Another colic nightmare

frostyfingers

Visit site
My lovely little pony, who was my children's first (and only!) pony, beloved companion to the family and my horse for the last 12 years had another episode of colic yesterday evening - his third in three consecutive months. It was mild and he was put right with Buscopan and Bute, but in my heart I know that we have to call time now. He's 23, and in otherwise great health, but this is his 4th colic this year which the vet is convinced it is due to one or more pedunculated lipomas causing intermittent blockages. The likelihood is that the situation will only get worse and she feels that is only a matter of time before he colics overnight and I come down to find him either dead or beyond saving. None of us want that, so I now have the horrible task of finding another companion for my horse and then making arrangements for his last journey. My heart is very heavy even though I know it's the right thing to do, he's been a wonderful friend to us all and I shall miss him so much.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Oh dear, it is sad isn't it.

I had to find a replacement companion pony about this time last year, and it was only when I started looked that I realised just how perfect the one I had was. He had to be PTS due to cushings/laminitis on vets advice, but somewhere I was relieved that it was planned. He was grey and had some external tumours and I always dreaded that he would die from colic, from an internal tumour, like yours. So at least he was saved that sad end. He was on maximum bute and I fetched the new companion, a mare, so she brightened up his last couple of days as he flirted with her over the fence. So although he was very, very lame, he was able to hobble out into the field with his old and new friend and the deed was done swiftly and with no stress to anyone.

I think my horse misses his old friend though, as hasn't really become very friendly with the new one, although he neighs if he can't see her.

At least you will be able to let your little pony go while she is OK. Good luck.

BlackVelvet

Visit site
I am so sorry for you and your family, but I do think you have made the right choice. Seeing them with colic is heart breaking, and having lost one through colic I completely understand where you are coming from x