Anither rug recommendation thread!! Sorry!!!!

bumblelion

Visit site
Good evening everyone :)
Looking at getting my tb a couple of lw turnouts, usually go for horseware but finding that they're just getting shredded far too easily by my other horse during their play sessions! Also find this with Weatherbeeta too! Are there any other brands that do a 1200 denier plus that is a good fit on tb types? Always fancied fal but have heard they're not as good as they used to be. Also I think bucas are more suitable for the chunkier equine?! I may be wrong though. Iv always stuck with horseware for him as they're such a great fit, his hw Rambo supreme has been the best rug ever, lasting 5 years with only a few repairs. I know they do a lw version but it's so expensive, same as the hw just about and don't really want to spend that much just in case!! Although I may be better off in the long run, if they are as good as the hw's!!
I'm after a no fill one and one between no fill up to 100g!

Anyway, enough waffling from me, any suggestions would be great!! Thank you :D

Last edited:

coss

Visit site
i've got a 1200denier ruggles rug - 100g but doubt my horse is as rough with it as yours so not sure exactly how tough it is ;)

maggie123

Visit site
Ive got a ruggles rug too, great rug but def for broader chunky horses imo! What about derby house? They have a sale on atm so you might find a bargain. Ive got one and its a nice rug just too short in the body and tight across the shoulders and neck for my ID x so might suit a tb.

coss

Visit site
weatherbeeta rubs my arab but ruggles is fine - i suspect the combo would fit more snugly than the rug with detachable neckrug.

bumblelion

Visit site
Iv tried the ruggles rugs, bit broad for my tb although not broad enough for my idx, get his rugs from the big horse shop! iv had the 1200 amigos, in both lw and mw and both shredded quite easily! Best i'v had up until now though! Was hoping someone may suggest a super indestructible rug (if only one existed!!). Trouble is I can't separate them neither or worse injuries to themselves occur! such a nightmare!

DosyMare

Visit site
I've got a few bucas rugs they're good.

I kitted my Warmblood mare out in Bucus - they were really good and not to expensive.

My bigger gelding had Fal and they are the best rugs ive ever bought but i couldnt mind any local to buy - does Fal Pro still make rugs??

I find that Rambo/Horseware / Fal Pro / Bucas all have the same shape/style.

With your new Horseware rug was it a Amigo - i find them a cheaper range rug compared to the Rambo range.

I think Masta do a ripstop rug that you could look into.

GCC

Visit site
Amigo seem to fit anything! I have my lot usually in them, Rambo, Weatherbeeta or Masta (although i find the Masta ones tend to be heavy and take FOREVER to dry!) Shires aren't too bad, tend to be on the small side though never seem long enough either! Premier Equine seem a good fit for most sorts as well

Never touch Robinsons own, i've found them utterly useless!

Venevidivici

Visit site
Premier Equine do 1800 denier ripstop outer but you'd have to check website for fill weights,as can't remember off top of my head. My heavyweight has certainly proved v tough for my boy,who seems to trash most stuff:-/

bumblelion

Visit site
I kitted my Warmblood mare out in Bucus - they were really good and not to expensive.

My bigger gelding had Fal and they are the best rugs ive ever bought but i couldnt mind any local to buy - does Fal Pro still make rugs??

I find that Rambo/Horseware / Fal Pro / Bucas all have the same shape/style.

With your new Horseware rug was it a Amigo - i find them a cheaper range rug compared to the Rambo range.

I think Masta do a ripstop rug that you could look into.

Yes fal still make rugs but from what I understand is that they're now made abroad with loveson and the quality isn't like the old ones.

Yes iv had all three horseware brands, I definitely prefer Rambos as opposed to amigos but they are much more in price and I begrudge paying over the odds for a rug that will get shredded in a day! As I said before the supreme hw has been brilliant but the lw is £240 ish!

Mastas slip really bad on him, seem to suit chunkier horses IMO.

So difficult! May just get the supreme and cringe every time I out him out! Lol! Or go for the amigo 1200, which I know will rip within a week but can easily be replaced! Decisions, decisions!

flying solo

Visit site
Need to be careful with cap I got a chieftain and it was rubbish, fell to bits and my boy was in the field himself, he isn't a trasher either! The company was taken over or something and the quality isn't as good as the older rugs.

OP robinsons used to do a bib thing that you attach to the head collar which stops them biting rugs would something like that not help you?

bumblelion

Visit site
OP robinsons used to do a bib thing that you attach to the head collar which stops them biting rugs would something like that not help you?

