An early "Next weekend" thread - a hot one!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Baby horse isn't really up to competing yet, and much of our training is mid week. So, I will start an early weekend thread!

It is due to be really hot on Friday, a pity as I hoped to go to the local farm ride. I will see if it will really be over 30 degrees, as I think that would be my cut off. Saturday I thought about a jumping lesson, will see again how the weather goes. He has a slightly loose shoe and the farrier isn't here until the Friday after, so we may yet be having a very quiet weekend and week. TBH, he has been a busy boy so a week off wouldn't hurt.

A couple of photos from today. We are still doing baby things XC as he isn't the bravest yet. Mainly going from trot for anything new. We did a few 1sts again. First time jumping off a step as opposed to stepping down. First time jumping a log onto a bank. First time with a 'blind' hedgeline fence, that was tight enough that it looked like an owl hole. First time jumping a jump out of water, although he did over-jump the first time, but went up and not forwards and landed with a back leg the wrong side of the fence. Doh! Managed just fine 2nd time though. That is why I am pleased, he genuinely tries and doesn't stop twice.

I am just fine to take time, it is allowing me to get my core fitness back up!

Anyone else got plans?
287091766_702798860806488_8322869187703519166_n.jpg
287506367_373385661330052_4633229186128058027_n.jpg287351036_313325240879379_4085239085394856567_n.jpg287478933_558722688992230_7938954902371236134_n.jpg

smiggy

Visit site
I have riding club team dressage on Saturday, am getting a bit stressed about the heat. If it was just me I’d be pulling out . It’s my chunky black pony that doesn’t like the heat ( to be fair she is a giant black blob heat sink ?) and it’s on grass which is going to be like bloody concrete ?
Sunday am taking little cob that can to bd, have mad plan to get area festival qualification with two weeks till qualifying date cut off ?

DressageCob

Visit site
I have hogged the poorly boy. I grew his mane out for a while but he looks too retired so I have started sprucing him back up again. This weekend I will probably take him on more mental health walks (in hand hacking) if it's not too hot. I feel very sorry for him having to wear a corset in this heat, poor lad.

I got my sheet back from online dressage with the baby horse and I'm chuffed with the comments. Very fair and we got an 8 for our first centre line (a shock, since I thought it looked rather wobbly personally!!) I'm going to put him in a group lesson on Sunday to see how he copes working around a few other horses, with a view to taking him to a wee competition somewhere soon.

I won tickets to dogfest for this weekend but I don't think I will have chance to go.

DressageCob

Visit site
I have hogged the poorly boy. I grew his mane out for a while but he looks too retired so I have started sprucing him back up again. This weekend I will probably take him on more mental health walks (in hand hacking) if it's not too hot. I feel very sorry for him having to wear a corset in this heat, poor lad.

I got my sheet back from online dressage with the baby horse and I'm chuffed with the comments. Very fair and we got an 8 for our first centre line (a shock, since I thought it looked rather wobbly personally!!) I'm going to put him in a group lesson on Sunday to see how he copes working around a few other horses, with a view to taking him to a wee competition somewhere soon.

I won tickets to dogfest for this weekend but I don't think I will have chance to go.

I couldn’t resist a photo of the freshly shaved lad

048C300A-3D97-4FD3-AF8B-8901D1364C52.jpeg

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Visiting share horse on Saturday. It's sadly no longer a share as I've moved away but having to pop back to do some jobs in our old house and was offered the extra ride while I'm back. Genuinely gutted to leave share horse and the yard she's on. The whole thing has been fab, I've been so lucky!

Brought forward a riding lesson at new RS to tomorrow due to the heat on Friday. Needed something to look forward to given end of share. It's a big RS that seems to have a lot on offer for adults without their own horse so I'm really excited to have the assessment lesson and see what it's like there.

Michen

Visit site
Eventing again! We are actually going 3 weekends on the trot, which is quite good for hot head Bog. He is just hacking in between though with the odd dressage lesson every couple of weeks.

Waverton 90 (assuming grounds ok).. followed by... a 100. eeek.

blood_magik

Visit site
Nothing planned again… 4yo is now up to 20 mins walking per day so might get back on board over the weekend.

Still deciding wether or not to take the plunge and buy his brother. I was ? at the price of comparable youngsters both here and on the continent so thinking it might just be worth taking the risk and buying him now before his price sky rockets. ?

