An idiots' guide to rugs

LHIS

Visit site
With my new boy arriving in 2 or so weeks, and my gelding having ruined his current collection (bar a MW turnout I rarely put on him because he's naturally warm, and a bucas buzz off fly sheet with the rain panels) - I need some new rugs.
I've done some research and I am officially confused. I want to buy things that last, I've had cheap and they have all been binned within a few months of purchase. I have settled on buying some Horseware rugs, but am stumped at which to get.
Am I right in thinking that Mio is their cheap range, Amigo is their middling range, Rhino and Rambo are the upper range?
I need 5'9s for my gelding and 6'0s for my new gelding. The 5'9 gelding is a hooligan with little respect for his belongings, but does show signs of maturing. 6'0 is more sensible (I think) and is a chunky boy with a big chest and is just generally wide.
Can anyone recommend me any rugs that might suit?

I think I will need: fly rugs (one for each - the 5'9 gelding gets too hot in his bucas rug if it's not raining so he goes out naked on a sunny day doused in fly spray); 0g turnouts for each of them; and maybe a 200g full turnout for the 6'0 chunk; and finally a stable rug for the 6'0 chunk.
I would prefer rugs that have individual leg straps rather than a fillet string as we will be on the side of the moors and it will be windy.

I would rather spend a bit of money now and have them for years, than buy cheap and have to rebuy come the winter. Help!

Last edited:

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
I used to be a Horseware fan, but recently their rugs are just not lasting and it's across the range too. It's not the horse as he's never been an issue with them. I will only buy them now if they are in the sale and are in the realms of others in terms of prices. And yes, Mio is their 'budget range', which used to be Amigo. Rhino was just a tougher version of the Rambo's.

Some people like PE rugs, who are very, very similar to the old Horseware range but I've not tried them yet.

I personally rate the liner system rugs as you have essentially one rug for all seasons, and I think several manufacturers now offer options to put on leg straps instead of fillet strings.

meleeka

Visit site
I have an Amigo XL rug for my cob. It's lovely and light and fits well. I have no other experience of Horsewear rugs as all my others are Weatherbeeta which are years old and still waterproof.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I'd have a look at Premier Equine for fly rugs. I rate them way higher than my Rambo fly sheets.
The superlite ones are brilliant :)

supsup

Visit site
My gelding has had his Amigo rain sheet for 8 years, and it's still going strong. I have friends who have downgraded to Mio rugs and have been as happy with them as with the Amigo. The main difference seems to be the horizontal seam at about mid-belly height. I'm not sure if that might impact waterproofness/let rain in. I've never washed my rug, and I think that is part of the reason why it is still waterproof. When I clipped him fully one year, I bought a liner instead of another rug. The liner is easy to wash in a normal washing machine, which means the waterproof outer doesn't need to be washed/reproofed.
Downside is that Mios and Amigos only come with fillet strings. For my pony mare, who had horribly sloppy poos and would completely mess up the fillet string, I sewed on two additional rings in front of the hind legs myself and removed the fillet string and replaced with (separately bought, ebay) leg straps.

IMO, whether rugs will last or not is very much down to the horse. Some are rough on them, others are not. I'd always go with the cheapest option that is waterproof, and I think both the Mio or Amigo would be worth a try on that score. At least that way if the rug gets trashed after a few months, you won't have spent loads of money. No rug, no matter the quality, will stand up to tears caused by teeth, or rips due to legs caught in straps etc.

ETA: I don't own a fly sheet, we rarely get a lot of them at home. But when I went travelling with my horse into horse fly country and borrowed on from a friend, I learned why she prefers rugs made of stiff mesh. The softer fabrics have a tendency to slip and then pull/constrict because they don't stay in place. The stiffer mesh holds shape better. Can't remember which brands were best though.

Last edited:

Peter7917

Visit site
I used to use Amigo but think they have gone downhill

All my rugs now are Masta. Fair priced. Make sure you look at 1200d upwards

wingedhorse

Visit site
Personally I would look for second hand amigo 1200D or Rambo or Rhino. Once have established are good fit for horses and work, I would look to get a second new or nearly of each rug.

I rate the Rambo sweetitch fly rugs (not the new cut)
The Amigo 1200 Dernier no fill rugs
The Rambo or Rhino turnout rugs with liners clipped in underneath.
Or the Premier Equine Trios with liners.

wingedhorse

Visit site
I'd have a look at Premier Equine for fly rugs. I rate them way higher than my Rambo fly sheets.
The superlite ones are brilliant :)

Funny I've gone the other way and swapped my PE sweetitch rugs for the Rambo sweet itch rugs ( but I only like the older cut models- new are too tight).

