Am I too big to be taken Seriously?

kbsaff

Visit site
So I bought this manky little thing as a "project" and a bit of time out from competing after my Show jumper sadly passed away.

CIMG0742.jpg

However, I quickly became absolutely smitted with him and although totally different from my usual type, he's ended up staying and has now been with me for four years.

He's now blossomed into something of a handsome chappy and is a real cracking little pony with a fantastic attitude to pretty much everything, although he's clung on to his cheeky welsh traits!

I'm wanting to do ridden showing with him but do you think i'm too big to be taken seriously? Should I consider finding a smaller rider who can really do him justice?

2010_01021004120037.jpg

Cavblacks

Visit site
Aww he's very cute!
IMO I dont think you look overly big for him, I dont show though so wouldnt know about if you wouldnt not be taken seriously, but I dont see why you shouldnt ride him yourself!

AFlapjack

Visit site
He is a lovely little boy. :)
I think you look fine on him and would have a blast showing him.
However, if I were you I would put my stirrups up a couple of holes before showing - it could be me, but they look a bit long.
Enjoy! :D

Brandy

Visit site
No you're not too big!! You're stirrups are very long though, I would have them up a good few holes (gradually though so you get used to it)

I don't know if you do much showing but if you go to any decent level show and look at the natives, you will see plenty of adults riding smaller ponies, right down to section 'A's and darties, exmoors etc.

I am 5ft 7 and have a very chunky section C at 13.2 (although most people think he is 14hh .....) and we have no problems at all.

Sarah Sum1

Visit site
Your stirrups look really long which won't help, try taking them up a couple of holes. He is lovely btw :)

BBH

Visit site
He's a real dude ! Lovely pony.

I think you can get away with your size because he's a stocky lad and although you wouldn't want to be any taller on him I think you look fine now.

UnaB

Visit site
Well, I have never done much showing myself, but when I've watched it at the county shows I have always thought that, with the pony showing, the riders often look very big on the ponies, feet down by their knees nearly!!lol Maybe its just the shows i've been to and its not actually the "done thing" but i wouldnt let it put you off showing him anyway as he is a gorgeous little guy and you look fine on him :D

_MizElz_

Visit site
I dont think you look too big for him....I'm not sure about for the show ring though. I have seen a lot worse in terms of very tall riders on very small ponies (when I used to show as a kid we were constantly up against a much older girl of 5'6 on a 12.2 pony.....who actually used to win a hell of a lot in this area!!!) so I guess all you can do is give it a go! Could you try putting your stirrups up a bit? You look as if you are riding very long which I think gives the impression that your legs are dangling at his knees....when in actual fact I dont think your body looks too tall for him at all! If you could hoik your legs up a bit it may improve the overall picture....

Regardless though, he is a lovely boy! :p

skychick

Visit site
oohhhh he is a stunner. I love a nice welshie, they are such charachters!
He is beautifull. I dont know much about showing, but if you popped your stirrups up a bit i certainly dont see why you couldnt show him yourself. You certainly arnt looking like you are too heavy for him and i dont think you look huge on him at all. Go for it and have some fun with your lovely boy.

Brandy

Visit site
Showing is all about the overall picture. You need to look neat and not stand out, so at the moment your enviably long legs draw attention, hence the comments to put your stirrups up. You will soon get used to it and it should make things easier for you when schooling as your leg with be more 'on' than it is now. My stirrups are a whopping 6 holes shorter on my welsh than on my 'proper' :D horse who I do dressage with!!!

kbsaff

Visit site
Thank you all for your lovely comments. He really is a gorgeous looking boy, perhaps that's why he gets away with so much!

I agree, looking at the picture again I do look at bit lanky. I'm not sure how because I'm a bit stumpy when I'm not on board!
I've taken your advice and just ridden with my stirrups a couple of holes shorter. WIERD !!!!
I'll have to get my OH to take some more pic's at the weekend and see how I look!

pastie2

Visit site
He is lovely, a section C? I dont think you are too big to ride and hack, but to do him any favours showing I would get a good child and I think you will do very well with him/her. Showing is very much about pleasing the eye as well as confo, going, manners. Good luck.

pastie2

Visit site
His Dam is Hendrewen Royal Lustre, his Sire is Clyngim Deryn Du

I remember going back to the 80s we had a colt out of Hendrewen Dawn just cant remember who he was by, not big again but full of quality, liver chestnut, we did well at the royal welsh with him.

Vizslak

Visit site
no further comments other than what the others have said and that he is lovely and reminds me very much of esters welshie Frank! How has no one else noticed that!! :p :D

Archiesmummy

Visit site
Oh, he's lovely and even when you first got him I would never have described him as manky ... all equines, however they look, are beautiful, imo. xx

Oh, and you don't look too big, just have long legs (to die for ;)) x

Mike007

Visit site
Isnt it daft that we have to worry about such things. Your exceedingly handsome boy,could carry a welsh hill farmer up and down the hills all day.I actually find it rather odd seeing smaller people on them. They can be such tough nuts too , that smaller riders often have difficulty. :)

Sanolly

Visit site
Your pony is gorgeous! I don't think you look to big on him but again I don't show competitively so can't really comment, but I would think it would only be a problem if you were too heavy? (which I don't think you are)

NVM

Visit site
I think you look fine and he's very handsome, on another note my welshies grand parent is Clyngim Deryn Du
:D