Another bedding 'numpty' question

hobgoblin

Visit site
Hi guys I posted a few weeks ago about wood pellet bedding as shavings have just gotten so ridiculously expensive!
I've never used wood pellets but seriously considering them for next year so , a few more numpty questions:
1. Can you make banks?
2. How many pallets would I need for a winters bedding? ( oct-march/April 3 stinkers and one lovely clean and tidy horse 1/2 deep bed on rubber mats)?
3. Does it look comfy and nice? (don't know why I'm worried as horses at home so no one will ever see!)
4. Muck heap is it easy to get rid of?
5. How easy/ quick to muck out?
Thanks
Daughters left over birthday cake on offer :)

rossiroo

Visit site
Personally I dont do banks, I supose you can. I use a little more than shavings so bag for bag I guess that 1x 10kg bag every 5 days for pellets as opose to 1 bale of shavings every 7 days (for clean horses) one of mine if filthy so 1 bag every 4 days. Takes about 7x 10kg bags to set up, but no need to add any more for 3 weeks as they expand.(12x12 stable). No they don't look cosy and only look good untill the droppings get mangled in.They are quicker to de-grade than shavings and muck heap is smaller. They don't smell as much as shavings. Very easy to muck out, but you must have a solid floor, idealy rubber.The higher grade ones are worth the extra.Hope that helps.

sisco

Visit site
Hi

1. Yes you can have bankings with wood pellets (once you've laid the bed and added water to fluff them up) I have bankings with mine.

2. I use 1 or 2 bags of pellets per week for my very wet messy boy and only 1 bag per week each for my other two as they are a lot cleaner. I use ten 12.5kg bags to start with on top of rubber mats.

3. It looks fine not as good as a shavings bed, but a lot quicker to muck out and in my case a lot drier and a lot cheaper.

4. Easier to get rid of than shavings as you take very little bedding out each day.

5. Takes me about 10/15 mins during the week and 30 mins every other Saturday to have a really good clean out.

Last edited: