Am I too tall for this horse?

alicem1707

Visit site
I am looking into part loaning a 15.3 tb x quarter horse and worried that I may be too big. I am 6 foot but only weigh 9stone 6. What do people think?

Littlelegs

Visit site
No. I'm 5'10, I look ok on my 14.2 still. I've got long legs & ride long too. It's not as tho you're heavy, think of William fox-pitt riding.

devonlass

Visit site
Crikey ,only 9 stone at 6 foot tall! You must be as thin as a rake.

I was just thinking the same (and wishing I was either that weight or several inches taller!!),although thinking back my son was never much more than 10 1/2 stone and is 6' 3-4",so maybe not so unusual?? (he was a lanky streak of pee though it has to be said lol).

OP apologies for discussing your weight so blatantly,it was said in a flattering (ok jealous is more like it) way if that helps;).Sounds like horse will have no trouble carrying you,so if you feel ok on him/her size wise then go for it!!

labruyere

Visit site
as far as the horse is concerned

height is basically irrelevant
i'm six feet tall
and four foot of that is legs!!!
(well i was before i got old and shrivelled, and my back went..... but apart from that;))

and despite various bets over the years i've never yet sat on anything where my feet touched the floor
(and i don't intend sitting on a falabella anytime soon :eek:)

what matters is weight
and with your vital statistics :D that ain't going to be a problem either....

the exceptions would be disciplines where aesthetics come into play
so showing classes
SERIOUS dressage (although no-one seems to have a problem with tiny people on massive horses!)
and things like equitational jumping (if that's the right phrase)

as one of my friends said the other day when hacking the 12.2 out

i think next time round i'll get one of these...
SO much easier to get on and off:D

.... oh actually there is another exception if you have legs the length of mine..
my 13.2 clears the jumps but i knock them down with my feet;)

Kat

Visit site
You'll be fine, my husband is 6ft2 with very long legs and he rides our 15.3hh wb no problem, even in a straight cut saddle with long stirrups. A QH will take up your leg well too.

Jazzy B

Visit site
I'm 10 stone and 5ft 10 my ponio is 15.1 and nobody has ever made any negative comments.

jenz87

Visit site
My OH rides my pony since i fell off and got rubbish!
He is 12 stone and 5'9" and my pony is 14.1hh and theyve been out to dressage and no one ever said anything, and i think they look fine!
In an ideal world she would be a bit bigger, but what can you do! :)

BigRed

Visit site
this is interesting to me as I am the same height, but I weigh more. I would not look at a horse under 16.2, because I "feel" too tall.

alicem1707

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies people! Think I'm going to arrange to visit her and go from there. I'm not planning on doing any serious jumping or dressage. Just wanting a nice quiet horse I can go for hacks on etc since this is my first time loaning a horse.

Littlelegs

Visit site
A lot of it is how much leg a horse can take up as to whether you'd want to ride it long term without compromising your riding. Big difference between a full up 14h cob & a sec b that has 2" of withers but measures the same height.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I am 5' 10" and 10 stone and ride all the horses here. The smallest is 14 hh. He is a heavyweight cob so takes up my leg quite well. My 'ideal' size horse is 15.2hh - 16 hh. I don't like riding anything much bigger. So I would say you will be just fine on a 15.3 hh.

Kat

Visit site
this is interesting to me as I am the same height, but I weigh more. I would not look at a horse under 16.2, because I "feel" too tall.

Feel too big, as in feel uncomfortable on the horse or feel to big as in you think you should have a bigger horse?

I wouldn't narrow your search too much, there is very little difference between a 16.2 and a 16hh and you could miss out on a lovely horse.

In fact a difference in build of the horse can mean that a smaller horse rides bigger. OH has ridden horses in lessons of various shapes and sizes, and often he would look too big on a taller horse and ok on the shorter one due to their build. Many horses are deceptive, you really can't tell until you get on, it isn't even just about the depth of girth, the length and set of the neck can make a difference too.

RubysGold

Visit site
I'm about 6 foot, maybe an inch shorter. I weigh 10 stone.
I'm happiest on 14.2's as they always seem so much fun. I have a 16.1 and a slightly smaller horse but have ridden smaller horses happily. You'll be fine on 15.3 :)

madiz123

Visit site
My boyfriend who is 6ft and 12 stone rides my 15.3hh argyxtb polo ponies and looks absolutely fine. So imagine you certainly will be at 9 stone! Hope it goes well xx