An interesting moment!

J&S

Visit site
Our field and stables is adjacent to the village playing field and hall. The land all belonged to the same old chap but he gave that one field to the village to use in perpetuity. A year or so ago they erected, with funding, a tall, very bright set of lights so that helicopters from the Air ambulance could land in the field if necessary. I have always wondered how the ponies would react if a helicopter did land because it really is very close, just the other side of a bank and hedge. Well last night I found out! At about 9 pm there was a huge noise, my OH dashed out saying that he was sure a helicopter was going to land, it missed the first go but came back and and with all lights flashing blades whirring it landed. I dashed across to the ponies and just saw the tail end of them disappearing to the far end of the field, I was worried they might dash about in panic but, no, they just stood as far away as possible, ears pricked and watched the lights!

We were able to peak through the bushes and as far as we could see no poorly person was loaded so we imagine it was a practice run. If this was the case, not an emergency, I did think they might have issued a warning but in any case, I now know what reaction to expect, probably none at all next time! Would it have been the same for your horses?

Zibby

Visit site
We used to have military helicopters practice over the fields next to our horses. They were fine whilst they were hovering but when they used to suddenly dip below a hedge line and then re-appear things could get interesting!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
We have a local airfield under a mile away from my yard. I'm grateful I'm not on the fixed wing flight path, but I'm under the banking turn for helis if they are heading south or west. Mine don't bat an eyelid.
They did all look up when we had 2 low flying Apaches last year. Trump was over and they had popped down to refuel, made a right bloody racket! But no more than a look from the fuzzies.
In the past, when a new Fuzzy arrives I tend to find that they will peer, but also take reassurance from the others as they ignore.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I sometimes get very very low flyers over my fields. One the other day went right over, seemed to barely skim the tree tops though I imagine it was much higher really. Beast watched it go over. MrT and Little Dragon didn't even look up!

Don't think they'd be impressed by a helicopter though.

scruffyponies

Visit site
We get lots of military ones practising their hedge-peeking manoevres here, so the horses are pretty solid, even when they're silly low... something which has saved the life of any number of children over the years.

There was a horrible incident a few years ago which required the air ambulance IN the field with them. They just stood their ground and watched it.

I suppose it's just a flying car to them. It didn't bring buckets or carrots, so they ignored it.

eggs

Visit site
Many years ago I kept my pony at a DIY yard and a friend of the owner sometimes landed his helicopter in the ponies' field. Most of them would canter to the far end of the field but my pony and one other were not the least bothered and would just keep on grazing even when it was hovering right above them.

Roxylola

Visit site
I used to ride a very hot horse, close to a big football teams training ground. We would occasionally have helicopters overhead as a result, not quite landing in the next field, but maybe 2 fields away.
I was having a lesson one day and one flew over to the grounds and was landing, until we heard it stop I think both i and my instructor were just kind of holding our breath and waiting to see if we got an explosion. Apparently he was pretty solid with helicopters. This from a horse who would have a breakdown at the sight of a pony in a rug, a dog, a piece of paper, a pole on the floor...

When I lived at home especially with the lead up to the gulf war we used to get the big fast fighter planes going very low very loudly overhead. Usually spooked me more than the horses but that would be once a day at least.

Polos Mum

Visit site
When we lived in Lincolnshire we were on the route to a number of RAF bases, Our property (in the middle of nowhere) was a key location point for them I think. It's amazing what the horses got used to.
I was SJ one day when a huge Hercules flew over just above the yard house, all the horses glanced up but not one took a step.

We also had the air ambulance to our local riding school a few weeks ago. They landed in the field opposite and we were much more excited than the horses

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I guess horses as a species have never really had to particularly worry about predation from the air? A fast moving car or unusual things at ground level are probably more intrinsically scary to them. Hence the helicopter looming up out of the hedgerows being more scary than the one overhead or coming in to land.

The horse that had a commercial airplane come into land practically on her head on one hack and didn't bat an eye was the same horse that on another hack planted all her feet and whose heart was pounding at the sight of a train moving a quarter mile away!

Visit site
The racehorses don't tend to mind. We have had them out a few times over the years. We had the air ambulance out to one girl *cough*muppet*cough* and they landed in the field next to the road that was full of cows. The girl didn't need an air ambulance - but when you ring and say horse, road, sore back they automatically send one - she went via land ambulance - which she didn't need either ? When the chopper went to leave they were surrounded by cows licking the machine ... we had to get the farmer to come chase the cows away, it took 3 of them in the end as the cows would just circle round and go back to the chopper ???

FlyingCircus

Visit site
I used to be based at a yard where my hacking was next to the end of a runway for commercial aircraft. Always thought it was a good advertisement for my pony to be stood chilled whilst a massive plane takes off next to him

Cob Life

Visit site
We get quite a few low over us, as well as planes as we are under a landing path for an airport. They don’t care about those. They are PETRIFIED of drones though! I love a windy day as it means the neighbours aren’t flying them

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
What gets horses here are the sonic booms. They're not allowed, but they happen. We also have another base nearby with target practice and explosives. So some of them are quite bombproof. My horse will generally nonchalant about a sonic boom, oddly enough since he's a spooky little devil.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Back in the 70s we had the airships at the nearby airport, thr likes of the Goodyear, Orange etc ones. Now, those did spook the fuzzies then, not always but only usually when hacking out and the airships were still climbing to cruising height.
Also, I've had varying reactions with hot air balloons too.

southerncomfort

Visit site
We rarely see military aircraft. We saw a few Chinooks when Saddleworth Moor was ablaze.

