Am I too heavy?

mumof3

Visit site
I’ve just bought a 15.2hh Irish sports horse - haven’t ridden him yet as he’s 2.5 hours away from me and I get him on a weeks trial (arriving this Thursday).

Im 5ft9 and weigh 12stone (put on nearly 2 stone since start of lockdown ? so I am trying to lose it!!) do you think I’ll be too heavy at my current weight?

Ive just started to panic that I may be too heavy?! Never had to worry about my weight before. He’s a slim/medium build.

please let me know your thoughts x

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
depends on how balanced a rider you are, national hunt horses carry 12 stone over fences but the jockeys will ride lighter than the rest of us. its a bit foolhardy to buy something unseen, has he been vetted, what happens if he goes lame while you have him, if possible it would be better to cancel him coming to you and you go to try him at his owners place, or is it from a dealer...

mumof3

Visit site
F
depends on how balanced a rider you are, national hunt horses carry 12 stone over fences but the jockeys will ride lighter than the rest of us. its a bit foolhardy to buy something unseen, has he been vetted, what happens if he goes lame while you have him, if possible it would be better to cancel him coming to you and you go to try him at his owners place, or is it from a dealer...
Hes coming from a dealer. I’ve arranged for a 5 stage vetting to be done two days after he arrives. I’m really worrying now - I know that I’ll get back down to 10.5 stone but for now I don’t want to be too heavy x

mini_b

Visit site
I’d try him before you get him home for trial.

the caveat with a trial is that should any issues come about (more than just standard “settling in a new home behaviours”) the seller can say, well they didn’t do that with us, it’s you that’s caused the problem, devalued the horse, we don’t want him back. Or you’ll have to pay us to take him back.
I might be being overly cynical but it does happen.

the vetting really wants to be done before he leaves their yard by an independent vet.

As for your original question, depends on the build of the horse and how balanced you are but if you know you need to loose weight I’d continue in that direction. The lighter and fitter you are the easier it is for your horse

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i still think it would be worth your while going to try him at the yard and getting him vetted before you take ownership. so what happens if he arrives lame...... we have seen too many horror stories on here when people buy horses in a rush and it causes so much heartache its not worth it... you have asked for thoughts and mine is you are making a BIG mistake

mumof3

Visit site
I appreciate your honest opinions. I’ve done a lot of research on this dealer and I know people who have purchased horses from her before. The only thing I’m worrying about is if I’m too heavy - I didn’t think of that before x

mini_b

Visit site
I appreciate your honest opinions. I’ve done a lot of research on this dealer and I know people who have purchased horses from her before. The only thing I’m worrying about is if I’m too heavy - I didn’t think of that before x

Fair enough - but does need vetted before it comes to you.
if it arrives crocked, who is at fault? There needs to be some accountability at either end as these things do happen and without a vetting there isn’t any.

TheMule

Visit site

If you go and try the horse, with someone experienced, you will know. A bunch of strangers on the internet who haven’t seen you ride or the horse in question will never be able to answer your question.
If it were my 15.2 then no, I would not want that weight on his back routinely.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Go and see him and ride him there. You can go there and back in the day easily. And get him vetted on the yard before he leaves.
This.

2.5 hours there, 2 hours or so to see and try the horse, 2.5 hours back.

Leave 8am, be back by 3pm.

Do not buy unseen, it's only for the very experienced who even then know that it may not work, but they are prepared to deal with the consequences.

And going on your original question as to whether you are too heavy - yes, you could well be, depending on how fine his frame is. A chunky horse of the same height should be ok, though.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
To echo everyone else, go and see the horse, try the horse and if you like it then vet the horse before it leaves the dealer.

Please do not just mail order, its utter madness unless you have a lot of experience and are prepared to set fire to the ££'s you are going to shell out on purchase, transport.

Wishfilly

Visit site
As others have said, a vetting done two days after the horse arrives with you is a real problem.

There are many things that could come up that could be caused in transit or in that 48 hours with you. The seller may then say it is your liability to get the horse right- which may be a huge bill. And you may still have a horse who is not right for you.

Also, regardless of how trustworthy the seller is, they obviously cannot guarantee the horse will be suitable for you without seeing you in the flesh.

At 15.2 I think it is hard to judge- for a fine 15.2, I think your current weight, plus saddle may be too much, for a more solid and well built one, your weight would be insignificant. ISH covers a range of types, so it's very hard to say!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
OP, I've just been refreshing my mind on your posts.
Is this horse mentioned above the same as the one mentioned by you in your earlier post in the last week or so?
If so, I strongly advise you to not purchase, but get a bit more experience, there are too many alarm bells going off now, asking if too tall, too heavy, what rugs, no pre purchase exam, delivery without trying etc etc.

