An education of the countryside

emilylou

Visit site
I have been thinking about this for a while and would be interested to hear others opinions on this..

Having not grown up in a rural community and becoming involved in hunting and country pursuits later on, I initially found it very difficult to find out information about hunting, shooting and general wildlife management and farming practices without having the right connections to talk to someone and seeking information out about how things work. From the outside it is not easy to understand why things are done the way they are and as far as I know there is no resource to educate people about the countryside.
I know that the people who would most benefit from reading such a resource wouldn't bother but I am sure that there are many people who would be interested and greatly benefit from a 'countryside manual' of sorts which could contain everything from explaining public rights of way, correct use etc. to being able to read a balanced report of the history of hunting, why hunting was established (ecosystems etc) and how it operates today and everything in between.
I'm thinking a website with a large number of contributions from those who are knowledgeable about each subject. I think it could make a real difference to people's view of the countryside as so many people want to engage well with it but lack knowledge and understanding and how to.. I know people who didn't realise the crop they were walking in was wheat- and therefore food they eat! Common sense just isn't so common anymore, and it surely would be of benefit to all sides to educate the common fool? Love your enemies and all that ;)

Thoughts and ideas welcomed!

Shay

Visit site
I think the countryside alliance has pretty much covered that. The information is - as you say - there for those with an open mind to read it.

From really long experience there are two seperate issues here.

One is countryside access / lore. That is SO important. I live the the South East. We are (and mostly still are) a rural community. But we are also on a 30 min fast train to London. Communicating and educating basically town folk on the realities of rural life. Getting in there and teaching kids the basics of the countryside code - absolutely invaluable. I had a discussion on our local FB group recently about being aware that horses on bidleways are not always in control - or indeed mounted. That type of education - invaluable.

Trying to speak to sabs - after all these years not so sure. The evidence is there. They can read it and make thier own decisions. One of the best writers on the subject is in fact an ex LACS chair! I used to think that I would love to sit down and have a really good discussion with hunt monitors. In some way they do a good job - hunts should be within the law and hunts that are have nothing to fear from those who wish to properly monitor. But those who attend masked up, verbally abusing riders, injuring horses and hounds. They are not there to ensure the law is complied with - they are there for a political or class war. In many ways I would still love to sit down for an appropriately socially distanced coffee and have an open discussion - I want to learn. But I've afraid many years experience has taught me they do not want that exchnage - not to say I am right or I want to persuade them etc. Just an open, genuine, honest exchange. Everyone can learn, from everyone.

But if we can settle to educating folk why they need to lift thier food waste bin up when they put thier bins out at night. I'd settle for that!