Very occasionally we see a jet. On one particular day this summer we had 2 (what I assume were) Vulcans fly over. I saw them coming (we're on a hill) and ran out to make sure the ponies were OK.

Oh my God the noise!! I thought my eardrums were going to burst and I swear my ribs were rattling.

Ponies briefly raised their heads to have a look and then carried on eating!

Lammy

Visit site
I had the air ambulance land for me the other week (I’m ok!). When my mum asked the crew whether I was going with them in the air ambulance or in the normal ambulance that had also turned up they told her they weren’t taking anybody in the helicopters at the minute due to covid. Had I needed to go to the trauma hospital I would have gone by road which thankfully I didn’t have to!

It was quite bizarre but I think they sent the air ambulance as the road ambulance they dispatched was only a transport vehicle so they needed to get the doctor crew to me on the farm.

So it could well have been an emergency and not a training exercise. Thankfully we’re very close to an airport so our horses are quite used to noisy things overhead and so they didn’t mind the helicopter landing in the next field!

Pippity

Visit site
We had the air ambulance land right next to our arena a few years ago. The worst reaction was a horse who stared and boggled a bit, but all the others were fine.

tankgirl1

Visit site
Last summer when Whaley Bridge Dam nearly went my ponies were under the flight path of the chinooks. The shettie didn't care, but my mare would stand and watch them load up and fly over - she wasn't scared I don't think, just interested

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
We get chinooks over the fields regularly. They dip into the valley nearby. I was out riding a few years back when one hovered just above the pylon I was under! Pony didn't care one bit.

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
Young daughter came across an unconscious rider, administered first aid and called air ambulance. Her clown of a pony who drops his arse and spins at a leaf stood like a rock as the helicopter landed 50m from them. She was also calmly holding the unconscious riders horse as well. Nothing.

However when the local paper came to take photo of clever young girl and pony who acted quickly to assist fallen rider, you guessed it - pony snorted and spooked about journo camera bag on the ground!

Lois Lame

Visit site
Our field and stables is adjacent to the village playing field and hall. The land all belonged to the same old chap but he gave that one field to the village to use in perpetuity. A year or so ago they erected, with funding, a tall, very bright set of lights so that helicopters from the Air ambulance could land in the field if necessary. I have always wondered how the ponies would react if a helicopter did land because it really is very close, just the other side of a bank and hedge. Well last night I found out! At about 9 pm there was a huge noise, my OH dashed out saying that he was sure a helicopter was going to land, it missed the first go but came back and and with all lights flashing blades whirring it landed. I dashed across to the ponies and just saw the tail end of them disappearing to the far end of the field, I was worried they might dash about in panic but, no, they just stood as far away as possible, ears pricked and watched the lights!

We were able to peak through the bushes and as far as we could see no poorly person was loaded so we imagine it was a practice run. If this was the case, not an emergency, I did think they might have issued a warning but in any case, I now know what reaction to expect, probably none at all next time! Would it have been the same for your horses?

I understand your interest.

I live in an area where hot air balloons are frequently seen overhead, usually far-ish away, but once or twice a lot closer. I sometimes wave to the specks inside the basket, even though I know I look like a speck myself, but sometimes the balloons are close enough to see whoever is waving.

Anyhow, one day I was sauntering along on a dog walk at my local paddock when a hot air balloon descended into the one which the horses were occupying. They all watched it from a distance, but edged closer, very curious. The memory is vague now but I think I remember the horses getting quite close. I know I was intrigued.

On another occasion, a fighter plane (and I'm not kidding) came straight for my steed and I as we travelled at a walk back to the paddock. He wasn't perturbed. My eyes were somewhat on stalks at the impressiveness of this plane, and the way it seemed to use us as something to aim at for a moment, before changing course. Daniel (horse) would have said, "Yawn, how interesting," if he'd been able to talk.

They just don't seem to be worried about stuff in the sky. I suppose it's because there's never been anything big enough to be a threat since Equus became bigger than a fox.

Lois Lame

Visit site
Many years ago I kept my pony at a DIY yard and a friend of the owner sometimes landed his helicopter in the ponies' field. Most of them would canter to the far end of the field but my pony and one other were not the least bothered and would just keep on grazing even when it was hovering right above them.

This reminds of a horse I knew for a short time who didn't like the sight of a model areoplane being flown in her backyard. It kind of wrecks my theory of horses not being concerned by airborne objects. This mare would canter off when the model plane was anywhere near. (Or far.)

J&S

Visit site
A local lady had to sell a pony which went totally bananas when the hot air balloons were out and about! Our collie dog used to sit and howl when they were up any where near us.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
We lived near Stanford Park when we were farming and they had regular hot air balloon events. Stanford was down in the valley we were on top of the hill about 2 miles away as the crow flies. I remember one balloon struggling to make height over the hill directly above my brood mares paddock. They and their foals were racing about panicking because they were having to constantly use the burners to try and get the height. I was shouting at him to turn the burners off as they were scaring my horses and he was yelling back that he couldn't because he needed to go higher. A bit surreal.