And the dimmest person of the year award goes to...

catembi

Visit site
...it has got to be me!

I had entered the dressage at Moulton College for this morning. V excited as I haven’t been there before and have always wanted to. I was super organised, packed the lorry last night, threaded my needles, learned my test, up at 6.30 this morning, plaited, left on schedule, got there...gate was locked. Wondered if there was another entrance so drove around trying to find one... Eventually messaged someone else and...

...there are TWO Moulton Colleges! 1. The one less than half an hour away, which is the one I have been driving past longingly for ages thinking how convenient it will be to compete there if I ever get a horse that stays problem-free for long enough and 2. Another one miles away!

So we withdrew as I wouldn’t have got there in time if I’d been in a helicopter, let alone a 9 year old Renault Master van. Drove home feeling v let down and frustrated and unplaited and put everything away again 😥

You literally couldn’t make it up!

Anyone else want to admit to having done something even more stupid to cheer me up...?

Attachments

• 4AD0FE3F-2D91-4F5B-802E-00DBF36E2566.jpeg
    4AD0FE3F-2D91-4F5B-802E-00DBF36E2566.jpeg
    388.5 KB · Views: 57
  • D47C015F-A70A-43E3-BF8B-FB0C183D1538.jpeg
    D47C015F-A70A-43E3-BF8B-FB0C183D1538.jpeg
    457.6 KB · Views: 55

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I learned a test once, and was excited as it was in a nice cosy indoor arena and the weather had been awful.

Warmed up indoors, lovely, went to go into the arena and was somewhat surprised to see a long arena laid out, whereas the one I learned was a short arena test!

Ooops, wrong test. To be fair, I had learned the right numbered test, but an old version. I think.

Happily someone thought my predicament was exceedingly funny and read the test for me!

cauda equina

Visit site
Recently I was going to a clinic at Witcham EC - never been there before but got directions from Google
Set off in lots of time, got to Witcham but couldn't find the EC
Asked directions from lots of people, none of whom had heard of the EC
Eventually it dawned that I had taken a wrong turn and was going round and round in circles in Witchford, not Witcham at all

catembi

Visit site
Oh gosh, I’ve done that as well! Learned Novice 25, entered at working trot, halt, salute...they rang the bell. I was ??????? I can’t *possibly* have gone wrong *already*. Turns out that I’d learned the ‘old’ Novice 25 which had recently been replaced. Got a copy from the judge and o/h had to call.

Well done for doing a long arena test called blind! All those extra letters!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Recently I was going to a clinic at Witcham EC - never been there before but got directions from Google
Eventually it dawned that I had taken a wrong turn and was going round and round in circles in Witchford, not Witcham at all

They are pretty close at least!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
at least your horse had a practice show outing, bet he thought competing was fun, getting tarted up, and little ride out and then back out in the field.... :):)

Baywonder

Visit site
I turned up to a local show once after getting lost - and I was ridiculously late. Within 10 minutes I had booked in, tacked up, warmed up (I know, I know, not good) and entered the ring not knowing the course at all. My friend shouted the fence numbers to me as I went round. If my memory serves me correctly, think we got 5th place! :oops:

hihosilver

Visit site
when I was 17 and had a horse on a posh livery yard my Dad took me to a show, it was a new horse so first show for him and me. I forgot the tack!!!! I was so mortified as I knew the yard would notice! they did and I said a little white lie and that is was a in hand show! I have heard of people not loading the horse as well!

nikkimariet

Visit site
It's the Pitsford one you want! Really lovely venue.

I've left my show boots at home before - I'm not a regular size so there's no way I could borrow any! Thankfully had left enough time to dive back home and start the journey all over again!

Britestar

Visit site
I turned up at a clinic once 24hrs early. So embarrassed I went home again with the horse. Despite it being over 60 miles away, and they offered to stable the horse overnight.

dixie

Visit site
I turned up to a local show once after getting lost - and I was ridiculously late. Within 10 minutes I had booked in, tacked up, warmed up (I know, I know, not good) and entered the ring not knowing the course at all. My friend shouted the fence numbers to me as I went round. If my memory serves me correctly, think we got 5th place! :oops:

I did that too in BS. Didn’t even warm up. Went straight in and won the class. I had no idea the course was causing problems and I was the only clear !! I’m sure if I had watched others I’d have made a mess of it.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I once drove an 11ft 6 lorry under an 11ft petrol station canopy, does that count as stupid enough to make you feel better?

I tried to drive my wagon out of the gateway with the steps down once. Just as silly but at least a bit more private.

The steps were managed enough that there was no putting them up until a mechanic had removed them (and it took them hours as it was a mess) so no beach ride for us that month!

Julia0803

Visit site
I think I may have posted this before but....

Pre sat nav days, one of our first outings in the trailer taking my son to a new venue for the first time. I hated towing and it made going out really stressful. I’d written down the instructions on a piece of paper and 11 year old son was reading them out.

On the m25, take the m40. In my panic I didn’t think that there would be two exits for the m40...

Getting increasingly panicked as the written down instructions weren’t matching anything I could see, obviously 11 year old not particularly helpful, rising panic... drove past Hillingdon tube station and it dawned on me this is not rural Buckinghamshire 🤦‍♀️

Then more panic thinking how the bloody hell am I going to turn around on residential streets, and had to find a roundabout. Made my way back to m40, now going in the right direction.

Got to the venue at 9.27 for a 930 test. I’ve thrown tack on (thankfully well behaved angelic pony who was wondering what all the fuss and panic was about!) whilst son got dressed into show gear.

I have no idea how I did it but I must have somehow attached bridle to trailer as well as pony in my panic. I’ve legged up small child and turned to shut up car and lock up.

‘Mummmm!!’ Slightly panicky voice...

Look round and bridle has snapped and is dangling on the floor, son still holding onto reins, pony delighted and is munching long grass not going anywhere.

I cried. Genuinely cried!!

Thankfully there were some very very kind people parked opposite who had seen all the goings on. They asked if we’d like to borrow their bridle.

Quickly put on large full bridle, inc their bit, on cob and put everything on top hole.

He trotted off to the arena. That was the sum of their warm up- thankfully it was only an intro test!

They only went and won it!!! 😂💕 First time they’d ever won.

I can laugh about it now but honestly at that moment the bridle snapped!

You will all be pleased to hear I gave up towing, I was a nervous wreck and it completely ruined going out. We now have a little lorry and are a lot less stressed!

honetpot

Visit site

I am not surprised, I live not far away and there used to be three venues that were pretty close together.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Boxed up and travelled, very early on a saturday morning, 90mins to a clinic-it was the wrong week. they were very kind but I was mortified-and couldn't make it the actual week due to work.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Don’t worry. I was half way to Gatcombe today when I realised I hadn’t collected the trailer, horse & jockey 🙄🤷‍♀️🙈
Sorry, ihw, but that's epic!

‘My jockey hasn’t got much to say for themselves today, are they feeling well?’

‘My car is making towing this trailer sooo easy today.’

Did you manage to go back and collect them in time?