Anakan choking, again!!!!!!

ticobay831

Visit site
Had to get the vet out to Anakan earlier.
frown.gif

I went to feed him in the field and instead of him gallpoing full tip to meet me, he ambled up the field with his head hung down.
frown.gif

Knew straight away something was up. Then he coughed and brought up loads of green slimey flem it was coming down his nose as well, it was awfull, just looked like he'd been sick violently.
His throat was bubbleing and he looked awfull, bless him.
The same thing happend last week in the stable as wel, while he was eating his food. He didnt cough this time he just kept tensing his neck and making strange whineing noises, called the vet then but cancelled cause he had obviously disloadged what ever was stuck.
But for it too happen again a week later, something not right.
Anyway vet said the outer edge of his teeth were quite sharp, this could cause him not to chew his food properly and probably caused him to choke. So i have now got to find a dentist to come and have a look.
Hes only nineteen months old so this is a bit strange. Abybody else had anything similar happen to them and can anyone recomend any good dentists?
Debs x

Tia

Visit site
Yep, one of my horses has had choke twice this week. He doesn't bolt his food and he is a very laid back guy - not a worrier or anything. Anyway first time I saw him choking, he was shaking his head, then made a cringing movement, then collapsed, then got up and stood for a moment. I went over and rubbed his oesophaegus firmly in a downward movement. He then started to lick his lips and off he wandered.

Yesterday I was feeding all the others and I heard him groan so I went over to his field and there he was again lying down then he got up again and once again appeared fine.

Mine is 4 years old so I can only assume that he has new teeth coming through. I have had him for 2 years and he's never done it before. I don't worry about choke nowadays although it used to freak me out when I was a kid.

GTs

Visit site
I would say there is a chance there is an injury from the choke last, which caused it to reoccur. We regularly used to starve horses after choke to let them heal properly - it can leave quite a lot of damage.

I would be tempted to have a 19 month old scoped before teeth checked - but I am not a vet!
smile.gif

choke.jpg

ticobay831

Visit site
yeah thats what i thought the vet would say, but he said there was nothing wrong with his throat neck it appeared to be normal maybe just a little sore. He was very thorough and is a very experianced vet. Its quite worrying. God Tia if mine had gone down god knows what i wouldve have done!!!!

GTs

Visit site
Did the vet scope your horse? I have heard numerous people speak so highly of their vets, but tbh beyond very basic care I would want someone board certified.

The photo is from a horse trachea of it choking - not only can you see the food, but look how sore it is.

GTs

Visit site
So I presume he did not scope him?? The problem with veterinary medicine they tend to do the cheapest likely thing first, which teeth likely are. If it happens again I would go off to the hospital.

ticobay831

Visit site
No, he didnt scope him. I will ring him tomorrow cause i am very concerned, Things like that happen for a reason.
Really appriciate your advice.
Cheers, Debs x

Allykat

Visit site
One of mine has choked a fouple of times. The first time was when he was 4, he came in from the field grabbed a mouthful of hay and went straight down for a roll. He choked, vet was called but he thankfully dislodged what ever it was before the vet arrived, so vet was cancelled. He was turned out in a small paddock overnight to just pick at short grass. He came in next day and did the same thing.

He now has soaked hay and a wet feed. All hay is in a small holed net and he comes in first before hanging net. His teeth are done every 5-6 months to be on the safe side. **touches wood** he's been ok

I think I might be inclined to ask for a scope if it happens again, but for now we are ok.