Amputation - So This Is What It Has Come To...

QueenOfCadence

Visit site
Hey guys...

As most of you know my ponio recently tore a sarcoid off of his boy bits, recently the wound became infected and after a couple of days of fighting the infection the vet decided to draw the line and recommend an amputation in this coming week

I went to visit my boy today and was in tears at what I saw... Today was the first time that I realized how quickly he had lost condition in just more than a week. He has lost so much weight and has lost most of the muscle on his apple bum... He's a EM dressage horse and does Open Showing but currently is in horrible condition :(

I'm so worried about him

Have any of you ever had a horse who has had something amputated? How was the op? How long was recovery time?

Please keep my boy in your thoughts and send lots of positive vibes :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

164375_173177729380121_100000636849230_434282_5127391_n.jpg

rhino

Visit site
I'm sorry, that's horrible news :( I do know of two horses (both ponies actually) who had penile amputations after being diagnosed with squamous cell carcinomas. One is still well and happy 6+ years down the line, the other was pts due to unrelated causes about 18 months after surgery, he was also managing fine :)

Dobiegirl

Visit site
It must have been a shock to have seen him drop so much weight in so little time and can only imagine how worried you are. I have no experience of this but console yourself with the thought he is in the best possible place and getting the best possible care.

Lots of healing vibes from me and wishing him a speedy recovery.

nagseastsussex

Visit site
Hi i've no experience of amputation but when my girl was in the veterinary hospital she lost so much weight it was unbelievable. We put it down to the stress she had been under the good news is once she came home she put the weight back on really quickly. Healing vibes to your boy:)

Clippy

Visit site
Don't despair! A lot of years ago, we had a horse who got a paralysed willy after being castrated and he had to have it amputated.

OK, he was in discomfort for a couple of weeks afterwards and yes, he dropped weight but he made a good recovery and went on to hunt and do fun stuff.

You may fret in the short term, but looking on the bright side, you've probably saved his life!

maresmaid

Visit site
I knew of a horse that had part of his penis (about half of it if I remember correctly) amputated due to an injury. He made a good recovery and did not suffer any further problems and I often saw him at local dressage competitions for many years after the event. Hope your boy goes on ok.

Bluebeat

New User
Visit site
Hi

My boy had over half his amputated 5 years ago due to cancer and was just like yours following surgery, I too was like OMG he looks dreadful:( but within 3-5 days he put on condition and was back in work looking and going better than he had in ages, I was amazed at how well and how quickly he recovered. So please don't worry just keep it clean:eek:

starryeyed

Visit site
I also have no experience in this area but just wanted to say that all my fingers & toes are crossed for your beautiful boy & i'm sending get well soon vibes! There seems to be a lot of positive feedback from people who have known horses who have had the op so i'm sure it will all go well and he'll be feeling a lot better soon. xx

jodie3

Visit site
When my daughter was younger and doing PC activities there was a pony there who had had his penis removed and his urethra redirected so he peed like a mare. He had made a full recovery from his surgery and was leading a full and active life.

Healing vibes for your boy!

indie999

Visit site
Providing there is no spread ie secondary etc he should be fine. On the human front they have bits and bobs removed and survive for many years/full life..good thing hopefully not many flies around to annoy the wound etc. But good luck sounds like a good idea to get it off.

miss_c

Visit site
A yard I used to be at had an old pony who had had his penis amputated. He lived to about 35 bless him and was still as naughty!

Other than that a pony I know will be having their tail amputated soon. :( We're hoping all will go well.

Inchy

Visit site
We had a livery whose show horse had abour 3/4 of his penis removed because of sarcoids, he lost loads of condition and was very depressed in horspital..took a few weeks of being at home to perk up again and he then he looked himself again in no time! He's very touchy abou people looking at it now, poor chap!

I was in hospital a couple of years ago after an accident - lost well over a stone inthe 10 days I was there and looked dreadful, hair was dull, skin pale, no energy, thoroughly depressed... And I understood what was happening!! so no wonder he's not looking great! Don't worry I'm sure once he's back home he'll be fine! :)

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Unless the weight loss is for sinister reasons, don't fret - less weight is better for him anyway. Too many horses are too fat and yes, that includes dressage horses and show horses. In fact being lighter may well improve his recovery period. Hope the sarcoids are gone for good.

Spring Feather

Visit site
Oh dear :( Has there been a new development since yesterday for the vet to decide this after only a couple of days on antibiotics? This has come as a shock to me so I'm not surprised you are worried and concerned!