An equestrian property WWYD?

kit279

Visit site
I am now definitely moving for work this year from near Cambridge to near Oxford which means selling my lovely house with 10 acres in Newmarket (sniff sniff) and trying to find something near Oxford. Am also getting married in September to a non-horsey but vaguely interested in learning other half - both of us are doctors so we need to be able to get to all the hospitals (Oxford, Reading, Milton Keynes, Banbury, Slough, Aylesbury and High Wycombe) in the area as will rotate through them all in the next few years.

I've got a buyer lined up for the house in Newmarket, off market as it's not even been advertised yet. I could sell straightaway, stick the horses on livery and be a cash buyer if something came up - however Oxford area is pretty expensive and I accept there's going to be a compromise somewhere. For me it's the house, for my other half, its the horses! I've been to see a few places - one of which was ideal and under budget but sold before we had really got our act together in terms of deciding to move.

The current options are:-

1) 4 bedroom house with absolutely amazing dressage equestrian set up, 20x60m top-notch arena, 9 stables, 8 acres, sort of near Milton Keynes so would be a slog of a commute if we are posted to Reading or Slough, top end of budget and would need a mortgage but could move in straightaway and enjoy it, nothing needs doing on the house or horse-wise
2) 3 bedroom bungalow, 12 acres, no horse facilites but could revamp subject to planning permission, could buy without a mortgage, near Aylesbury
3) 5 bedroom house, 3 acres, no equestrian facilities as yet, again top end of budget, has a separate cottage which would be really useful as annexe for parents in the future
4) Quirky 4 bedroom house, with 4 acres, 4 stables, near Oxford, could buy without a mortgage, odd set-up as semi-detached and very very quirky!

I do actually want to be able to ride and compete, after 2 years working full-time away from the horses, and having decided to move, I really would like to crack on. However, none of the above are completely perfect. Should I sell and then wait for something to come along or just pick one of the above?

noodle_

Visit site
personally......i would avoid having a mortgage if you can..... but thats just cause everyones ideal is to be mortgage free :D

out of the 4 you posted though - the 2nd sounds the best - more land... and you could get the facilities how you choose??? i knwo it takes time and planning but??

Fools Motto

Visit site
Number 2 - you can make the horse part what you want. With that much land it is easier, and maybe throw in a nice conservatory to increase the size of the bungalow? (please the OH?)

SpottedCat

Visit site
Can you both face doing what needs to be done after doing the Newmarket house? Or do you want plug and play? I think that should be the deciding factor really!

BBH

Visit site
I'd go with prop 3.

I know its less land but still a useful amount and combining horses with a full on medical career although desirable is going to be hard going. Even managing a large amount of land / yard can be time assuming.

Big plus is for the future in that a separate living accommodation is a bonus for elderly parents or loud teenagers.

A nice house is more of a pull for non horsey other half and maybe easier to sell to a wider market if you relocate again than an primarily equestrian property.

Lastly I'd want my accommodation better than my horses and I hate bungalows so opt 2 is a no no for me.

kit279

Visit site
Literally in the last 5 minutes, we got our job locations confirmed - I'm in Oxford, OH is in Bletchley near MK. I think we're going to probably go with option 1 - he loved the house, nothing needs doing on it, we could stay there for 7 years and not outgrow it even if we had a family plus I loved the horse stuff and it is super convenient for use both in terms of location at the moment. I just want to be able to crack on with the horses while I can, rather than having to wait another 2 years while I sort out stables and school etc. If something else comes up then so be it but I think that's the one for us.

Molasses

Visit site
central in a commute to the areas you mention
land always comes before facilities in my book
and is their a point to the parents cottage considering you're already moving from your home, could easily happen again in the next 10 years.

good luck:D

ZoeF

Visit site
I reckon sell and wait otherwise you might end up rushing in to a not-quite-perfect home and missing a bargain thats yet to come your way! Also it then gives you a chance to properly get to know the area and decide where you would prefer to live (and ride :) )

millitiger

Visit site
I'd go for option 1 if you can afford it.

