And the cr@p parenting award goes to.....

millikins

Visit site
I would ask for a second opinion. My daughter had a similar break last year, possibly even more displaced, after pony tripped and catapulted her out the side. Local ortho reg wanted to leave it to heal "conservatively", I'm not sure how when bone ends were still in two different counties after 4 weeks. A friend at work asked to share x ray with colleague's husband, ortho consultant at London teaching hospital, his reply within 30 minutes was "send her up here, we'll operate tomorrow". This was right in the middle of lockdown, team that operated were shocked that this had been considered appropriate to leave. I was getting quotes for private hospitals as I was so concerned.

wispagold

Visit site
Impressive! Love the 'bit stabby' ?

If it makes you feel any better, when I fell off in the SJ at Somerford I was checked over by the on call doctor and they gave me the green light to go XC (I opted to withdraw). I was also checked over by 2 paramedics who were very reluctant to give me a lift back to our horsebox when I insisted I couldn't walk. Went to A&E the following day with my knee the size of small football. Turns out I had fractured my leg. Had to have it pinned.

Fingers crossed she heals quickly. Lovely pony!

SEL

Visit site
And there I was moaning at my mum over the weekend for the finger I broke 40 years ago (slammed in door at primary school) & no one set straight because we were busy moving house. It healed wonky and is arthritic now. She told me I'd done worse since and given I was limping from foot vs hoof she's right!

Last time I was in A&E the doctor said they always take horse riders seriously because they have a much higher pain threshold so if they've bothered to come in it must be serious. Hope that shoulder fixes quickly!

Annagain

Visit site
Last time I was in A&E the doctor said they always take horse riders seriously because they have a much higher pain threshold so if they've bothered to come in it must be serious. Hope that shoulder fixes quickly!

When I ended up in A&E 18 months ago with concussion, via an ambulance ride with head taped down, the lot, the paramedic scared me slightly as he seemed so worried, he even had the blue lights going. I thought I was fine, but he'd convinced me my head was so bashed up I didn't know how badly injured I was. The consultant I saw within minutes of arriving was a rider and a BE medic. She took one look at me, had a quick feel of my neck, took all the paraphernalia off me and told me I was fine. She was right!

quizzie

Visit site
I suspect it didn’t hurt more because the ends aren’t aligned, so didn’t grate together !!
....it probably will heal given time, but may well be wonky/large bump.....so it would it be worth considering an operation in case she should feel limited in what she can wear (off the shoulder dresses...when older!!)
At my mothers inquest (sudden accidental death)...the pathologist commented that “at some point in her life she had broken her neck”....we all then discussed which fall that might have been!...they seemed surprised that we didn’t know.....

Kat

Visit site
Sorry AE you will be reminded of this as a symbol of parental inadequacy for the rest of your days.

We still tease my Mum about her reaction to my broken collarbone and arm. It has been nearly 30 years!

After telling me off for jumping bareback she told me to "go and have a hot bath it will feel better in the morning".

At A&E the next day the consultant wanted to know why it was more than 24 hours since the injury. I had broken and displaced my collarbone and broken the top part of my arm by the joint in two places.

Parrotperson

Visit site
You’re not the only naff parent - I sent my daughter to youth club with a broken arm. And I took my mum to A&E after she slipped over and they said it was just a bruise - found out 3months later she’d broken her pelvis ?

know that feeling. Took my mum to A&E when she must've been about 85 after shed fallen. Just bruising they said. She'd broken her back. ??

Parrotperson

Visit site
Me after failing to take Katie to A&E when she fell just before Norton Disney. Yes 3 ODE's ago.

Her xrays from today after she said it was still hurt a lot and 'felt a bit stabby'!!! :eek::eek:

180673543_3991261720953879_7425619114778231859_n.jpg

that's some tough cookie. bless her. how did she do it in the first place?

scats

Visit site
Us equestrians really are a special breed aren’t we? I don’t know of many other sports where people are so stoic over injuries and breaks.

