Am i pushing him too fast?

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
In CR as well but thought i might get more replies in here too

Rock had 6weeks off work due to lameness from a foot infection. Hes been back in work for 3weeks now, first week was lungeing in pessoa every other day, second week every other day lungeing and every other day hacking for 30minutes. Last week i schooled him on the flat twice, hacked him out twice, and schooled him over poles and a small crosspole once. This week planning longer hacks, 1bigger jumping session and 2flatwork as well as lungeing. Atm hes still quite unfit, sweating a lot but this is also due to a really thick coat which im clipping on tuesday. Next monday (23rd) i have a 90cms jumping clinic and on wednesday 25th i have my first bsja on a day ticket. My question is, is this too soon? Am i pushing him too fast? Please ANY suggestions welcome

GTs

Visit site
Strictly from a fitness stand point a horse needs 7-10 days of gradually increasing work per month they had off. Now I am not sure what his regiment was as coming from an injury/illness, but it sounds like that is not concern from your post. So to answer your question, no - get on and enjoy!! Do be sure to warm him/cool him down properly!!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I think provided you clip all that hair that making him sweat off he will be fine.
Horses are so much tougher than many people seem to think, years ago we hacked 15 miles to a farrier, then home again without thinking about it, we hacked to shows, competed all day then hacked home again!
My ex riding school horses did three hours a day regularly and at weekends had to do five. If they didn't, I wouldn't have had enough money to feed them properly that week.
You know your horse better than anyone, if he is tired after the clinic, miss the BSJA, but with a day off between to recover, he should be ok.

kayleigh_and_rocky

Brilliant guys thanks for your replies, and yeah i think you have the right idea henryhorn i'll see how he is after the clinic and decide from there! thank you
smile.gif

amage

Visit site
no not at all. i'd say you will see a big difference once he is clipped. maybe after the clinic if you find he is a wee bit tired give him a booster, super-lyte or something like that. it'll pep him up a bit. also you may want to look at increasing or altering his feed a bit to ensure he is getting enough energy.

kayleigh_and_rocky

Thanks! Yeh i'll be giving him electrolytes the day of the clinic and competitions anyway, and am gradually increasing is food starting tommorow for the winter. Thanl you so much for your replies its really helped calm my mind and i'll see what hes like at the clinic and also ask my trainer there what he thinks.
smile.gif