Ankle pain/discomfort when riding with shorter stirrups?

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I’ve recently started jumping, after a pretty lengthy break and have been experiencing pain/discomfort in one ankle when I put my stirrups up. It’s initially quite a sharp pain but then just dulls to discomfort – or I’m just busy concentrating on staying on :D

On the flat, I ride longer (not ridiculously so) but there is a 2-3 hole difference between my flat length and my jumping length, but I do go up a hole for hacking, normally.

Is this ankle pain ‘normal’ after such a break of riding with shorter stirrups – it’s been a good number of years since jumping! If so, is it just a case of the more I do it, the easier it becomes, or are there specific exercises I can do to help? Or is it something I should be wary of and get seen by a professional before it becomes an issue? I'm actually really enjoying my jumping (words I thought I'd never say ...!) so would hate to have to stop because of it.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
As with any exercise that you are not familiar with, it can cause discomfort.

I get fit for that just as I would anything else, start with a few minutes and work up from there. Even a few hundred yards at trot on a hack with shorter stirrups can help. Even a walk out will help stretch the area, but strength will only come if you stand and stay standing at trot or canter.

Ella19

Visit site
You're probably ramming your heels down. If you have mirrors have a look and if so work on lifting your heel. Are you on a whizzy jumper? I find I do this when I brace against a whizzy horse. The other thing I've found is I'm now suffering from plantar fasciitis and do wonder if my ankles were the first sign. I have insoles in my boots now and that has helped me not to roll in. The pain I was getting was down the outside of the ankle and I think that was from rolling in and heels too far down.