An all-in-one thread (hacking/hi-viz/barefoot/horseflies)

Cedars

Visit site
Hi :)

Ok, trying to do it all in one thread so I don't flood the forum with pointlessness!

First... Puz and I went hacking today :) ok, so we only went down the road, about 200metres, and my OH walked by her side, BUT it was our first time ever with our feet touching anything but school surface, and she was pretty blooming fabulous :) we did lots of halt transitions, partially so I felt confident that she'd stop, and also so that she could take everything in around her. She was fab :) I'll put a photo below.

Hi-Viz - was there ever a definitive decision on what slogans are allowed on Hi-Viz gear? Obviously Puzzle is only 3, and although she is pretty perfect in every way and I obviously wouldn't take her out unless I trusted her, she IS a baby and it would be good to have 'Young Horse' or 'Horse in Training' on my Hi-Viz, on the off chance that people would be a little more sympathetic if she does take a little time or need a little space. I don't want to get in to deep water though. Thoughts?!

Horseflies - poor Puz is being attacked by them really badly, and is covered in bumps :( I kill on sight, but obviously I'm not there 24/7. Is there anything that would actually get rid of them? She has a NAF citronella tag in her tail (not that I think its actually doing anything...) and she has been fly sprayed with some non-descript spray that I have in the tack room, but she is suffering :( poor poppet.

Barefoot (ooooh I hate that word) - I have every intention of keeping the Puz without shoes - I can't afford them, and my farrier doesn't think that she should need them. However - her feet chip, constantly. At the moment she has a chunk missing from her off hind, a chip gone from her front... the farrier is not worried, she is sound as a pound on them, but I am wondering whether there is anything easy I could be doing to strengthen up her tootsies, as we now start going out and about a bit more? She chips them on stones in her field, but I can't remove every stone! Any feed, nail polish, supplement? Cheaper the better, please..!

Ok, thats it :) photo as promised :)

IMG_2857.jpg

x

katherine1975

Visit site
Hi. Puz looks lovely and well done on your hack. I use Cooper's Fly Repellant Plus and it seems to be working or Power Phaser fly spray.

BlairandAzria

Visit site
Aww she's gorgeous! I've read a few threads where you've mentioned her so it's Sooo nice to see her and put a horsey face to a name! :)

Flys the only fly spray I have found to work is the NAF deet black bottle with red letters. It smells pretty toxic though. The skin so soft is good but I've found this year it's not touching the flys ( the crazy weather must be making them super strong or something)

Feets...mine is unshod I feed the equimins meta balance and I've seen a real improvement in the strength and horn growth of my boys hooves. If you say puzzle is only ever on a surface maybe she would benefit of doing some more work on varied surfaces/ stone tracks/ road work etc.. All helps strength I find, plus now you're both hacking out like pros, and it's far cheaper to try than expensive supplements!!

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Just wanted to say that Puzzle is a real beauty! Our high vis says 'Please slow down, young horse in training' (I think that's what it says) and 'please pass wide and slow'. I think that is fairly bog standard for high vis slogans?

I much prefer using creams for keeping flies off as they seem to work better for us. I like Equimins anti midge biting cream but not sure how it is for horse flies, we fortunately don't have many around our way. :)

TuscanBunnyGirl

Visit site
Aw I do love your posts :) Puz is so lovely!
Sorry I don't have much advice about hooves but someone did tell me once that they strengthen up to the work load so if you're doing road work, in time, they become stronger but don't quote me on that as it's just what's ive heard :) x

Visit site
I recommend Farriers Formula for improving hoof horn quality or any feed/supplement containing Biotin. Also, Kevin Bacon is fantastic for keeping hooves moist and preventing them from cracking. :)

Walrus

Visit site
Lovely horse.

Not sure about the hi viz.

Would recommend Power Phaser spray - quite expensive but IMO worth it - beware it's smells absolutely vile!

Feet - my lads feet chip a bit, especially as I hack on chalky tracks - I don't like it but farrier isn't bothered about it and pony doesn't seem to notice. I usually put aqueous cream on his feet when it's dry to make sure they don't get brittle - haven't put any on yet this year!

LD&S

Visit site
Another vote for aqueous cream, my mare's hooves get very dry I was wetting them hoof and sole but it wasn't enough so I now put aqueous cream onto the hoof when it's wet, I noticed a differance after one application. the problem with using oils is it doesn't allow any more moisture into the hoof as it acts almost like a sealant, aqueous cream about £2.50 from sainsburys, makes a change for anything horsey to be under a tenner.

Cedars

Visit site
Fab, I'll give it a go with the aqueous cream!

Its a sort of catch 22 as she needs to be doing work on different surfaces to harden her hooves, but at the same time, I'm worried about her baby feet on those surfaces in case they make her sore LOL!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
She looks a lovely sort :) Might it be worth getting some Hi-Viz leg bands for her, they catch the eye from the movement and (god forbid) allows her to be seen should there be any parting of the ways while you are out and about :D

Cedars

Visit site
She looks a lovely sort :) Might it be worth getting some Hi-Viz leg bands for her, they catch the eye from the movement and (god forbid) allows her to be seen should there be any parting of the ways while you are out and about :D

She does have bands on her back legs (not sure if they can be seen in the photo!) and I will be adding more and more Hi-Viz - tail straps etc :) but we're not allowed to part company, I doubt I bounce very well! :p

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I definitely agree about the leg bands. We go with them, a neck strap, tail wrap thingy and then a tabard for us. I like to think that we can then we seen easily from all sides and if we part ways!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
She does have bands on her back legs (not sure if they can be seen in the photo!) and I will be adding more and more Hi-Viz - tail straps etc :) but we're not allowed to part company, I doubt I bounce very well! :p

Ah didn't spot the leg bands :) I have to agree that parting company is not a good move, I am sure that I used to bounce, but not any more!

Ladydragon

Visit site
Hi :)

Ok, trying to do it all in one thread so I don't flood the forum with pointlessness!

She looks lovely...:)

We're walking our youngster out at the moment as he's unbacked... I'm the other end of the lead rope with a vest with a big red L on it and youngster has his own L plate around his chest with an easy release from the D rings... Husband has the same hi vis vest as me and he'll either be in the middle of the road for more visibility or in front/rear depending if there's a bend...

I was using Pro Hoof from Ebay (after advice on here) on our TB as his hooves were abysmal... Together with adding micronised linseed I would definitely say I saw an improvement to the point the farrier suggested removing his rear shoes to give his hooves chance to toughen up... The ones without shoes don't have pretty looking feet at all - bar one who has cement hooves and doesn't self trim, the others lose little chunks or chips from here and there and just need a quick tidy up from the farrier rather than trimming back over growth... They don't look as neat as a shod horse but they do what they're supposed to do... :)

Littlelegs

Visit site
As far as 'young horse' tabards go there's no actual facts that I have heard that its admitting liability anymore than L plates on a car are. But I think a red L probably is easier for a driver to understand.
For horse flys, I've been using the human stuff for biting insects, bought cheap in home bargains.
The feet I'll leave to the barefoot taliban!
But looks a nice sort & glad first hack went well.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Clover's feet chip still, we're working through it with Naf pro feet and trying to keep a stable environment for her feet.
Also, I believe like someone has said they will get better with the right work, for the moment they aren't getting much "toughen up" stimulus, so I guess that's why they aren't!

Puzz looks fantastic, a real credit to you H :)