Am I seeking the impossible?

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
My 2yo desperately wants to ride. She's pony mad, but her brother's pony (a) is too big for her and (b) cannot stand tiny kids (quite frankly, he's scared of them).
So, I'm on the lookout for something about 10hh, 100% kid friendly, safe, a real 'plodder'. Must adore little kids.
I have been searching for such a pony, but they all seem to be miles away or have one hangup or another or be too young (or a shetland).
Am I really asking too much??

And are all shetlands little sods?? So far I've been avoiding them like the plague.

Grey_Arab

Visit site
Some shetlands are alright, you just have to be careful. Not sure if you'll be able to find something of that size that hasn't got shetland in there somewhere??

JaneMBE

Visit site
trouble is, little ponies can be difficult cos no one is small enough to have broken them in properly!

We have two 11.1 welshies. One is quirky, can do 6 hacks and on the 7th chuck bucks to say 'enough'. lead rein good though.
T'other one is very prancy and joggy, thinks he is stallion man. Very good with small ones usually tho. But neither are what I would consider first ponies (mind, they are only 7-8 ish) Tis hard finding riders for them, they ideal for 4/5/6 year olds but not first ponios as I say.
frown.gif

It is tricky finding a small well behaved pony, wish you luck
smile.gif

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
I wouldn't say the internet is the best place to look for horses, but here are a few I've found:

http://www.horsedeals.co.uk/horsedetails.aspx?horseid=18124

http://www.horsedeals.co.uk/horsedetails.aspx?horseid=17120

http://www.horsedeals.co.uk/horsedetails.aspx?horseid=17647

http://www.horsemart.co.uk/AdvertRef/HM6...HorseDetail.asp

http://www.horsemart.co.uk/AdvertRef/HM6...HorseDetail.asp

They might not be anywhere near you, but they look like the sort of thing you want
smile.gif
The last one's adorable!

Tempi

Visit site
my friend has a gorgeous little 10hh pony called muffin! shes taught loads of kids to ride, but she also gets taken hunting by Bloss's sharer!!!!! (whos 14 and about 5'4!) She loves hunting, but will equally plod around the school with the kids hanging on
smile.gif

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
NO!! You are not!!

Plenty out there, but you have to be picky and be prepared to travel. The few weenies we have had we have had to travel for other than one.

My friend travelled to Devon from Reading! - but the pony was worth it!!

Plenty out there, just do NOT compromise if its for your kids, its not worth the worry!!

Friend who has just bought one was going to pay over £3k for a showy prancy pony which would have been a nightmare for the kid, instead I gave her a talking to and said for a first pony forget looks!! go for temperament, she saved £2k and has a saint!!

KarenX

Visit site
Not all shetlands are sods! Ours is brilliant and taught my 3 daughters to ride when they were younger. he can turn his hoof to anything and even won a shetland derby! He's retired now at the grand old age of 11!!! He's a field companion so still useful and still goes out for the odd hack with smallest daughter. We must have been lucky coz we also used to have a 11hh welsh x who was an absolute saint!
laugh.gif

They are out there - you just need to keep looking!

Good luck!

Karen
smile.gif

debbielinder

Visit site
weve got a fab little welsh A on our yard, sherbet, hes 11.2 and palamino hes dead sweet fab with kids on but his owner sometimes gets on and has a play shes 50 but mad as a hatter and they go everywhere like a bucking broncho she taught him that if she puts her hand on his bum he bucks its really funny but he wouldnt do this with a child on his back. his only downfall is that if your leading him he licks you and then when you are not expecting it bites you! ive had a few near misses! he taught my little sister to ride. you can pick up little welsh ponies quite cheap if they are not registered
sherbs.jpg
i know his owner paid 150 for him a few years ago. id keep looking the right one will be out there somewhere

TequilaMist

Visit site
Pity we just sold my daughters(shes now 15) 1st pony 3 weeks ago a 34" shetland who would have been perfect.dead safe ,brave as anything 12 yrs old dun shetland mare, lead rein and can do off lead rein and has never run off with anyone(more likely to do nothing than something if you know what I mean).Has been pulled about by 2/3/4 yr olds for last few yrs.Apparently she even did a bit of xc with one loanee!!!We sold her for £500 with tack!!Honestly this pony give about 3 kids confidence handling etc.So don't exclude shetlands totally just be very selective!!

Agent XXX999

Visit site
Hello

We have got the safest section a for sale…pm me for details. I would put my baby on this horse..she is good to do in every way and great lr

MagicMelon

Visit site
Yes, shetlands can be sods! They all seem to have an attitude about being small! I have a sheltie and she can be a real bitch, seems to hate anyone taller than her because as soon as a little child approaches her - her ears go forward and its like butter wouldnt melt!! I think a few are like this. She's funny, if I sit down in front of her she's lovely but as soon as I stand up and tower over her, she hates me again.