Andy Thomas tTest riding clinic

Roxylola

Visit site
I was fortunate enough to get a space on a clinic with Andy Thomas locally today and thought I'd share some thoughts on it and a bit of info on how it works.
So we started in trot, down the centre line a couple of times then a circle in walk, 2 in trot, 2 in canter on the left rein then on the right.
Andy watched me ride pretty much leaving me to it. I'd already brought up that I know I'm crooked and I'd had wonky hips which are now straight but habitually compensate for them.
He then had me lie on a treatment table and tested my hip flexibility and strength. Slightly more flexibility in my right, but not too bad either way. Strength though ???? he positioned my left leg and asked me to resist his hand pressing it down. No problem - turn over and attempted the same on the right. No way could I resist even the slightest pressure, I was amazed at the difference - literally could not believe it.
So he does some manipulation, all very light movement and touch, nothing significant at all and yet suddenly I have full movement and flexibility from my left and my right is now able to resist pressure.
If you saw a video youd call it fake, it was that dramatic! Pop back on board and walk trot canter both reins again and suddenly I'm not fighting myself, I'm not getting in my own way, I dont have to think about and correct my own position, I can just stay over him and work him.
We then did a bit more mounted work with a resistance band on to further activate my glutes, and a bit with one on my hands to engage my core. Again walk trot and canter.
Then having done all that I played about with some lateral work, and generally just had some fun working in a fab arena and enjoying how easy it felt to be straight and how that then conveys itself to better work from the horse, more through, better steps from the hind legs etc.
I've got a programme to work on via an app now and I am super excited to keep at it.
Highly recommend to anyone, he and his wife are lovely lovely people, was a really productive session

Wheels

Visit site
That sounds fantastic Roxylola!

Amazing to see differences like that. Will you get another session with him do you think?

Roxylola

Visit site
That sounds fantastic Roxylola!

Amazing to see differences like that. Will you get another session with him do you think?
Probably in time yes. It's not like a once a month type thing - you can email or call them if you have any problems and I'm confident my app will help. So maybe in like 6 months or something. It's also difficult as often these high level things are on week days and/or private clinics on fancy yards. So I've got to get time off work.
I was lucky with this - I follow the venue (which is gorgeous) and I happened to be off work this week. Money well spent, so certainly yes I hope to at some point go again but I wont panic if its ages before I can

Surbie

Visit site
I've been to see him too - not for a ridden assessment but it still showed how diabolically onesided I was/am.

Well worth the money and I'm due another when my instructor can get him to her yard again.

daffy44

Visit site
I'm so pleased you had such a great session, the man is a genius! I have seen Andy a few times now, and he is just incredible, I do recommend him to so many people, just because I think he is so transformative to riders. As a bonus he and Nia are just the loveliest people as well as insanely talented. I am not a one sided rider, but he has worked miracles on my riding too, and now he wants to come and watch a lesson with my trainer to be able to help me further, and I am really looking forward to that.

Just a tiny word of warning though, he is so much more available in the UK at the moment due to COVID, but when International competition really gets going again he will be busier, and whilst still doing clinics here, it will be less frequent, so if anyone is dithering about seeing him, do it now!

Mahoganybay

Visit site
I'm so pleased you had such a great session, the man is a genius! I have seen Andy a few times now, and he is just incredible, I do recommend him to so many people, just because I think he is so transformative to riders. As a bonus he and Nia are just the loveliest people as well as insanely talented. I am not a one sided rider, but he has worked miracles on my riding too, and now he wants to come and watch a lesson with my trainer to be able to help me further, and I am really looking forward to that.

Just a tiny word of warning though, he is so much more available in the UK at the moment due to COVID, but when International competition really gets going again he will be busier, and whilst still doing clinics here, it will be less frequent, so if anyone is dithering about seeing him, do it now!

Just want to thank you as I attended the same clinic today as Roxylola which you recommended on a previous thread. And just wow.

I absolutely loved it and found it so beneficial. My horses way of going and my position, effectiveness and stability in the saddle was just amazing.

I had thought I had a weaker left side, and although my left hip flexors were stiff my right side was the issue, with me balancing on my right hand to compensate.

After treatment and once he got me engaging my core I could not believe the difference.

I will be religiously doing the exercises and using the wrist bands on every schooling session.

GinaGeo

Visit site
I was lucky enough to have a session with him back when I was at Uni.

My lasting memory of it was practically kicking him in the face with my spur whilst I was on the treatment table - I was mortified!

I too lacked a lot of strength one side. And it did make a difference. I kept it up for awhile but I must admit to letting it slip.

