am i "rushing" it?

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
my gelding was out of work for just over a month- he was lame for unknown reasons (was nerve blocked but it showed nothing) all set to go to an equine hospital but he came sound again. got the vet out, she said he was ok to start working him lightly and if he came lame again to contact her.

we started by just walking him round the fields for the first couple of days. he was 100% sound so we started trotting, then gradually been working our way up. it has been just less than a month now since he has been lame and we got the vet out last monday to give him another check over and see if we could start doing harder work with him. she said he was 100% sound just a little unfit, so we could start doing fitness work whenever we're ready.

we cantered him round the fields with a few gallops and he was 100% sound next day. we have jumped him round the showjumps in our field, and again he has been 100% sound the next day (and didnt seem to be struggling fitness wise).

we took him to a pony club xc schooling lesson today, and we explained to our instructor that he is unfit so we didnt do much with him, just got him jumping a variety of xc fences and giving him some fun. he didnt find it hard work fitness wise and was pawing at the ground and getting excited, wanting to do more when we had finished!

however, do you think i am rushing it? i have had a couple of people say that they think im rushing it, so would like some more opinions please
smile.gif

Weezy

Visit site
I think you are WAY overdoing it! Personally after a months lay off I would only be re-introducing trotting for VERY short periods of time in week 2 end of or week 3 - I certainly wouldnt be doing any cantering let alone galloping yet especially as the lameness was unknown - your vet, I would think, was referring to fittening work as in walking for 2 hours with some trot work - not hooning round fields and jumping - sorry
crazy.gif

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
I had the same question faced to me when i was bringing rock back into work and i think honestly only you can tell, you can tell how he feels and you know him best. I posted similarly about Rock and it confirmed that i thought iw as rushing it, so i cancelled another month of competitions so i didnt rush him and am now just starting having dressage lessons and doing proper canter fitness, its been about 5weeks now. The next 3weeks will be made up of 2flatwork lessons a week plus long hacks with uphill work and no jumping for me for another 2weeks at least.
So yeh you have to judge by feel, if you feel hes coping then keep going but if you have ANY doubts then slow down.

Skhosu

Visit site
A little bit, yes. But it depends on whether the rest was box or field?
A month should not be too bad, I was always told 14 days to begin losing muscle. How fit was he before?

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Most definitely! I stick with Weezy on this one I'm afraid.

The mantra for fittening horses is - PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE <span style="color:blue"> </span> especially if you want it to last more than ten minutes!

<span style="color:black"> </span> Back off a bit and keep to walking and very slow trotting for very short periods for at least another three weeks, then go gently on from there.

barneyandem

Visit site
Hmm i would say yes- because didnt the vet think that he went lame in the first place because he was doing too much too fast as a youngster?Sorry if this wasnt you that i was thinking about , but for a young horse- 5??, i think that it is much too much work after a month off with mystery lameness. My vet told me when my horse had been off for a similar amount of time, was just to walk, and gradually build up this amount and introduce very short, slow bouts of trot after a few weeks-to be galloping and jumping and XC imo is asking far too much!
Totally sorry if i was thinking of the wrong horse?Apologies in advance if ive totally muddled!

RunToEarth

Visit site
My hunter had to have 4 monthes off in 2004 due to lameness. It took me best part of a year to develop any kind of fitness beyond a solid trot,and you say you are already jumping yours? IMO yes, rushing it quite a lot.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Yes, I think you are hurrying things a bit. I think that Weezy is right, you must take your time to get him back to fitness. The reason for his lameness is still unknown &amp; he was out of work for a month. I appreciate that you want to get back into riding him as you were before but you need to exercise more patience. You'll get him back into work, but do it safely by taking your time.

Good Luck
smile.gif

Cheesey2983

Visit site
Sorry but in my opinion your rushing it WAY to much. After a month off work work you shouldnt be galloping around the fields let alone XC schooling him. was bit shocked when i read that post earlier lol. I totally agree with weezy that you should only just be introducing short bursts of trot work. And loads and loads of walk work. His muscle would of deteriorated quite a bit after a month off so shouldnt have the strain of you sticking him over jumps and boltin him round not fair on him really in my opinion. Sorry if i sound harsh but ive seen so many people to eager in bringin there horses back into work that they end up on box rest for ten times longer especially not a good move if you need to sell him
smile.gif
or is that your hidden plan lol mayb if he not quite 100% sound mum will put sellin him on hold.

ClaireH78

Visit site
I also agree that you are rushing it.

My horse was off work due to unknown lameness, he had a scintigraphy and nerve blocks and we did find the cause (spavin). I was told by the vet to begin the fitness work, which was to be road work and no work in school. I done 4 weeks of nothing but walking increasing the length of time and intensity (eg hills), I then introduced short bursts of trot and increased these over the next 4 weeks. I then had the vet back out who was very impressed with my hard work and determination to have a sound and happy horse and he was diagnosed as only 1 / 2 tenths lame as opposed to 7 when he was originally diagnosed. He then said I could introduced canter work and pop in the school for short bursts. In total my horse went through 12 weeks of work before I even thought about schooling, jumping, galloping etc etc. I am so glad I didn't rush it as he is now completely sound, fit and healthy.

So if you want a healthy happy sound fit horse, please just take your time.

Visit site
yes I think you are rushing it too much equibabe - I would have only just started introducing trotting at this time. there's no point rushing it just to get out jumping again. cantering, galloping and jumping are way to much seeming as he has been off work lame. even if he is sound now, he will need to build his fitness up slowly and you say he is only 5, so you shouldn't be pushing him too quickly definelty - he is only a baby and still has a lot to learn.

Shrimp

Visit site
I have to agree with everyone else on this, yes I think you are rushing it especially with an unknown lameness. It could come back at any time if you dont know whats causing it. He's only 5/6 now so if you rush him too much now then it could cause larger problems later on in life. Just slow down.

Bri

Visit site
Have to say I agree with everyone else. Was quite shocked when I read your other post.
Considering the vet put his mysterious lameness down to doing too much far too young, I certainly wouldn't be out doing xc a few weeks later.
Then again you are selling him so I suppose you don't have to worry about him being buggered in the future?!
I'm sure you said he was only 4 as well?! That you bought him as a 4 year old but actually he was only 3? Or am I completely wrong?

Bossanova

Visit site
Considering the initial reason given for lameness was that he'd done too much, too young, I'd take him very easy over the winter.
If he were mine, I wouldnt contemplate more than just hacking about and putting some time into re-establishing the basics

rrose

Visit site
YES, He's has a hard working life at a young age he deserves a rest especially after being lame. you should only be walking and trotting not galloping and 3ft XC. i agree with everyone else. i Think build him up slowely and give him a rest from competing.