An eve out with South Notts Hunt-embarassing?!?!?!?

pagancluf

Visit site
New to this horse riding thingy and my horse (a donkey in the menage) and I though it about time to go and do the hunt thing. Cloughie only ever been out to one sponsered ride b4 in his life and played up a bit BUT... after 1/2 an hour loading him, got to Linby and unloaded, tied him up and he broke the string attachment and decided to gallop around the field, with calls of "shutt the gate, loose horse" everywhere - me with a purple face thinking "oh god I knew it was a bad idea". Put the saddle on and ran along side and jumped on (wouldn't stand still) then spent a pleasurable 2 hours Jogging, head flinging, kicking out
confused.gif
with the other 40+ riders and their well behaved horses.
All I can say is that the other riders were a pleasure to meet and that made the night, really nice people, but my boy, well what can I do to calm him down?
When he is around other horses that he doesn't know he becomes a stallion? Can I ride on a double dose of ACP? What do you suggest?
I wanted to take him to some shows but if this is the reaction I don't know what to do?!?!?

teapot

Visit site
Oo sounds eventful - was that only his second outing in his life? Or second outing doing something along lines of hunting/sponsored rides?

If it's only his second outing in total, you'll find the more you take him out and gets used to being around other horses, the better he'll be. Take him to as many shows/events as possible even if you're not competing. Just walk him around the show ground.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
To be honest i would take him out more, so he gets used to these things. Take him to small local shows and keep him calm. Don't compete him, just walk him round. Have you anyone you can hack out with??

pagancluf

Visit site
Yes it was his second outing ever, once to a sponsered ride with delayed time starts and then he settled when no other horses around, but Thursday we all went on mass and this just blew his brains!? started of as a bay/black horse and came home as a agrey (with all the white sweat!) The hunt leaders were really supportive on Thursday night, but I felt so deflated and just wondered if anyone else had this prob in the past?
So I just need to keep biting the bullet and taking him? Need to invest in a hip flask and lots of brandy then!!

pagancluf

Visit site
The nearest show is a small one at Doverbeck - so will see when next on and hack him there with friend and just walk him around. Then try to get him home - may need to invest in large red ribbons for the rear area tho!

frannieuk

Visit site
Do loads of little shows, not necessarily to compete but just to see the atmosphere. I took my young'un to her 4th outing today and had deafening neighing at all and sundry, getting on was like trying to vault onto a shopping trolley with a wonky wheel and had spinning, half rears and lots of "bounding" before she managed to settle down a bit with lots and lots of trotting in circles. Managed to complete the CR jumping, giving her her 1st ever rosie and then mooched about the showground before taking her home. I shall do this until she realises that going out is just another day and nothing to get excited about - it worked with my other horse and I think they pretty soon figure out its nothing special
smile.gif

Evadiva1514

Visit site
I would just keep taking him out, it usually takes a few times to settle them but once they get the measure of things they usually calm down... Might be a good idea to take him to Doverbeck to see how he reacts in a show environment... Nice little show is Doverbeck i remember going when i was younger!! Good luck and have a nice time!!

pagancluf

Visit site
Thanks everyone - I thought I was being totally incapable the other day, but just need to bite the bullet and show him all is o.k. Will keep red ribbon in handy place!