Anal Glads

Wasrandyra

Visit site
My 9 month old entire Patterdale dog has a few issues with his anal glands.

If you scratch his rump they have a tendancy to 'leak' the most putrid nasty smelly substance. Last night after some scratching he got in on the sofa and the OH (who ran off stripping into the kitchen gagging).

Do his glands need to be 'squeezed' by the vet. Why are they so active at such a young age and would having him castrated help the matter?

Cheers

Wigglypigs

Visit site
I think terriers are more prone to this - my female JRT has always had that happen. it is disgusting however i now empty her glads one week/fortnight and it solves the problem. I can tell when she is needing done as she starts to get very 'interested' in her bum - licking etc.
yuk

Stacie_and_Jed

Visit site
One of my staffs had problems with her anul glands and they needed squeezing once every 4-6 weeks.

You can get the vet to do it but i would advise asking them to show you how so you dont have vet bills all the time. Its easy enough to do your self at home. Although not the most pleasent of jobs IMHO!
crazy.gif

Mine, however, seems to have grown out of her problem and hasnt had them squeezed for nearly two years.
laugh.gif

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Never heard of a "case" where castrating have affected the functions of the anal glands, though if a dog often get infections in them they can be removed by an operation. It's quite easy to learn how to do it yourself and then you're always prepared on that it's coming, I much prefer that to having a "surprise" when I've had a dog with such "problems".

By the way, cats can "empty" theirs too, our oldest cat had a "period" (lasting some years), were she emptied them up to a few times a year, though it just stopped happening some years ago. We actually ended up asking our vet what it would cost to remove them, cats are so flexible in their bodies and holding her still to do something like that on a regular basis didn't feel like an option, but after we had asked about the cost, it only happened once or maybe twice before it stopped.

Good luck.
smile.gif

KarynK

Visit site
Anal glands are there for a reason, to help expell hard fecal matter full of waste material from a dogs natural diet, calcium from bones. They are a self loading grease gun!

The problem is amongst other things modern dry and tinned dog food does not produce hard fecal matter,and as a result the glands are made redundant and when not working they fill up and get infected.

I have no problem as I feed raw bones and meat and my dogs glands are worked daily. Vets don't make much money out of me in cleaning teeth or squeezing my dogs rear end!