Peglo

Visit site
I have a jump lesson tomorrow night which I’m really looking forward to. Really liked the instructor last time. He comes up about once a month. I’m hoping we can show off some of our progress.

there’s a charity working hunter on Saturday but I’m not taking Tali. It will be nice to go to an event as a spectator and watch other people ride. So I will hopefully just hack this weekend.

J_sarahd

Visit site
My boy is off to his loan home on Sunday. I am absolutely heartbroken, especially as he has been going incredibly recently, but it’s the best thing for both of us. He really is a special boy. And I’m just glad it’s not a proper goodbye like it would be if I sold him.

We are having a last cross country school tonight (hope it isnt too hot!) as a last ride as I’m at a wedding on Saturday.

Alibear

Visit site
Nothing planned might hack with a friend on Friday evening, weather permitting. Amber has been away for the last two weekends, so we're resting at home this weekend. We're off again for WES camp the following weekend, so it makes sense to rest up.
We have been working on loading last night and again tonight as after her 4-hour trip, she's not been quite so happy about the idea. She improved quickly last night so hoping to consolidate on that tonight, so there might be some more of that over the weekend, depending on how things go.

Last edited:

teapot

Visit site
Visiting share horse on Saturday. It's sadly no longer a share as I've moved away but having to pop back to do some jobs in our old house and was offered the extra ride while I'm back. Genuinely gutted to leave share horse and the yard she's on. The whole thing has been fab, I've been so lucky!

Brought forward a riding lesson at new RS to tomorrow due to the heat on Friday. Needed something to look forward to given end of share. It's a big RS that seems to have a lot on offer for adults without their own horse so I'm really excited to have the assessment lesson and see what it's like there.

Ohh where you trying? PM if you prefer.

Nothing for me this weekend as coach is on leave :( I’m also one that would rather not ride than have a lesson with someone I don’t know etc/not of same quality.

Shall use the time to do a good ground/rain overnight dance for anyone needing it!

j1ffy

Visit site
I'm getting married on Saturday, so a big one for us!

Fingers crossed the sun holds up!

Congratulations!! Have a wonderful day.

Work has been so busy the last two weeks that I've been missing out on riding - so annoying when that happens ? Although one reason for missing riding was my first trip to Royal Ascot on Tuesday, which was fun although I was pretty stressed organising an outfit as fashion is definitely not my thing! I presented at a conference yesterday so I volunteered to drive to and from Ascot, I must admit that felt quite smug waking up yesterday without a hangover having seen how much my friends put away in the sunshine.

I'll be back in the saddle this evening for a hack. We'll see how the heat is for the next two days then we're off to a 'polework to gridwork' clinic on Sunday which sounds interesting. It's due to be drizzling and 18 degrees by then so back to the usual British summer...

Petmurf

Visit site
We did a farm ride yesterday so nothing today and tomorrow as it will be too hot to ride, we don’t have a flat shaded area to ride, everywhere is up hill so no good for short legs cob in the heat. Saturday is back to normal temps so we’ll hack out in the morning

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Not sure what to make of my lesson. I will always call myself a novice and try never to overstate what I've done/can do, but I think they had either read the wrong client notes or misread what I had written then thought I'd mislead them. I want to improve, know I'm out of practice with school work and have bad habits but jesus I felt utterly useless within the first 2 minutes and after about 5 or 10 they changed horse because I couldn't get the first one just to walk in the direction I was supposed to, due to my apparently awful riding and position. Better on the second horse but still absolutely no feel good factor. I don't need to be told I'm doing great when I'm not but when I've had assessment lessons before they usually have at least something positive to say or take the time to ask about me/my experience/goals. I'm sure my riding will improve if I persevere there but need to find balance of the technical side with the enjoyment/psychological side. Feeling deflated anyway and even more sad about leaving my share.

Wishfilly

Visit site
No plans for me as pony has tweaked a back muscle, so having a bit of time off. Might attempt to long rein him around the tracks at the yard if it is not too hot! (Vet's advice is that long reining/lunging long and low should help- he is a lot of effort to lunge!).

