Another Abcess Question...

severnmiles

Visit site
I know this should be in the Veterinary forum but I thought more of you will see it here.

Ernie is standing in a bucket of warm, salty water for 15mins every two hours and going loose in the school twice a day for 30mins each. The infection has travelled up his leg a bit. And around his fetlock and about 5 inches above is puffy and warm...is it worth sticking an ice boot on to bring this down or leave it alone?

kick_On

Visit site
if mine and do, cold hose leg twice a day bandage at night to support leg. If you haven't found site of pus i would be very cautious about tubbing to much and then turning out in school.
I would go down Amymay route but i do realise you under vets ...
Do have a concrete yard you can place Ernie for daytime, with IMO would be better that putting in school??

xxcharlottexx

Visit site
Ive just been throught the whole abscess thing with my horse, and touch wood, have finally got rid of it

Has the vet recommeded you put his foot in warm salty water?
Do you really need to do it every 2hrs? It might make his foot weaker being in water for so long

When you turn him out does he have anything over his foot?
As putting him in the sand school could be getting more grit muck into the abscess?

My horse was supprisingly good, and went from being out 24/7 to being in 24/7 for 3 weeks, never really being in a stable before before i bought him 4months ago
I just kept a wet poultice on ihm, used animalintex then bandages over that then duck tape to keep it on. Would then let him graze inahnd befdore i changed his poultice twice a day.

Whilst you and your horse may not like it at the time, it may be better to keep him in all the time until it has cleared up, otherwise you run the risk of getting another abscess

Just reading Kick_On's reply.....have you found where the pus is coming from?
as if not you need to get the vet or farrier up asap to dig around... you will see major improvement once the abscess has burst.

severnmiles

Visit site
He's in and not turned out. School is wood chip not sand so no problem there and the abcess hasn't burst yet. I've spoken to the farrier he has told me to keep doing what I'm doing and if its not made an appearance by Friday he's coming to have a dig around...he doesn't want to dig around for no reason at the mo as Ernie has typical TB feet...not great!

How long did it take for yours to clear up?

severnmiles

Visit site
YAY! Its burst!! I never thought I'd be so glad to see black puss.....ewwww!
grin.gif

Ah well vet must have been on the right lines, it was only yesterday I started treatment and that he went lame...

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
YAY! Its burst!! I never thought I'd be so glad to see black puss.....ewwww

[/ QUOTE ]
Phew what a relief - for you and nag
wink.gif