Another 'ask the experts' question, do I use studs on hard ground?

Mickeymoo

Visit site
As the title really, OH says I can't put studs in Mick if the ground is hard? I haven't used studs for 30 years, so what do you all do?

Ps. I do appreciate that a lot of you may answer that you don't run, which is a decision I may have to make.

OldGit

Visit site
Hun I use pointed stud if I run, although increasingly look at whether to run or not. If ground hard, less grip so studs more important in my opinion...... if you run!

yeeharider

Visit site
Use pointed studs all round. My old boy loved to rattle off the hard ground,but hated the mud. Horses for Courses, you have to decide wether to run or not:D:D

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
Use pointed studs all round. My old boy loved to rattle off the hard ground,but hated the mud. Horses for Courses, you have to decide wether to run or not:D:D

Mine is the same, loves the harder ground and hates the mud! :rolleyes: I use tiny pointed studs in front;

WS%20SS009a1162557997.jpg

And then a slightly bigger version behind. Only one per shoe on the outside.

Got some of these at Auchinleck when it was really firm- mega pointy!

WS%20SS011a1162558128.jpg

yeeharider

Visit site
Mine is the same, loves the harder ground and hates the mud! :rolleyes: I use tiny pointed studs in front;

Exactly would have done this myself but cant seem to post images:eek::eek:

NR99

Visit site

We use this combo too (Supastuds), told the front was not big enough to do anything but seems to do us just fine :)

jumptoit

Visit site
I use the bottom ones of those all round, though the ground round here doesn't sound as hard as it is further South atm.

FigJam

We use this combo too (Supastuds), told the front was not big enough to do anything but seems to do us just fine :)

They've got to do more than nothing?! :confused: It's such a balancing act- stud up enough to stop them slipping and scaring themselves by sliding into fences or hurting either of you by skidding on a corner, but not too big that the foot is unbalanced or there's too much strain on the legs. Like everything horsey... you never quite feel you're making the right decision?! ;)

FigJam

FJ - Exactly!! But if there is one thing I am learning fast it's sometimes you just have to follow your gut feeling, so far so good:)

Yup, I'm a big believer in gut feeling. :) And, as mentioned, all horses are different- some feel the ground more, some are more/less balanced etc. You are most likely to know your horse best, so although asking for other's advice/thoughts, always weigh up your gut feeling too! :)

millitiger

Visit site
always stud up on hard ground as, if anything, it is more slippy with less cut in the ground.

very small pointy studs all round.

posie_honey

Visit site
i use small pointy studs :)
but then again i'm not overly competative and my mare has legs that would make a vet shudder from years of hunting - so i tend to be over cautious and would not run ;)

KatB

Visit site
I wont jump on "Hard" ground, but on the firmest ground I will run on I use the same as pictured. If you're going to stafford, the ground will be fine, as they work really hard on it!! I am contemplating either going there, or going to Arena Uk for the weekend... decisions!! ;)

ironhorse

Visit site
I know it's slightly different but we used to use those pointy studs behind on show/working cobs (who aren't known for their grace and elegance LOL) and they were very good, even in slippy show rings. We were very cautious about what to use in front - a small square stud that looked a bit like a 'nut' from a nut and bolt set gave enough grip without risking the back pasterns when they were galloping.

FigJam

We were very cautious about what to use in front - a small square stud that looked a bit like a 'nut' from a nut and bolt set gave enough grip without risking the back pasterns when they were galloping.

Afraid I wouldn't be using square studs on hard ground- you need the sharp/pointy ones which will go into the ground easier. A square stud will sit on top of hard ground and so not provide as much/any grip plus unbalance the hoof.

Mickeymoo

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies. Am off to buy some small pointy studs and some bigger pointy studs as in the picture.

Kat, yes I am going to Stafford, glad to hear the ground is good there, I may get away with nothing then. :D

TableDancer

Visit site
Glad you all like those little pointy studs - I designed them :D :D To my mind they are perfect for really hard ground in front. Whoever said they are too small to do anything obviously hasn't tried them ;) I also support the choice of the Dressage Stud (no idea why they got called that!!) behind. Personally I would always use two in front to ensure even grip and landing, but it's personal choice (see explanation in SupaStuds Guide to Studding on website or in booklet for more detail). And I don't work for them any more so am not advertising - but if you order online they are normally despatched same day first class so you get them the next day - no good for this weekend admittedly...