Not sure what to make of my lesson. I will always call myself a novice and try never to overstate what I've done/can do, but I think they had either read the wrong client notes or misread what I had written then thought I'd mislead them. I want to improve, know I'm out of practice with school work and have bad habits but jesus I felt utterly useless within the first 2 minutes and after about 5 or 10 they changed horse because I couldn't get the first one just to walk in the direction I was supposed to, due to my apparently awful riding and position. Better on the second horse but still absolutely no feel good factor. I don't need to be told I'm doing great when I'm not but when I've had assessment lessons before they usually have at least something positive to say or take the time to ask about me/my experience/goals. I'm sure my riding will improve if I persevere there but need to find balance of the technical side with the enjoyment/psychological side. Feeling deflated anyway and even more sad about leaving my share.

IMO, if they make you feel awful, it's not the place for you. I hope you manage to find somewhere else (or perhaps a new share!).

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
No plans for me as pony has tweaked a back muscle, so having a bit of time off. Might attempt to long rein him around the tracks at the yard if it is not too hot! (Vet's advice is that long reining/lunging long and low should help- he is a lot of effort to lunge!).

IMO, if they make you feel awful, it's not the place for you. I hope you manage to find somewhere else (or perhaps a new share!).

It might have just not been the right click with the instructor - saying the right things but something not quite right in the delivery/reception of them! There's another instructor I could book with so I may try that before looking elsewhere. I think that happened at the last RS where the assessment was a bit meh (but definitely did not make me feel awful) but then I had a lesson with another instructor who I really liked and was glad I went back. I never like to blame the horses either and I'm sure the first one could teach me an awful lot but it really wasn't a great start as he was sensitive to the seat aids and apparently I was giving all the wrong ones so we went everywhere except straight on! I love getting on an RS horse that makes you want to take them home straight away (and is a bit forgiving!)

Wishfilly

Visit site
It might have just not been the right click with the instructor - saying the right things but something not quite right in the delivery/reception of them! There's another instructor I could book with so I may try that before looking elsewhere. I think that happened at the last RS where the assessment was a bit meh (but definitely did not make me feel awful) but then I had a lesson with another instructor who I really liked and was glad I went back. I never like to blame the horses either and I'm sure the first one could teach me an awful lot but it really wasn't a great start as he was sensitive to the seat aids and apparently I was giving all the wrong ones so we went everywhere except straight on! I love getting on an RS horse that makes you want to take them home straight away (and is a bit forgiving!)

If you do go back I would make it really clear as to the sort of horse you would like- although hopefully after an assessment lesson they will be able to match you with something suitable. But I don't think many people pay to be made to feel useless.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
That was an instructor failure not a you failure.

I've had to swap horses before with someone new, sometimes it can be a mis-match. But, there are ways of doing this without making the rider feel rubbish. It is more that either you or the horse needs something different rather than that you are deficient.

I had a few horses, both commercially and privately, who could (and delighted in) teaching anyone from complete novice to people out eventing. They would co-operate and understand that you mean well. They had energy and intelligence, but were totally on side. One had a wicked sense of humour and would do exactly as told. Many novices on the lunge learned walk to canter and back to walk, when they simply wanted to have a little trot. He did what they said. He unofficially gave people their first taste of lateral work, if they weren't central. If you became unsteady though, he would gently stop. Great teacher of correct aids. Not stale.

Charlie Horse was the opposite, would work out what you wanted and do it, whatever your body malfunctions were. Aids were of little importance to him. Not so good for learning the correct aids, he needed the correct energy. If you didn't really want to canter (nervous) he would refuse to, whatever your arms, legs, seat did. Great for confidence and examining your inner soul riding. If you threw your soul into canter or over a jump, he got it. Again, if you lost balance, he would gently stop.

Such adaptable horses exist, but many horses need a close match to their skill set, especially if stale of the work. There are ways of swapping out though. It may have simply been a stale and intolerant horse, or a high energy one that isn't fail safe, or a nappy one that needs more focus, or a young one who needs more all round direction.

I would give them a second chance, but don't put up with the instructor leaving you feeling rubbish. If one does that to me, I tell them that I feel rubbish. See what they say.

Last edited:

Peglo

Visit site
Last nights lesson was great. Tali was awesome and really got the hang of what I was asking her. It was quite a tricky lesson again and she figured it out really quickly. We also did a pretty big jump (for a green 14.2 and a green me ?) and neither of the other people in the lesson tried it so I’m feeling proud of us. I feel so blessed with her. The weather for the rest of the weekend looks pretty crap so might just end up doing some inhand work.

have a good one everyone.