And the cr@p parenting award goes to.....

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Oh dear. As I scrolled down, I expected to see a little hairline fracture not that! :oops:

You do realise @Ambers Echo you will never live this down? Ever. And it will be bought up as a topic of conversation at every family party / get-together from now until the end of time! ?

I do hope she makes a speedy recovery - she is one tough cookie. :)

Jeez. She's tough! I hope she recovers well.

But I can only confirm this by Baywonder ?

I was 13ish when I fell off jumping. My Mum was a nurse sister in her day and despite being not horsey, told the instructor I was absolutely fine & needed to get back on and made me finish my jumping lesson. Long story short, it took her a week to take me to hospital and I broke my collar bone in two places. I'm now 32 and we still like to bring it up at family occassions?

She did buy me a body protector before my next lesson, in her defense.

Upthecreek

Visit site
Wowsers! If Katie was a horse we’d say she is stoic! Be interesting to see what they say at the fracture clinic. Difficult to think how the two halves of bone could fuse naturally when they aren’t anywhere near each other ?

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
how's it going to fuse when its just ermm floating?!

My son's looked just like that and mended fine, despite him refusing to wear the sling thing.

He told the doctor he did it watching tv. Failed to mention he was standing on a table at the time (until he fell off it).

Has Katie considered a career as a jump jockey AE?

asmp

Visit site
You’re not the only naff parent - I sent my daughter to youth club with a broken arm. And I took my mum to A&E after she slipped over and they said it was just a bruise - found out 3months later she’d broken her pelvis ?

conniegirl

Visit site
Goodness knows but that is what the doc said. Fracture clinic in a few days so we will see what they say about it.
I suspect fracture clinic will manipulate it back into alignment or put her forward for surgery, I certainly wouldn’t just leave it as it is, it wont fuse back as it is no where near aligned

Art Nouveau

Visit site
I was on a first aid course recently and the instructor said, of course if someone has dislocated a joint you call an ambulance as it will be too difficult to travel them in a car without knocking the joint, and it will be very painful.

I sat there thinking, I dislocated my elbow falling off a pony when I was 8 and my parents took me in their car. I've definitely grown up thinking ambulances are for near-death scenarios only

Nicnac

Visit site
Don't beat yourself up. I legged sprog back up after a horse fall show jumping and she jumped another round with a broken shoulder and collarbone. Horse was fine.

When she fell off last year and broke her neck, consultant asked when she'd broken her back.....

Cr*p mums breed superhero stoic kids ;)

suebou

Visit site
I made mine ride a big sj lesson and ride an enormous and ill humoured mare twice. Said her shoulder hurt, made her drive herself to a&e and yup, broken collar bone. In my defence, I rode for two hours after hitting my foot on a gate post, drove home 40 miles in lorry, turned horses out before admitting the ankle was broken..... went to docs re snapped long bicep head and two ripped ligaments and he said, ‘ooh, you’ve had a broken collar bone and two broken ribs at some time’ No idea when/how.........

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
She's some kid! Makes their results even more epic!

Friend of mine went round the woods with her kids and her son "hurt his leg" jumping off a log. She nagged at him for dawdling all the way home. A couple of days later she took him to A&E as he kept complaining and turns out he'd broken his leg! He said he knew he'd broken it as he heard it crack! He's training to be a jockey now!

hollyandivy123

Visit site
Goodness knows but that is what the doc said. Fracture clinic in a few days so we will see what they say about it.
so i wont tell the story about when the horse and my hand met the wall of an indoor school whilst cantering and it tripped up onto its knees, ..........didn't fall off, carried on jumping, carried on to the pub, carried on clubbing.........went to A&E the next day, said it was a wee break but i cast would be fine.

got called up 3 days later and now sport a bit of metal

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Sometimes wonder how many horse people has seriously injured themselves and not noticed bet if the majority had full body scans and xrays the results would be very interesting

I fractured 2 vertebrae but thought I’d only broken a couple of ribs (I could feel them grating) and reckoned A&E would do nothing so I didn’t bother. Several weeks later and I still couldn’t move properly but by then (when I got checked out) it was a bit late ?

We’re a tough breed.

Cloball

Visit site
One rural ED I worked in had a blanket ban on discharging farmers and equestrians without consultant review and a full set of X-rays.

I broke my collar bone as a teen during a horse fall, played it down to my mum as I was trying my first pony later in the week. Mounting and riding whilst not being able to lift one arm and not making it obvious is somewhat challenging. Didn't find out if broken it until years later.

Secondary bone healing is quite fascinating, makes total sense from an evolutionary point of view though.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Thanks Cloball. I have googled secondary bone healing and now understand what the doc was on about! Never knew that happened. I assumed bones had to be touching to heal.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Sometimes wonder how many horse people has seriously injured themselves and not noticed bet if the majority had full body scans and xrays the results would be very interesting

Broken shoulder was being scanned to confirm repair and the operator asked me when I'd broken the rib. I thought it had hurt a bit after I'd been bucked off a year before ?

Coblover63

Visit site
I'm surprised that those ends of those bones still look so ragged if that occurred three yards ago. You may recall I broke and displaced 6 ribs some years ago? I was told they would take nine to ten months to heal. I had a follow up x-ray 6 months after the injury and whilst the broken bones still hadn't reached their respective places, they had definitely rounded off. They did eventually heal, but they're wonky and ugly.

Harry Houdini

Visit site
Me after failing to take Katie to A&E when she fell just before Norton Disney. Yes 3 ODE's ago.

Her xrays from today after she said it was still hurt a lot and 'felt a bit stabby'!!! :eek::eek:

180673543_3991261720953879_7425619114778231859_n.jpg
Oops!