annoyed by the overuse of 'KWPN'

jaffa2311

Visit site
I wonder if anyone agrees with me.

I have no affiliation or education about the KWPN. As far as I know, they are REGISTERED dutch warmbloods. I do have horses of another breed that requires parentage and breed standards, in order to be registered.

Somebody I know refers to their horse as a KWPN. I saw the ad she bought it from, it was from an Irish dealer and is certainly not papered as anything.

A supposed WB cross was also always referred to as KWPN, when the breeding was totally unknown.

So the person is using the term KWPN to describe horses of unknown breeding.

It's an irritant that bothers to me to a similar degree as any horse that is cob type of unknown breeding being called a Welsh D or Welsh x.

aaaaaargh

rachk89

Visit site
I have seen some pretty dodgy 'KWPNs' recently. One looked like a mule, definitely not a warmblood. Was priced cheaply too, possibly was a mule and they clicked the wrong option.

I think people do it because of the price tags that come with KWPN. People like to get more money so thats a supposed good way to do it I guess.

Regandal

Visit site
Hopefully anyone specifically looking for a KWPN will enquire re breeding and registration etc., and thereby expose their ignorance. Hopefully?

Caol Ila

Visit site
Why be annoyed by what someone calls their horse? It's not like the person in question is selling it, you are wanting to buy it, and they are trying to pass it off as being in a certain registry when it's not. Not your circus, not your monkey.

Enfys

Visit site
No, it wouldn't bother me, because I don't care. As someone who has nothing to do with them, and couldn't ride one side of them if I did, or reach high enough to put tack on either, they look the same as any other warmblood as far as I am concerned.

Surely anyone specifically wanting a KWPN would request breeding in the first instance?
No registration papers - no interest, don't burst her bubble :)

Practically every Tb crossbred seems to be labelled Warmblood or Sport horse of some sort, does it really impress people?

A horse is a horse is a horse and is only as good as it is, regardless of parentage, the fastest, best bred racehorses produce slowpokes at times.

Last edited:

Luci07

Visit site
KWPN is like ISH...they can be many different breed lines in there. So, as an example, I had a ISH gelding (reg green stud book) out of French Buffet. FB was a full TB. He was also reg as KWPN and stood abroad for many years before coming to Ireland. Current horse is reg as a Czech WB. He is actually SF X TB but looking at the SF there is a lot of well known WB in there!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
You must be easily annoyed....Why does it bother you what breed someone calls their horse? Most of the WB registries are "open", made up of varying amounts of TB and WB crosses.

mastermax

Visit site
My horse is a TB x Dutch Warmblood. He is registered through sports horse of great Britain and is the size of a maxi cob, oh and he is tri coloured. Just me personally, I wouldn't give a flying fig what people claim their horse is and wouldnt be annoyed by it, I have too much other stuff in my life to care. I would only be annoyed if the horse wasn't cared for, was treated badly or inexperience was causing him to suffer.

spottybotty

Visit site
Our registered KWPN was, Holsteiner, Hanovarian, TB and Dutch warmblood , Voltaire on sires side (Hanovarian ) and Ladykiller(Irish TB) on the dams side. He was basically a registered Heniz 57 :)

Luci07

Visit site
Lol! I have an ISH, and I often look at him and think 'you're a ftickin tb! Where is the ID?' I'm hoping it's his brain. Saying that, he has sprouted alarmingly hairy pasterns.

If you have a "traditional" ISH, so ID X TB, broadly speaking they tend to take after the stallion. I had an ISH who had an ID sire and looked almost pure draught and conversely one with a TB sire who looked like a TB chaser. The only give away was the very thick mane and tail.

Copperpot

Visit site
I have an ISH with a green book. To me apart from the hairy pasterns, he looks like a tb. Although his Sire was, so that would explain it Luci07. He also has a very bushy forelock!

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Why does it matter to you?
I couldn't care if somebody called their cob a tb, its their horse, they pay a lot of money to enjoy their animal so let them get on with it. Just seems like a silly petty livery yard suituation to me.

If the horse was for sale and you had travelled to view it, that would be different.

Redders

Visit site
My warmblood is in fact a unicorn. I just get the farrier to trim her unicorn horn every 6 weeks because I don't want the liveries to gossip.

Shoei

Visit site
I have a Gelderlander who is registered as a KWPN as my understanding is gelderlanders no longer have their own stud book.

charlie76

Visit site
We bought a horse that had come through goresbridge sales, so you would assume ISH, he was in fact reg KWPN with totally dutch bloodlines, we bought him through an Irish dealer, maybe the same one? So yes, sometimes the Irish do breed and sell horses other than ISH!!