Anatomical bridle recommendations please

Charlie31

Visit site
I’m thinking of trying an anatomical bridle. My horse doesn’t seem to get on with a cavesson noseband and schools better without a noseband at all. Obviously I’ll need to have some sort of noseband for competition though.

I have in the past tried flash and grackle nosebands on him and he wasn’t keen on those either (plus I hate flashes!). I like the logic behind the new designs of bridle and wonder if one of these might be more comfortable for him. There’s so much choice though that I don’t know where to start!

So far I’ve looked at the following:

Micklem
PS of Sweden (and I’m even confused by the choice within just their range!)
Collegiate comfitec
Schockemohle

Can anybody offer any thoughts or experiences on which of these (or any others) they have found helpful or not please?

By way of additional information the horse is quite sensitive in his mouth and much prefers an eggbutt to a loose ring. I think he likes things to remain still and quiet to increase his confidence into the contact. He definitely doesn’t like a flash strap though (and I never did it up tight when I tried one) so I think the bridle needs to be reassuring without being restrictive.

He’s also a real scratcher when the bridle comes off so I guess something about it is irritating his face and I do wonder if this is to do with the cavesson and the nerve areas it goes over.

Anyway, any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.

buddylove

Visit site
Big fan of my PS Sweden bridle with the Pioneer noseband. I find it helps keep the bit still without being restrictive and my horse really seems to like the elastic inserts (she is also rather sensitive in the mouth). They also do a lovely range of fancy browbands if you are that way inclined!! (I have a pink one for my pretty mare) 😊

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I'm having a similar problem in that my horse hates a noseband and constantly tries to rub his face when he has one on, he's even worse when he gets a bit sweaty. I'm trying a micklem at the moment but no better. Have tried a cavesson and a drop before, neither particularly tightly. I'd happily ride without one but he needs to get used to one to compete.

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
I had a Micklem and my horses liked it so would be happy to recommend - they seemed to find it comfortable. I'm having a Quantum bridle made for my younger cob at the moment. A couple of horses on the yard have them and I really like the thought behind them - both horses are going very well so hopefully my little cob will be happy in one too.

whizzer

Visit site
I bought a CK equine recently,it’s a lovely bridle & the leather is very nice. However despite the fact it was made to measure it was a bit of an odd fit,my saddler adjusted it & it’s much better now,it was only £110 then he charged me £24 to adjust bits so it still was a good price.

Hallo2012

Visit site
i have the PS of Sweden Pioneer on one of mine and it made the biggest difference!

you can hire before you buy from a couple of companies.

Fiona

Visit site
My Connie goes really well in his Micklem bridle, he is dreadful in an ordinary bridle, no matter what bit is used.

I think he likes the bit to remain really still, and the micklem achieves this.

Fiona

Gazen

Visit site
My horse liked his Micklem however the leather is of a poor quality. I have bought a GFS Prospserity bridle about 6 weeks ago and he loves it. My horse is virtually unrideable in a cavesson because of head shaking, star gazing and snatching. In this bridle he holds his head nicely and the head shaking and snatching has almost completely stopped.

ponios

Visit site
Anatares Y precision noseband is a hit with my horses. Based on same principle as micklems but much better quality leather and looks smarter. I also struggled with Micklem fit on a couple of mine so prefer to just use the y-precision noseband.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
My horse lives his very tatty baggy Micklem and I hate it! The leather is awful. I like the look of the GFS one Gazen -. Is there any difference in how your horse goes between the GFS and the Micklem? I'm vaguely tempted to trial a Fairfax but it involves a hefty call out /fitting fee and I'm not convinced that the chunkyness will suit as my boy has quite a delicate head! If he loved it then I'd buy it but I'm not convinced he would necessarily and it's a lot of money! I tried a ps of Sweden and didn't like it and couldn't get it to sit well on him. Which is why he remains in his scruffy old Micklem...

Esme

www.facebook.com
Schockemohle fan here! I switched to the Alpha from a standard ‘comfort’ bridle with cutback headpiece etc. And was surprised by the difference - he has never tried to rub his face/bridle off since and has been going better than ever in it. Lovely quality too!

