Another advice post please

Tia

Visit site
I have another horse boarding here who is to be put on the market. Very sad and unfortunate circumstances for the owner means that I have to do it, make the advert and show the horse to potential purchasers.

Now it is a stunning horse and one day will be worth a half-decent sum of money......however at the moment my opinion is that I don't think he is worth a great deal; maybe a 3 grand at a push.

The owner has asked me to advertise him at 4,500. He is 2 years old and is about 16hh. Very nice looking horse - jet black with a touch of white; beautiful blaze, 4 white stockings and a splash across his shoulders. He is very quiet but was quite bargy when he arrived and you couldn't pick up his feet. He is now respectful and will walk quietly with me, he is now great with his feet and with the farrier. I was told that he had been backed last year and this is where the problem lies.......I bridled him today and put a saddle on his back to get photos of him. It is quite obvious that he hasn't been bitted, or at least not properly. When I put the saddle on him, he didn't bother but when I tightened the girth up, he appeared to not know what I was doing. I only did this for the photo-shoot, but I am not convinced that he has been backed. The owner was only told that he had.

So, this advert is coming under my business name and although in the advert it will be clear that the horse is being sold for a client, it could cause a lot of unnecessary timewasting for both me and potential purchasers who will be coming up expecting to see something other than what I feel he is.

Would you just grin and bear it? Would you put all the wording that I have been asked to use in the advert? I have offered my views on his price and am going to speak to the owner this evening to let her know my suspicions about the lack of training this horse has had.

Suggestions more than welcome.
smile.gif

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Arh thats tricking, I think you either have to sell him as you feel he should be sold or let her sell him how she feels right and let her take responsbilty.

I don't think i could miss sell a horse it will end badly, o.k so you have abit of guilt and maybe a bad name... but the horse will be sold to the prosprect owners thinking he is backed and things hes not. Of corse this will no doubt have a bad effect for the horse, when the owners relise hate to think what would happen of him.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Arh thats tricking, I think you either have to sell him as you feel he should be sold or let her sell him how she feels right and let her take responsbilty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree with FMN

Tia

Visit site
To be honest; I've thought about it a bit now and I am probably concerning myself over nothing as I don't think I will have many calls on him at that price.

Thanks for your replies.
smile.gif

Tia

Visit site
I would if it were my horse, but she really needs to sell the horse. The worst thing is that if she were to do something with him next year as a 3 year old, he should be worth around 8 grand. She has another cheapie for sale and I am hoping she manages to sell her and end up keeping this guy.

I feel awfully sorry for her though.
frown.gif

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I think I would point out to the owners the problems they are likely to have for misrepresentation, not just morally but legally. If someone attempts to get on it assuming it has been backed and is injured they risk being sued, and it won't do your reputation any good either.
A tactful explanation about how it reacted to the saddle should be enough to change their minds.
Other than that, putting believed backed might get you out of trouble..

JadeWisc

Visit site
I am assuming if the horse is 2 they are not expecting a safe, quiet ,well trained mount anyhow. Even if he were backed last year (which I find odd if he is only 2 now ) He would pretty much need to be restarted anyhow. I would just be honest about what you know, explain that it is not your horse and you are simply helping sell him, and let them be the judge when they come and see him.

Tia

Visit site
He's a DraftX - possibly the most popular type of horse in this area and they go for megabucks! Lots of hunting around here and so they are very sought after.

Tia

Visit site
Good plan HH. The thing is, legally I wonder whether, if anything were to go wrong, my farm could be sued rather than her.....particularly if I am showing him. Eek! I think I will ask her to show the horse and I'll just pass on her number if anyone calls about him.

harvgj19

Visit site
I think asking her to show her own horse is a better idea. But also, it might be worth "discussing" with her the wording of the advert. If you feel better telling her that it is because it is under your business name, I'm sure she would understand.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Perhaps you could put one of the common lines, such as:
'Well handled horse with mature attitude, will continue to be backed prior to sale'.
Slap an extra $1000 on and people will come quick after a bargain. Does it work like that out there?

Tia

Visit site
Yes that is common over here and it does sometimes work.....however in my honest opinion, the horse is already 2 grand over the correct price.