins one handed beatifully, when he kicks off you really really need both hands on the reins, he's a ginger pony in every sense :)

Annagain

Visit site
It's not pavement, but I can see why you would think that, it's designated for all 3, pedestrians cyclists and horse riders, blue signs at both ends of bridge telling us so, it's to keep the road clear as it's a narrow bridge.

Got to 2.32 on this clip and Pause and you will see the designated sign :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMd49Yk8y-o

What a good idea. We have plenty of very wide cycle/footpaths round by us on very busy roads. Might lobby the council to allow horses on them. Mind if I grab a still of your video to show them it's possible please?

And your boy is fab in traffic. Love the way you talk to him and explain what's going on to the passers by when he takes a look at the new bit!

Micropony

Visit site
I was wearing bright orange Hi Viz, so he must have seen me, I don't tend to do the signalling to slow down bit as I have personally found it doesn't work, you either get the rabbit in the headlights blank zombie thick as shiite look, or rude gestures from the driver, besides, people who use the roads should know the Highway Code, and it also means taking one hand off the reins, and although he neck reins one handed beatifully, when he kicks off you really really need both hands on the reins, he's a ginger pony in every sense :)

We have occasion to use the "please slow down " hand signal quite frequently, and as our hacking is quite suburban we do sometimes catch up with those drivers who ignore it at the next set of lights or in a queue of traffic. When politely asked why they didn't slow down and whether they understood the hand signal, we are often told they didn't understand what the signal means.

Jazzy B

Visit site
Your brave, lovely horse! Also a farmers "wife" and encounter lots of tractors etc but that was sooooo close!