Am I too honest???

casey2312

s6.photobucket.com
I have a lovely horse for sale. Well schooled, honest jumper, but can be sharp and doesn't hack out alone. I am starting to think i'm being too honest with people that ring up about her.

For example someone rang today. Told them all the good bits, but also mentioned the bad bits to save wasting anyones time. I said she can be nappy, when hacked out alone. The caller said "whats the worst she does" I said.... bucked me off!.......... LOLOLOL.
grin.gif

But I believe in telling the truth, not only for the buyers sake, but for the horses. If they know what they're getting surely that has to be better for all concerned in the long run.

Do people appreciate this approach, or am I going to have this horse forever?

Help.
confused.gif

kbt2661

Visit site
I am very much the same, I tell them everything - good and bad. My husband says I am too honest, and that although I shouldn't lie I should perhaps keep some things to myself. I feel it is better that they know everything, after all we are not selling them for their faults but usually because they are outgrown. I must admit it takes a little longer to sell them but at least you know they are going somewhere that they are probably going to stay because they knew exactly what they are taking on. I always encourage people to come and ride several times in different situations and weather before they make that final decision too.

Equibeau

Visit site
Maybe it would be better to say that she prefers to hack in company and leave it at that, I am not sure, but I would be put off a seller telling me that the horse bucked her off!! I would then imagine the horse napping at a jump and bucking me off too! I am sure honesty is the best policy, but highlighting the positive may encourage a sale.

Kelly1982

Visit site
I am also very honest i want the best home for my horses but in your case i dont think i would of said 'bucked me off' as that would of put me off too.

I would of said that she can throw in the odd buck but wouldn't of made her sound dangerous if she is generally good if that makes sense.

Haflinger

Visit site
I would be honest and tell them the less good qualities but maybe highlight the better qualitites more.
But you should still be honest IMO.

Good luck!
smile.gif

peterthepony

www.bebo.com
I think you should defiently be as honest as you can with the people that will come and look at her, every horse has a downpull and a buyer would rather know about it than get a horse home and fine out!
xx

casey2312

s6.photobucket.com
The "bucked me off" thing just came out.
blush.gif
But I think I was conscious as the horse was meant for a 14 year old, and I wouldn't be able to live with it if she got injured. Even though the horse is sound in every other way.

Thanks for the replies guy's. Its good to get others opinions, and nice to see lovely honest people about too.

Visit site
I don't have a horse of my own (boo hoo) and am currently not in a position to buy one, but I know if I was, I would want to know the truth and would hope that the seller would be honest with me. So good on you, there are so many dishonest people about.

HoneyvalesHorses

Visit site
yeah deffinately tell the truth don't make the horse sound bad or go on about the bad bits but mention them because it wastes you the buyer and the horses time if you lie and even if they buy the horse it will only end up getting passed around
good luck selling xx

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
hope you find the right home for your horse, its nice to see honest people like you. its important for the buyer to know about the hacking thing.
smile.gif

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
You sound like me... I always tell people ALL a horse's faults and it takes me FOREVER to sell them... I keep telling myself I should be more 'economical' but I can't help myself...
Perhaps people EXPECT to be fibbed to, so they assume that you're STILL not telling them all the facts??

Marbs

community.webshots.com
Don't think you're being too honest. Don't know if you can be too honest when selling horses - IMO buyers have a right to know what the potential horse is really like.

Am having the same thing at the moment as you. Am being 100% honest with people who ring up about my lad. Honesty puts some people off - but if it's the right person for the horse then what it's like won't matter to them. Would rather wait and find someone that knows what to expect for the horse and is happy with it than lie (or hold back certain information) and end up with someone that thinks horse is something else and later finds out they can't manage it - for the horse's sake if not for buyers.

Can take a while..but will be worth it in the end!