Anaemia

SusieJane

Visit site
Does anyone know what causes anaemia in horses. My mare was a bit lack lustre before Xmas, and I assumed that perhaps she was just suffering from "menage malaise!"
But she's still lack lustre, and so had vet up today and had a blood test done, turns out she's got slight anaemia.

Aside from giving her a steak, what else can I give her, and what causes it.

thanks x

SpruceRI

Visit site
A pint of Guinness?

Your vet will need to find the cause of the anaemia but in the meantime should be able to give her some tablets/injections.

Don't know what causes it, a virus maybe?

Llwyncwn

Visit site
A horse on the yard had quite severe anaemia last year. Vet gave him injection, syringe of Avent and told owner to get some Red Cell and change his diet. No one knows how he became anaemic. Within a week you could see the difference and now he is as fat as a pig. Hope this helps.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Horse on my yard was diagnosed last year. Her diet was changed to a non cereal based diet and she has hay in front of her at all times. Only removed an hour before she competes. She also has a suppliment which I think it could be called MetaB.

She's blood tested regularly and has shown no signs after the initial diagnosis which was thought to be caused by ulcers.