I apologise if I have got thing all wrong and you are not as naive in RL as your posts seem to infer.

mini_b

Visit site
OP, I've just been refreshing my mind on your posts.
Is this horse mentioned above the same as the one mentioned by you in your earlier post in the last week or so?
If so, I strongly advise you to not purchase, but get a bit more experience, there are too many alarm bells going off now, asking if too tall, too heavy, what rugs, no pre purchase exam, delivery without trying etc etc.

I apologise if I have got thing all wrong and you are not as naive in RL as your posts seem to infer.

an unseen, untried 4yo sports horse.
you really need to go see if it’s the right one for you OP - please!

we had an infamously long thread on here, novice owner bought a horse unseen and it was an absolute disaster from start to finish and it got dangerous at one point.
she’s come out the other side after a lot of investigations and heartache. horse is sane and happy but it’s now (only months down the line!) a field ornament. She dotes on him as a pet but she ultimately bought him for a riding horse....Caveat emptor

mumof3

Visit site
Thanks for your replies. I understand and agree with a lot that you have all said. I asked lots of questions on here because I’ve had a 10 year break from horses. I know I’ve forgotten a lot - I’ve got full livery sorted so an experienced person is always on hand and helping me out and I’m sure things will all come back to me quick enough. I want to do it all right hence why I’ve asked on here.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
If you want to do the right thing, to protect yourself against a poor purchase - go try the horse. And have it vetted before it leaves the dealer.

I’ve been out of horses for eight years, albeit ride occasionally. I consider myself pretty experienced and I’d never in a million years consider doing what you’re planning on. It’s complete madness.

Ellietotz

Visit site
In reply to your actual question, I wouldn't have said 12 stone is heavy for that size but I think it varies for the individual horse so can't be sure until you see it really.

mini_b

Visit site
Thanks for your replies. I understand and agree with a lot that you have all said. I asked lots of questions on here because I’ve had a 10 year break from horses. I know I’ve forgotten a lot - I’ve got full livery sorted so an experienced person is always on hand and helping me out and I’m sure things will all come back to me quick enough. I want to do it all right hence why I’ve asked on here.

its great you’ve got support on the other side and yes, it will all come back.
It’s just the actual motions of the purchase itself that’s ringing alarm bells for a few people.

Unseen, untried and effectively unvetted. I wouldn’t risk potentially losing thousands and my sanity doing this.

I did answer your question upthread, that if you are asking “am I too heavy?” and you’re aware that you need to lose weight, I would continue with that in mind that you may well be for a horse that size if it’s a sporty ISH.

mumof3

Visit site
its great you’ve got support on the other side and yes, it will all come back.
It’s just the actual motions of the purchase itself that’s ringing alarm bells for a few people.

Unseen, untried and effectively unvetted. I wouldn’t risk potentially losing thousands and my sanity doing this.

I did answer your question upthread, that if you are asking “am I too heavy?” and you’re aware that you need to lose weight, I would continue with that in mind that you may well be for a horse that size if it’s a sporty ISH.
Thank you x

Wishfilly

Visit site

Full livery, experienced support and it "all coming back" won't help you if the horse comes to you, and then is unsound on the vetting on the second day- especially if the seller can prove he was sound when leaving them.

You could end up with any one of the following:

-The seller refusing to take the horse back, and an unridable horse.
-The seller agreeing to take the horse back, but chasing you for vets bills.
-A horse you've fallen in love with, but has failed the vet so is uninsurable, and potentially a massive risk.

Hopefully you have a watertight contract, but that still doesn't help you that much.

If you are paying for transport (both ways?), vetting and 7 days of livery, you will be massively more out of pocket than if you just suck it up, get a hotel room, and go and see the horse- and get a vetting before it comes to you.

In terms of too heavy, it totally depends on the horse. Do you know how much it weighs and how many inches of bone it has?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I wouldn't say you too heavy but it's 2.5 hours drive go try the horse makes sure you like it! I have had horses all my life without a break had a few confidence issues but I think I am old enough now to know about certain things and I certainly wouldn't buy a horse unseen.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I'm surprised that in this era of horses being snapped up that a seller will send a horse on a 2.5 hour journey for a week's trial to someone they haven't met and who hasn't seen, handled or ridden the horse.
Indeed.

Such a horse, if genuinely described, should fly off the shelves without the need for a trial, which is fraught with problems for both seller and buyer.

OP, you have been suitably warned by many on here that what you are doing is very risky. It can get very messy to sort out if you do not like the horse when he arrive, or if he is sick or lame.