An antidote to all the livery yard horror stories!

Allie5

Visit site
I work about ten mins away from my yard but have to drive 15 mins in the other direction to collect my son from nursery. My evenings are always a bit hectic trying to fit everything in when i don't finish work until 5. Add in the snow that arrived yesterday (im in Glasgow btw) and i was racing about trying to get my son and up to bring my two horses in. Arrived at the yard in a breathless sweaty mess to find a fellow livery had mucked out and filled my haynets for me. She said she knew i would be racing about and she had some spare time! So i was able to settle the horses and enjoy a bit of a cuddle with them both which made all the stress just fade away! Lovely livery is only 15 and a genuine gem. So not all livery yards are terrible! I love my yard and we all muck in and help each other where we can.

Rose Folly

Visit site
My liveries are wonderful. They all help each other - and me too. I'm deemed too old for poo-picking, so I feed, rug, water, hay their horses and clean the yard - all live out with barn access - and the girls, bless them, do all the barrow-heaving. They will always back each other up, and when I came off on my head on the road the other day (b....y pheasants) one organised getting the 3 horses home, one came with me in the ambulance, and another, who'd happened to be lunching at the local pub and came on the scene, followed the ambulance in her car. What more could anyone ask for?

Suffolkangel

Visit site
I'm on a small DIY yard, there's only 3 of us there, and we all help eachother out... I damaged my ankle on friday so havent been able to drive, and they've checked and watered my ponies for me (thankfully they live out and got loads of grass) at no extra cost. Its so nice that we can help each other out so much whether it be holiday cover or illness... LOVE my yard... :)

BobbyMondeo

Visit site
Even though i am on a big yard i have a lot of people i can call on to help me out with my horse if needs be and i return the favour, we have great facilities and helpful staff...in general.

LaurenM

Visit site
I broke my back in April so have had a lot of help :) now that I'm working full time I arrive at night to find that she's already been done most of the time. There are good people out there :)

BorgRae

Visit site
What a lovely story!!

I'm on a Livery yard with about 15 other liveries... Every single one of them is a genuinely nice person!!

They are all so lovely, we do Secret Santa, and Christmas meals, BBQ's in Summer with a camp out in one of the fields, show days, all sorts! There is never a cross word and always genuine concern if one of the horses is unwell.

I love my liveries as well! They're all fab, and would hate it any other way!! :D

sula

Visit site
I`ve been on bigger yards where the liveries were lovely and all helped each other out. I`ve been on smaller yards which were absolutely hideous. And I`ve been on a mix of both. Now I`m on a tiny yard and it is absolutely fabulous! My pony is so happy and settled that it feels like he`s been traded in for an entirely different boy!

A big thumbs up to all the lovely liveries and yo`s who make such a big difference and who enable us to really enjoy our time around our horses!

measles

Visit site
I have a small livery yard - not too far from the OP - with clients who have been with me 18 years, 14 years, 8 years and a couple who have "only" been for a few years. Everyone helps each other out and recently one client gave my son her old car that she had just upgraded from for his 17th birthday.

Happy yards do exist - and happy 17yo's! :D

Beausmate

Visit site
It's great that so many of you appreciate the help. I mucked out seven extra horses on Christmas day one year, (one livery had done hers already) as a present for everyone. Only two people said thanks.

I've done my friend's horse for her a few times and she's done mine. One of the liveries at a yard I was on a while ago went out and broke the ice on my horses' water trough a couple of times a day through the winter.

Nice liveries at current yard, no bitches, no divas, just nice people.

miss_c

Visit site
A friend and I at the yard help each other out. I turn hers out on a morning, she puts mine to bed on a night when she's not on call! If I know she's on call and think she's running late I will muck out for her, and she's done the same for me before now as well! We just say 'the poo fairy visited'! It works really well, neither of us feels like we're being taken for a mug, and at the same time we have a laugh! The only downside is it means we rarely see each other!

Zimzim

Visit site
I'm on a DIY yard and We help one another to turn out and to bring in the horses as we all work different shifts etc.

Whoever is up first on an afternoon/ evening generally brings all the horses in (as some of us dont finish work till after 5.00pm during the week), and if the weather is bad we take it in turns to bring the horses in at lunch time.

Its pretty good, as no-one is ever stuck for help and everyone usually returns the favours, so its never much of an issue.:)

Mlini

Visit site
There is one girl on my yard who is extremely helpful! If you are running a little late, you usually get there to find her in your stable mucking out or bedding up! Or halfway back from the field with a muddy horse that belongs to you! :D The girl that works on the yard was off sick with a suspected broken back (it wasn't btw) and this helpful livery did all her chores for two weeks! - and she has a 9-4 job too!! She is an angel!

Niddlynoo

Visit site
Our farmer can be quite prescriptive in the times the horses are allowed out in the winter. We all muck in together and try to work it so no-one has to go up too often. We share chores on Christmas day, it works well. There is always one, however, who takes advantage but never helps out in return - oh well.......