Am I too big?

elliehayes92

Visit site
The age old question but I am questioning whether I’m too big/heavy for my boy.

He’s 13.2hh Connie X and I am 5ft 2 and weigh around 10 stone. I am actively trying to lose weight.

He has been eventing with me and is still full of beans by the end of the cross country and the saddler/vet/physio/instructor hasn’t said anything about me being too big.

I just worry to be honest and because I have a history of problems with my eating/mental health, I can get a bit self-conscious about it.

Tash88

Visit site
Do you know your horse's weight? A rider should weigh no more than 15-18% of the horse, so that is the guide to go by.

Cowpony

Visit site
It's not just about the weight of the horse though. It's about how much bone it has, how fit it is etc. You could have a very overweight 13.2h which weighs 400kg, so theoretically could carry 72kg (11st 5lbs), but that wouldn't mean it's right.

OP you sound fine on yours. He sounds very fit and happy to carry you.

Widgeon

Visit site
If he's a chunky build and is still bouncing around after carrying you x country he sounds fine re weight. I'm 10.5 stone and used to ride a 13.3 Highland, she had no problem carrying me. And 5'2" isn't particularly tall so presumably you're not having problems finding a saddle that fits you both. Do you have a good relationship with any of the professionals mentioned? If you think you're going to quietly worry about it, you could always tell once of them what you've said here and they can give you an honest opinion. Based on what you've said it sounds extremely unlikely to be a problem - it's hard to remember that sometimes though, when popular opinion (social media!) seems to suggest that everyone over the age of about 15 should be riding something at least 16hh.

He sounds lovely, btw - if you're happy sharing a picture we'd probably all love to see your eventing pony!