TGM

Visit site
The Mio turnout rugs are only 600 denier, which means they are more likely to tear or rip than the stronger 1200 denier rugs, such as the Amigo Bravo.

If you want leg-straps then have a look at the Maxima Equestrian range as they do have detachable leg-straps, plus they have got a lot of adjustability in the front fastenings, which is useful if you have a horse who is narrower or chunkier than average. All their turnouts are 1200 denier too.

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
All horseware rugs have a filler string no leg straps unfortunately. I got a lovely falpro last year and have been really pleased with it, but again no leg straps. I am also a fan of liners as you can wash them regularly. I have the fall system 100g with various liners. Quite a few people on my yard have the Rambo sweetitch hoodies, which seem to fit well, but can get a bit warm. Friend has a mark Todd fly rug which is quite nice

Fiona

Visit site
My ponies have been wearing Ruggles rugs for the past 2 years, out 24/7 and I highly recommend these rugs. They have leg straps that can be turned into a fillet string if needed. Have never leaked or torn and are 1200 denier.

The horses have PE rugs, and I love these, but you'd have to get a saddler put leg straps on.

Fiona

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Funny I've gone the other way and swapped my PE sweetitch rugs for the Rambo sweet itch rugs ( but I only like the older cut models- new are too tight).

Ah I'm not sure about the sweetitch rugs. I have a Rambo protector and prefer a PE superlite as it covers more horse and is so light and airy.

9tails

Visit site
Another brand to look at is Swish. Their rugs are well made, true to size, have leg straps and seem to be hardwearing. They also come in a range of different weights and my 100g rug is probably the most used.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I'm and Big Horse Shop convert. Absolutely amazing rugs for horses with a big chest and shoulder.
Though mine are 6'9 and 7' but I had to go down a size with the bhs rugs.

As a cheaper option I've just brought a Swish rain sheet and 100g outdoor and they are both good on the elephant

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I like PE, weatherbeeta and amigo. I've heard excellent things about rhino/rambo too, but they have always been out of my budget. I had a MW amigo for Rosie that was still going strong 6 years down the line, although we did have to get a new ring for the fillet string attached. I don't really rate the Mios, Henry's rainsheet is one and it ripped on the tail flap within a few weeks, I'll probably replace it this winter with something else. PE rugs are fab in my experience, but know some people had problems with them leaking... But in terms of durability I love them, you can see where H has had a go at trashing his, but it's not ripped at all! For fly rugs, I'm really impressed with the weatherbeeta ripstop one I got last summer for H. It's a stiff mesh, doesn't slip, seems to be holding up well and is nice and cool. I also had an excellent Shires rainsheet, went on and on, and I'd definitely buy another! I've found all of those makes fit H's enormous shoulders nicely, but shires/weatherbeeta/PE are roomier than the horseware ones.

Louby

Visit site
Ive turned a full cirlce with rugs lol. Years ago I bought cheap but soon realised it was false economy as my thug gelding and his friend were ripping them for fun. One rug lasted a week! So I bit the bullet and replaced them with Rambo turnouts, broke my heart... and the bank but boy they lasted, even horse wedgies ha ha. Fast forward to losing my dear boy and these rugs not fitting my new horse, so I sold them all and replaced them with Shires, Swish and Weatherbeeta. I really do love my Shires and Swish rugs, they fit very similar, true to size and come up well after the yearly wash and reproof. If you have a thug, Id recommend nothing less than a 1200d but if not the Shires Tempest range are fab! Stood up to all this rain we have had recently no problem at all.

MagicMelon

Visit site
For me, I tried all types of Horseware and havent liked any of them (all leaked including their most expensive one) and also found they only fitted slimmer built horses best. I also hated Masta although havent tried them again recently but I had 3 or 4 of their turnouts and they ended up shredded really quick. I much prefer Weatherbeeta - not their cheapest landa ones but anything above that Ive found lasts ages and does the job, also fits chunky types.

LHIS

Visit site
Ok so I've decided on a Rhino turnout and ruggles rug for my 5'9 gelding. Does anyone know of the weatherbeeta ripsheild is the same as the ripstop some of you have mentioned?
I'm still confused about the 6'0 chunk, he really is a chunk and I want him to have enough room to move freely. I'm leaning towards big horse shop rug for him just because they probably stand the best chance of fitting. Shame you can't try before you buy!