When I broke my ankle in 2008 (I went to get my neck looked at but a nurse noticed me limp and suggested we X-ray my ankle too), I was amused to find I had a previous break in my ankle that I knew nothing of.
It had well and truly healed, albeit not quite in the correct alignment.

conniegirl

Visit site
When i fell down the stairs i called an ambulance, when your foot is facing the wrong way its very clear you can’t drive yourself to hospital! Though i did put the dogs in the dining room and unlock the front door for the paramedics.
The paramedic was also a horse rider and she asked me my pain score, when i said about a 5 she turned to her colleague and said “shes a horse rider put that down as a 9 or 10”

Then when i did my knee i went in to fracture clinic, the consultant looked at my history (lots of falls from horses) he groaned and said “i hate treating horse riders! You lot are not normal” my husband promptly burst into laughter.
Consultant went on to regale me with tales of riders who had come in with pain scored of 2 or 3 and had completely shattered pelvis’ and riders who had got back on whilst still in casts and ended up coming back having rebroken the same bone etc. He was a lovely guy and it made being in fracture clinic quite funny! He sorted my knee and told me to take it easy with the brace on, then he said “actually given you are a horse rider i’m going to define taking it easy:
that means NO riding, no hauling hay around, no running, use your crutches at all times”

Tracking_up

Visit site
edit to add: I would want a second opinion on not plating it, mine wasn’t and took 16weeks before they discharged me and even then it wasn’t totally done on x-ray. If they plate it it will be stronger much faster though obviously there are risks of surgery...

I would agree with this, and also that fact that the collar bone provides 'front' stability for the shoulder joint, so if it gets shortened/changed by the repair process, it can affect the shoulder in later years - at least this is what the Ortho Consultant told me, to convince me to have mine plated... Mine was in a few bits as well... so they needed the plating process to hold the bits togetherxrayno2_170709_sized.jpg

Annagain

Visit site
he said “actually given you are a horse rider i’m going to define taking it easy:
that means NO riding, no hauling hay around, no running, use your crutches at all times”

I almost (2mm away from surgery) severed my bicep from the tendon that links it to the elbow 2 days after my final GCSE exam. Eb tried to dodge a pallet that had been dumped in long grass at the last second and his legs went from underneath him. I landed on the pallet, he landed on me and then stood on my arm as he got up. I wasn't supposed to ride for 3 months. My friend and I had so many plans for a summer of riding and I was gutted. I'd wait for mum and dad to go to work, walk up to the yard (2miles) get my friend to tack Eb up and get me on (he wasn't the easiest to mount at the best of times!) and go out hacking with my arm in a sling. I'd then walk 2 miles home again before mum and dad got home from work and make out I'd been sitting at home all day. In my defence, I did refrain from jumping and we only went where he'd have a controlled canter up a path, not open fields. Very restrained, I thought.

My friend's dad worked evenings so she'd get dropped off and picked up but I couldn't get a lift even though she only lived around the corner as I wasn't supposed to be there. I couldn't put my jodhpurs in the wash or mum would have realised. They probably walked out of my room on their own after a month of that! Then mum and dad finished school (both teachers) and I couldn't sneak out any more. I don't really think my arm started healing properly until that point.

Alibear

Visit site
Ouch another tough cookie there :) I spent years taking the mick out of my Mum for missing my sister's broken arm twice. Then I take my son to A&E a week after he hurt his arm when out with his Dad. Yep broken collar bone and I was getting a very stern look from the Dr as to why it's taken so long to get it checked. Thankfully my son said, yeah but it doesn't really hurt look I can do this and promptly waved both arms over his head merrily. Dr went a funny colour and I got saved from a lecture. 6 hours later son was swinging upside down on monkey bars saying its OK Mum I've got my sling on, which was also dangling upside down and useless.
Thankfully it seems broken bones heal rather well despite any parental shortcomings :D

I'm also an outlier as I've had varying accidents with all sorts of colourful injuries and swellings, but so far Xrays all clear. Brain, Tendons and ligaments are a different story :D But again all healed well in the end.

Velcrobum

Visit site
Had a crunching fall when seriously bucked off a horse in Argentina. Lumbar spine, pelvis and cervical spine x-rayed when I finally got to a hospital in the boonies. The bit that really hurt was between my shoulder blades. I knew I had done something bad so went to GP when home. I thought I had "done some ribs" not x-rayed as it is not policy. ( I was a radiographer so knew all about policies and reasons behind them). Fast forward 8 years when I had to have a chest x-ray - 5 old rib fractures close to the spine to which I said "I knew something was wrong". Fast forward a few months when I had to have a whole spine MRI as I have already had surgery to my C spine (which held up to being bucked off) and I have fairly severe lumbar spine disease. Surprise surprise add two crushed Thoracic vertebrae to the original injury.