Thank you for the reminder - I will take the exercises back up!

Mahoganybay

Visit site
I was fortunate enough to get a space on a clinic with Andy Thomas locally today and thought I'd share some thoughts on it and a bit of info on how it works.
So we started in trot, down the centre line a couple of times then a circle in walk, 2 in trot, 2 in canter on the left rein then on the right.
Andy watched me ride pretty much leaving me to it. I'd already brought up that I know I'm crooked and I'd had wonky hips which are now straight but habitually compensate for them.
He then had me lie on a treatment table and tested my hip flexibility and strength. Slightly more flexibility in my right, but not too bad either way. Strength though ???? he positioned my left leg and asked me to resist his hand pressing it down. No problem - turn over and attempted the same on the right. No way could I resist even the slightest pressure, I was amazed at the difference - literally could not believe it.
So he does some manipulation, all very light movement and touch, nothing significant at all and yet suddenly I have full movement and flexibility from my left and my right is now able to resist pressure.
If you saw a video youd call it fake, it was that dramatic! Pop back on board and walk trot canter both reins again and suddenly I'm not fighting myself, I'm not getting in my own way, I dont have to think about and correct my own position, I can just stay over him and work him.
We then did a bit more mounted work with a resistance band on to further activate my glutes, and a bit with one on my hands to engage my core. Again walk trot and canter.
Then having done all that I played about with some lateral work, and generally just had some fun working in a fab arena and enjoying how easy it felt to be straight and how that then conveys itself to better work from the horse, more through, better steps from the hind legs etc.
I've got a programme to work on via an app now and I am super excited to keep at it.
Highly recommend to anyone, he and his wife are lovely lovely people, was a really productive session

I was there today too (Whitehill Stud?) I came away grinning and have never felt my mare go so well.

What a lovely couple too.

Are you being sent some videos? I can’t wait to receive mine.

daffy44

Visit site
Just want to thank you as I attended the same clinic today as Roxylola which you recommended on a previous thread. And just wow.

I absolutely loved it and found it so beneficial. My horses way of going and my position, effectiveness and stability in the saddle was just amazing.

I had thought I had a weaker left side, and although my left hip flexors were stiff my right side was the issue, with me balancing on my right hand to compensate.

After treatment and once he got me engaging my core I could not believe the difference.

I will be religiously doing the exercises and using the wrist bands on every schooling session.

I'm absolutely delighted you had such a good experience, just so pleased for you!!!

Roxylola

Visit site
Ooh, did I see you? I was on at 1.30, saw a lovely black dressage type leaving, and a nice orange pony working in when I left

Roxylola

Visit site
They did take videos, but never mentioned sending. My owner took a few videos and pics though. I've got my app all downloaded

daffy44

Visit site
Whenever I've had a session with Andy, he has taken videos, shown them to me immediately, and then sent them over to me within 24hrs, so I'm sure thats his standard practise.

Mahoganybay

Visit site
Whenever I've had a session with Andy, he has taken videos, shown them to me immediately, and then sent them over to me within 24hrs, so I'm sure thats his standard practise.

ahh, possibly not then. Would be fab to receive some videos, hope it looked as good as it felt ?

Roxylola

Visit site
Thank you, love him so much. He has a brain like a sponge - we keep playing at piaffe at the moment and hes so nearly there with it. He's going to be awesome ? we've only been together since October and hes come so far already

Dyllymoo

Visit site
I'm the wonkiest person and have no core strength etc. I'm tempted to do one of these but J isn't really school ready so I think I'm going to wait until we can trot/ canter in the school.

Surbie

Visit site
I'm the wonkiest person and have no core strength etc. I'm tempted to do one of these but J isn't really school ready so I think I'm going to wait until we can trot/ canter in the school.

You don't have to do a ridden session. I didn't. It still made a huge difference to my balance and riding. I'd love to do a ridden one as horse is also wonky and we must make each other worse.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site

Looks great! When you mentioned your rightways inclination before I had a look at one of the videos you have posted previously, and yes you were doing that slight hint of a tip to the right exactly like I do. I think we have quite similar conformation (though I'm fatter than you), so seeing this video gives me hope! You honestly look fantastic. Horse looks great too, but from your earlier vids I already thought he was pretty special...recently he's muscled up beautifully though.

Great to hear other HHOers had a good time too.

quizzie

Visit site
...do you think he could help an ageing ex-eventer with a dodgy back and several old fractures which contribute to decreased mobility?...who is now trying to do dressage!