an end has come to the problem, my livery leaves at the weekend

samsaccount

Visit site
Tonight I recieved a letter from my livery (she gave it to me as i was leaving) inside the envelope was my money she owes me for the weeks keep and a letter explaning that she will be moving her horse at the weekend due to moving house and wanting her closer to her as she has a new born baby. so i am going to place an ad in my local shop advertising the stable to any other horse owners in need of livery.

unsure how they are going to travel her, woudn't load last time which is the only reason she stayed here and the livery took over the ownership of the mare.

also unsure why she put it in a letter hmm, but yes you may all be jumping for joy that i will not be complaining about her anymore, thank you all for your advice and for putting up with me

the watcher

Visit site
How they are going to travel her shouldn't worry you, it is their responsibility to move the horse.

Can I suggest you think very carefully about what conditions you want to set on any potential livery, and insist on seeing a passport and record of jabs, and establish a worming system. Hopefully then the ground rules will be clear and in writing and prevent similar problems in the future.

Tia

Visit site
I think this is possibly the best outcome. You are not happy with her, and she quite obviously isn't happy with things either, so I think for all concerned it is a perfect outcome.
smile.gif

I thought that you conversed with her through letters though?
crazy.gif
All people who left or whom I wanted to leave my yard, were given notice by letter. That is standard practice.

How she moves the horse is no concern of anyone except her, so you are best not becoming involved.

Just let her go and wish her luck. I personally have felt ever so slightly sorry for her to be honest. I'm sure you are a lovely person, but all this negativity you have created about her, I feel she is bound to feel too, which could very well have been the reason she doesn't come to the yard much.

Anyway, to end of a good note - you have what you wanted and hopefully she has what she wants - so it's good all round. Be happy.
smile.gif

_April_

Visit site
That's good news
smile.gif

I do agree with Tia, I also felt a bit sorry for her as I think you were so stressed about the situation that you started to overreact to the little things (as we all do!). I would think carefully whether or not you want to take on any more liveries.
All's well that ends well though.

samsaccount

Visit site
Watcher, yes I am certainly preparing to ensure everything is covered this time around to prevent any problem, have had 4 people and their horses stable with us and only one person has cuased a problem. but do not want to risk it again.

Tia i try not to be negative around her as i always attempt to stike up a converstation with her and everything, but yeah maybe it is me
frown.gif

Myabe i did overreact, sorry

SpruceRI

Visit site
Perhaps she read the comments on here and was upset - for reasons of putting it in a letter and not telling you verbally.

Whichever, sounds like she could do with putting the horse on full livery for a bit or finding a sharer.

Looking after a horse in winter is little fun and with the added stress of a new born baby she probably feels at her wits end.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Best thing all round I think, but I would think long and hard about whether you really want another livery.
I am afraid I ended up feeling sorry for her rather than you, imagine if you were her with a new baby and knew you were watching/timing her care of her horse...
I think she knew you would check her horse hadn't any serious problems and felt perhaps under the circumstances you would understand that being heavily pregnant and then with a new baby, sometime the horsecare will slip a little. Provided the horse had food and water it really didn't matter if their routine wasn't accurate.
If you want another livery, draw up a contract and explain exactly what you want them to do or not do. Then leave them to it. If you want a shared care type arrangement then say so.
As for leaving by letter it is only good manners to do it that way, and how or where they move the horse is nothing to do with you is it?
If you want to be a livery yard owner I'm sorry you have a lot to learn. (it took me years of learning not to interfere unless the animal was at risk, and not to expect too much of people, you'll either learn or give up!)

Happytohack

Visit site
Good - this seems a good solution to your problem. You have obviously not been happy with their care of their horse and they have not been happy either. Hopefully, your next livery will be on the same wavelength as yourself. The other alternative is for you to take another horse on full livery, so that you are the one in control of when the horse goes out/comes in/is fed/etc.

samsaccount

Visit site
To an extent I don't blame you for feeling sorry for her but this is the first livery I have delt with on my own so forgive me for making some mistakes which I know I have made.
But I coudln't help but try and know what was going on since I found it quite uncomfortable that they were only sometimes coming up, sometimes not at all for a few days and the horse was left in the stable all day with no food or water and were uncontactable and have been right from the start. I understand that things will be different as she was pregnant but she took the horse on whilst she was pregnant and it has been like this right from the start, I just got slightly worse as time went by. I will certainly try to correct my mistakes and I am open to any advice which people may offer to me.

Jaylen, I admit I was probably nit picking at the problems I was having and that was wrong of me. So really although I was very uncoftable that the horse was only sometimes fed and sometimes not, it wasn't a massive problem, I was just out of line and I appologise for that. This is just a whole new learning curve for me.

Tia

Visit site
Okay if you want a little advice for future liveries here you go:

Firstly, NEVER ever assume that you know when the liveries have or have not been to see their horse! You can NEVER know that unless you camp out at your stables and rig up some tripwires. Some people stay for hours with their horses......some pop in for 1 minute. It is their right to spend as much OR as little time with their horses as they wish.

Secondly, do not interfere with the way they keep their horses. It is absolutely none of your business and will ONLY become your business in cases of severe negligence or cruelty issues.

Thirdly, be careful where you write complaints about your liveries - there are lots of eyes and ears around.
wink.gif

Fourthly, never give advice when it is not asked for.

Fifthly, another reminder - do NOT interfere with the way liveries choose to keep their horses.

I'm guessing you are only young, so how you have dealt with this situation is possibly how a lot of us may have dealt with it at your age. You will learn in time that this is NOT the way to do it.

Don't feel disheartened by all of our comments - I said them to give you a bit of an eyeopener as to how to be successful in this field of business, not as a put-down to you personally. We are all older and wiser, we know how to keep good business-practice and how to keep our liveries happy.....there is nothing worse than an unhappy livery OR an unhappy yard owner.

Final suggestion - enjoy it and don't take things too seriously. Honestly the horse will not die from being left out in a field overnight, if people have little or no routine what does it matter to you? The horse will be happy enough so long as there is food around.

Chill!
smile.gif

_Jazz_

Visit site
Yipeee, you are free
grin.gif

Personally I have been with you on this one, if more people cared enough to 'nip problems or potential problems in the bud' then maybe animals wouldn't be left to get to a case of severe neglect before someone acted.
I wish you well
x