I have a very wonky little finger on my left hand having dislocated it when my horse slammed in a stop at an old fashioned coffin ( he was tanking with me at the time ) just popped it back in place and continued. I strapped the finger to the index finger for a few weeks to let it heal and did not bother with A&E. Got the riot act read to me a few months later when I popped it again and had to go to A&E as I could not pop it back. By that time it was too late for physio

When I dislocated the adjoining index finger I popped it back but did go to minor injuries, x-ray, hand clinic, lots of Physio it is a tiny bit wonky but it bends and straightens like it should.

Tarragon

Visit site
Well I dislocated my own daughter's elbow :oops:
I was pulling her up a slide by her arms and then letting her slide back down again on her tummy - lots of giggling and a bit of fun.
Then after a few goes, she sat at the bottom, holding her arm and crying, so I did the mummy thing of "kissing it better" - but apparently that didn't work"! So after a while and still not better I took her to the doctors, five minutes walk away, and apparently she had a dislocated elbow. He gave her a special "hand-shake" which popped it back into place and all was well!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
When i fell down the stairs i called an ambulance, when your foot is facing the wrong way its very clear you can’t drive yourself to hospital! Though i did put the dogs in the dining room and unlock the front door for the paramedics.
The paramedic was also a horse rider and she asked me my pain score, when i said about a 5 she turned to her colleague and said “shes a horse rider put that down as a 9 or 10”

Then when i did my knee i went in to fracture clinic, the consultant looked at my history (lots of falls from horses) he groaned and said “i hate treating horse riders! You lot are not normal” my husband promptly burst into laughter.
Consultant went on to regale me with tales of riders who had come in with pain scored of 2 or 3 and had completely shattered pelvis’ and riders who had got back on whilst still in casts and ended up coming back having rebroken the same bone etc. He was a lovely guy and it made being in fracture clinic quite funny! He sorted my knee and told me to take it easy with the brace on, then he said “actually given you are a horse rider i’m going to define taking it easy:

Ah, the legendary horse person pain score. I think they need a different scale for us :)

My wrist was snapped, both bones, hand hanging off, and the nurse who triaged said she was surprised I wasn't making more of a fuss about it. I said "would it help?" (recently seen Bridge of Spies) and laughed.

On the morning after plating my arm with 7 screws and replacing the dislocation of the elbow, the nurse couldn't believe I scored the pain as a half out of ten and refused painkillers. The surgeon went to shake my left hand as he introduced himself. I'll never forget the look on his face when I shook hands with the plated one instead. He spent several minutes quizzing me about my pain threshold, it was fun :)

Armchair Eventer

Visit site
My sympathies. My dad was a GP but he really didn't like dealing with family ailments. Due to hyperflexibility aka being double jointed I have had issues with my shoulders dislocating following the simplest of everyday normal activities, hanging up a haynet, changing a lightbulb, making the bed, picking up something off the office printer and putting it into the general office tray to my right (which is when I ended up in an ambulance to A&E). Anyway after the initial haynet incident my Dad brushed this under the carpet as he did the time when I fell off out hunting and got jumped on and now have a convex rib, happily one of the floating ones. We are made of stern stuff

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I almost (2mm away from surgery) severed my bicep from the tendon that links it to the elbow 2 days after my final GCSE exam. Eb tried to dodge a pallet that had been dumped in long grass at the last second and his legs went from underneath him. I landed on the pallet, he landed on me and then stood on my arm as he got up. I wasn't supposed to ride for 3 months. My friend and I had so many plans for a summer of riding and I was gutted. I'd wait for mum and dad to go to work, walk up to the yard (2miles) get my friend to tack Eb up and get me on (he wasn't the easiest to mount at the best of times!) and go out hacking with my arm in a sling. I'd then walk 2 miles home again before mum and dad got home from work and make out I'd been sitting at home all day. In my defence, I did refrain from jumping and we only went where he'd have a controlled canter up a path, not open fields. Very restrained, I thought.