The whole point in having horses is to enjoy them so if there is no work to be done to the place you can just get on and ride!

Also if the commute is longer, you don't want to be doing DIY.

PorkChop

Visit site
Literally in the last 5 minutes, we got our job locations confirmed - I'm in Oxford, OH is in Bletchley near MK. I think we're going to probably go with option 1 - he loved the house, nothing needs doing on it, we could stay there for 7 years and not outgrow it even if we had a family plus I loved the horse stuff and it is super convenient for use both in terms of location at the moment. I just want to be able to crack on with the horses while I can, rather than having to wait another 2 years while I sort out stables and school etc. If something else comes up then so be it but I think that's the one for us.

Congratulations :)

House number 1 sounds fantastic!

Suziq77

Visit site
I'd go with option 1 as well. Getting planning permission can be such a faff and the other two don't really have enough land.

I'm currently trying to find a 3 bed house with 3 stables and 5 - 7 acres in West Kent / East Sussex and nothing is quite right so I sympathise :(

Sprig

Visit site
Option 1 if you are sure it is good enough, if not then sell and wait. Not much on the market now and will perk up considerably come April-ish (nobody wants to have pics taken of their fields when they are coming out of the winter we have just had). Good houses with land fly off the market so you will be in the best position to probably not get a bargain but not to miss out on the best house.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I'd sell and wait. Get to know the areas where you would be able to commute easily and compete from. When horses are involved in the house buying spec, there's so much more to consider than just buying a property for yourselves.

JGC

Visit site

Congratulations - I was going to say option 1 anyway. High pressure jobs and work to do at home = high blood pressure! :)

BeckyD

Visit site
Nothing useful to add (sorry!) just wanted to say that I think I know the top (no. 1) option and have been hanging my nose over it for a while!! (we'd need a lottery win sadly) so that would be my first choice! Sounds like a long commute though and you don't want that when you've still got horses to do at end of shift.

ETS: Just read to the end of the post - fantastic re locations!! Definitely go for option 1 then as commute not so bad. If it's where I think it is I shall be green with envy and hopefully will see you competing out and about.

Last edited:

TableDancer

Visit site
Congratulations on so many fronts! Option one sounds perfect - the point I was going to make about most of the others is that you have to be very careful re PP, lots of councils are anti-horse for some reason and would be awful to buy something and not be able to do what you want to it. But no worries with this choice, so crack on and get planning the wedding instead of the home improvements :)

LCobby

Visit site
Option 1 or 2, more land the better.
We keep 4 on 7 acres paddocks and have had 'spare' summer grazing made for hay by a contractor, which has been super saving.

Also, do not underestimate the time and cost of putting in stables and a school.

Mortgage rates so reasonable at the moment.

MK are so convenient for Addington, Bury Farm, Keysoe, Patchetts, and for M! to go further afield for competitions.
Also now you have jobs confirmed, at least one of you would have minimal commute.

digitalangel

Visit site
Hi! Ive just recently purchased a property in between Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, and moved in just a few weeks ago, so welcome to the area!

I can say this area is very horsey and the people seem really nice, and youre in a great place for competition venues too :)

Care to PM me property number 1? i would love to know which it is, having looked at a few properties in the area myself before i bought mine :)

Fiona

Visit site
I was going to say property one (for the same reasons as tabledancer), but I see you have beaten me to it....

I think the 'ready to move into' option sounds far better for such a busy couple :)

Fiona

kit279

Visit site
Thanks all for the opinions and advice. Having waited so long to hear where we were going to work, it is all suddenly happening and there's lots to think about. Hopefully, everything will fall into place and I'll finally be able to have the horses with me. If and when I move, no doubt there will be a little update post as well, fingers crossed it involves the house we want to move to!