Gazen

Visit site
Fluffypiglet, my horse is a Connie X and has a delicate 'pony' head. Before I bought the GFS I thought that it had a lot of leather and would be far too much for his head, but it actually looks pretty good and I don't use the throat lash. It is a faff to fit for the first couple of weeks until the leather softens and you get the knack of it.
My horse goes better in the GFS than in the Micklem. He is very fussy on tack and rug fitting, even more so with bits and bridle.

atropa

Visit site
I was very, very sceptical about them but the Micklem has completely transformed one of my mare's way of going. No more rubbing of her face when unbridled, and she takes a contact and works over her back so much more willingly.

NLPM

Visit site
My mare is fussy and sensitive. She's worn a Micklem for a few years, and I've just replaced it as I was concerned that it looked like it was about fifty years old! I wasn't sure how safe it was. To be fair, I bought it when they were quite new (all under £100 for example!), so the leather quality might have improved by now but do check it in person if you want one. My gelding's Collegiate was much older but in better condition than the Micklem. Based on that, I bought a Comfitec - it was fine, but I didn't like the look of it on her so sent it back. Now have a GFS Alpine which my mare seems to like more than the Micklem and I like more than the Comfitec. Win win!

Mule

Visit site
I find the multiple micklem bridle really useful. I didn't think I'd use the ring on the noseband much but I use it the whole time. It's great to be able to tie in it. It's also great for lunging if you don't like to clip the line to the bit.

Charlie31

Visit site
Thank you for all the comments, I have a few other options to look at as well now.

I think I’m going to try either a Micklem or a PS of Sweden first as a) both have been mentioned above to help hold the bit still and b) I’ve found a website that will do a trial of both of them.

Sizing could be difficult though as my horse has a wide head and currently wears a mix of cob and full size so there may be an element of what fits involved. Fingers crossed with all the options mentioned though we’ll manage to get something that fits and that he likes.

Denbob

Visit site
They released the hunter two weeks after I'd bought mine! Was gutted as my boy is quite draught-y and suits a hunter style but can't afford to get a new one yet. Although he might need a slightly larger browband, definitely justifies a whole new bridle, right?! 😂 🙈

Have to agree, I did have Denzel in a micklem for a few weeks and although I liked the look of it he didn't get on with the straps. He is totally fine with the cavesson even though his preference in a traditional bridle is no noseband at all.

sjp1

Visit site
I have this for my mare. Beautiful leather and she’s much happier in it
Mine has this too and he loves it - made a noticeable difference to his way of going
Just got my lad one of these - and really like it - my previous lad I had bought a Dy'on bridle for - about 11 years ago but sadly didn't fit my new lad. I really like the horsemanship saddlery bridle and if the horse bit fitter in my area would ever come back to me I would be really up for having a bit fitted as well - the horse bit fitters carry the bridles and several bits - I just couldn't wait for the fitter so took measurements bridle wise but got the browband wrong I think. Far too big. Really well thought out design and no flash strap attachment on the noseband - yay!!

Surbie

Visit site
They released the hunter two weeks after I'd bought mine! Was gutted as my boy is quite draught-y and suits a hunter style but can't afford to get a new one yet. Although he might need a slightly larger browband, definitely justifies a whole new bridle, right?! 😂 🙈

Have to agree, I did have Denzel in a micklem for a few weeks and although I liked the look of it he didn't get on with the straps. He is totally fine with the cavesson even though his preference in a traditional bridle is no noseband at all.

I am having a Scorpio headstall made - they will make them in XXFull if asked, which mine apparently needs with his mahoooosive head.

pansymouse

Visit site
I'm having a similar problem in that my horse hates a noseband and constantly tries to rub his face when he has one on, he's even worse when he gets a bit sweaty. I'm trying a micklem at the moment but no better. Have tried a cavesson and a drop before, neither particularly tightly. I'd happily ride without one but he needs to get used to one to compete.

Start him with a brow band on the bit end of the cheekpieces, it gives the look and feel of a noseband without any restriction (or function!)