My friend's dad worked evenings so she'd get dropped off and picked up but I couldn't get a lift even though she only lived around the corner as I wasn't supposed to be there. I couldn't put my jodhpurs in the wash or mum would have realised. They probably walked out of my room on their own after a month of that! Then mum and dad finished school (both teachers) and I couldn't sneak out any more. I don't really think my arm started healing properly until that point.
Reminds me of my younger days. I had a pony that wasn't long backed and I was trying to get him to canter in the school but he would only canter flat out. He took a corner too fast, legs went from under him and he landed on my foot. I had a moped at the time so I rode it home but was very lame so asked my boyfriend to take me to a&e. he grumpily did but wouldn't get me a chair and push me so I had to hop. I had a broken bone in the top of my foot and a sprained ankle so was plastered up and signed off work for 6weeks till the plaster came off.
With having a moped , I could get around on it quite easily so could still get to the stables. I took the stirrup off and put the plastered leg (in a carrier bag)in the stirrup leather and carried on riding. I did get some odd looks when the plaster got cut off as it was full of horse muck and bedding. By the time my 6 weeks off was up pony was going quite well. ?

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
I broke my collar bone whilst working with hunters/eventers and my boss's mum used to make me Bone Knit tea ( which is Comfrey I think ) , which is supposed to help heal broken bones . My left shoulder is now 2" shorter than my right ( bra strap constantly slides off ! ) , I have less rotation in my shoulder and sport an interesting lump - but it healed super quick and I was back riding in 4 weeks !

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I fell when skiing, as usual when I fall I landed on my left, but this time I separated my left shoulder.

I tucked both ski poles under my right arm and skiied down to the first aid station where my arm was put in a sling and for the rest of the week I skiied like that.

little_critter

Visit site
Ah, the legendary horse person pain score. I think they need a different scale for us :)

My wrist was snapped, both bones, hand hanging off, and the nurse who triaged said she was surprised I wasn't making more of a fuss about it. I said "would it help?" (recently seen Bridge of Spies) and laughed.

On the morning after plating my arm with 7 screws and replacing the dislocation of the elbow, the nurse couldn't believe I scored the pain as a half out of ten and refused painkillers. The surgeon went to shake my left hand as he introduced himself. I'll never forget the look on his face when I shook hands with the plated one instead. He spent several minutes quizzing me about my pain threshold, it was fun :)
Maybe it should be like eventing under the old rules the dressage score, or rather the riders pain score, should be multiplied by a coefficient. Seems rather apt.

Parrotperson

Visit site
Hacking out my horse! Not even her own. Idiot bike came whizzing past at high speed making lots of noise and he spun round to try and head for home. The only time he's ever done anything even slightly spooky that so very bad luck.

oh dear. Poor her. I hate motorcyclists that do this. Grrrrrrrr

quiteniceforacob

Visit site
Mine looked just like that... I threw up from pain! So impressed by her!

Definitely get an opinion on plating. I got back on on Saturday 3 weeks and 3 days after the op. Honestly it’s been miraculous (touches wood)

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Missed load of replies. Sorry!

Well I did get a bit of a 'so how long was it aftet the inury that you accessed medical care' lecture at fracture clinic, but hey ho. I guess I deserved that! Doc said it will heal but always have bump but on the other hand, plating it would va large scar. It will (allegedly) be compltely normal functionally. A large callus has formed all round the floating ends and knitted the bones together. Very clever. No idea that happened. And the bone will continue to be remodelled over time becasuse she is a child. An adult would have needed surgery. Doc left it up to Katie to choose leave it vs plate it and she chose bump over scar.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
i have no experience with collar bones whatsoever but hopefully even if it starts like a big bump it will settle with time. just thinking about Millie's broken splint bone that started out as a giant lump but continued to change for several years and is now barely noticeable. fingers crossed for continued speedy healing :)

Cragrat

Visit site
I did the exact same thing to mine aged 16 - an eventual x-ray showed the ends of the bone a good distance apart. I was wrapped up in figure-8 bandages - basically looping around both shoulders behind my back - for 3 weeks. Blooming hot and itchy, and probably useless. 30+ years later I still have a bony lump, but no other ill effects at all.