I know what you mean but probably not as it's my id who trashes the tbs rugs! They play a bit rough at times, the tbs the cheeky one, goes for the id's legs, then the id turns around, grabs the tbs rug and doesn't let go until its ripped front to back!! Separating them would be problem solved but they then do whatever it takes to get back into each other, injuring themselves! Thanks anyway for the idea :)

bumblelion

Visit site
Premier Equine do 1800 denier ripstop outer but you'd have to check website for fill weights,as can't remember off top of my head. My heavyweight has certainly proved v tough for my boy,who seems to trash most stuff:-/

Will look into them now, know they've got a pretty good rep! Thank you!

gillianclaude

Visit site
PE rugs are amazing :)

I bought one of their rugs 5 years ago (which is still alive and keeping my TB cosy!), and it survived being put on my rug trashing 2yo! He had a Weatherbeeta full neck on one night, and I went up in the morning to find the rug off but still buckled up, with the neck ripped clean off half way across the field lol! Still no idea how he done it! Anyway, a definate thumb up from me for PE. :)

bumblelion

Visit site
Was just about to pay for the PE buster trio complete system (wasn't much more to buy whole set than just the outer with 100g liner and neck cover) and keeps crashing when get to the sage pay bit! Will phone and order tomorrow/Monday!

Many thanks to everyone who posted! :D

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
The best rug that I ever bought (in the sale too :) ) was a Bucas Smartex Rain.

SSCN3503.jpg

It is super tough, much thicker than the outer of her Rambo Duo and it has never leaked or slipped. It's been worn in some horrendous weather - hail, torrential rain, gales plus naughty youngsters playing ;) - and it still looks only a few months old even though it's several years old (I think I've had it six years now). You can put it on a sweaty horse too as it's properly breathable.

I did have a LW Premier Equine rug and it leaked from the start even in a light shower, so I would go for the Bucas Smartex Rain everytime. :)

coss

Visit site
The best rug that I ever bought (in the sale too :) ) was a Bucas Smartex Rain.

SSCN3503.jpg

It is super tough, much thicker than the outer of her Rambo Duo and it has never leaked or slipped. It's been worn in some horrendous weather - hail, torrential rain, gales plus naughty youngsters playing ;) - and it still looks only a few months old even though it's several years old (I think I've had it six years now). You can put it on a sweaty horse too as it's properly breathable.

I did have a LW Premier Equine rug and it leaked from the start even in a light shower, so I would go for the Bucas Smartex Rain everytime. :)

I find this interesting as i have this rug (for sale :rolleyes: ) and i found it did leak in heavy downpours, however they were maybe heavy downpours with rain inbetween over more than 24 hours :eek: Mine has a fleece lining which was great for extra warmth but a nightmare to get clean and it is still has some hair on it although is more fleece than hair now ;)

ETA: mine also didn't have a tail flap so maybe an older model :eek:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I find this interesting as i have this rug (for sale :rolleyes: ) and i found it did leak in heavy downpours, however they were maybe heavy downpours with rain inbetween over more than 24 hours :eek: Mine has a fleece lining which was great for extra warmth but a nightmare to get clean and it is still has some hair on it although is more fleece than hair now ;)

ETA: mine also didn't have a tail flap so maybe an older model :eek:

It just goes to show that not every rug of the same type has the same waterproofness. So many people are thrilled with their PE rugs but mine was hopeless. I really should have sent it back and got a replacement.

I now have three Smartex Rains :eek: the other two are 'gold' (yucky colour :( but it all gets covered in mud anyway) and have tail flaps. They are newer than the Navy one but not the new 'click and go' design below. I've not had any problems with them leaking either.

1252684400_ClicknGo%202_w450_h400.jpg

coss

Visit site
that looks an interesting system. My smartex is blue, no tail flap, black fleece lining and has the surcingle type fastening at the front with velcro over the top (one of the features i' really liked. Had it for my arab mare at the time and it was a little oversized on her (which was good as it doesn't have tail flap)
I have never found a rain rug that holds up to our downpours though, if there's a heavy downpour forecast i resort to putting two rainsheets on - that's the only thing that works for me :rolleyes:

bumblelion

Visit site
Like the idea of the bucas too being able to out on wet horse! Does anyone know the outer denier? Can't seem to find it anywhere! Also do you think they'd be bit too roomy on a tb?

Gorgeous George

Visit site
As you like Horseware, why not buy the Rambo Supreme no fill (best thing I ever bought!), it comes with the attachments for their liners, so then you can make it whatever fill you want. Apart from a light rainsheet for summer, it is the only turnout rug I have now :)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
My chestnut mare is an Anglo-arab (50% TB) and it fits her really nicely. Bucas have two neck sizes - standard and big neck - I have the standard ones which also suit my young arabs. The Navy Bucas also fits my TB mare. See my signature below for a photo of my horses (L to R anglo-arab, TB, Arab, Arab).

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
As you like Horseware, why not buy the Rambo Supreme no fill (best thing I ever bought!), it comes with the attachments for their liners, so then you can make it whatever fill you want. Apart from a light rainsheet for summer, it is the only turnout rug I have now :)

I like horseware rugs too. :D

I have found that I need 6ft3 for horseware rugs and 6ft for bucas (for the chestnut mare).

bumblelion

Visit site
Gorgeous george- Yes I was looking at those as I have the supreme hw and it's the best rug I ever bought! I didn't know though that they had the liner system! Worth the money possibly then! You may have swung me!! :D