Another Colour Question - Frame

flyingfeet

Visit site
So I was looking for a small TB for my mare, and ended up buying a stallion, who is a sweetie and main job will be to work not stud!

However he has interesting lines as sire is a black frame:
raceyphotob.jpg

Unfortunately he is ginger and no frame gene:
941663_10151658035317095_1704075690_n.jpg

As he is highly coloured (big white face), legs and belly spot, is there any chance he will pass this on or the frame gene could creep back in?

Excuse his condition in the photo, he has now doubled in size!

flyingfeet

Visit site
See above photo - tested for frame and no frame. The lab thought it was weird given his colouring!

My question is more what happens when you cross what looks like a minimal frame overo, but isn't?

Enfys

Visit site
So I was looking for a small TB for my mare, and ended up buying a stallion, who is a sweetie and main job will be to work not stud!

However he has interesting lines as sire is a black frame:
raceyphotob.jpg

QUOTE]

Ah, I recognise that photo :D Racey Remarque, a member of one of the few overo thoroughbred families. He died quite a while ago now though didn't he?

Last edited:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
As he is negative for Frame, he cannot pass it on to any foals that he sires. You could breed him with a mare that has a Frame gene and she would have a 50% chance of passing it on to her foals.

As being homozygous for Frame is fatal, it's impossible to get a 100% chance of breeding a foal with Frame. Breeding two heterozygous Frame horses together is not wise due to the chance of breeding a foal with two copies that will die shortly after birth.

His belly spot could be caused by Sabino or Splash white.

lillith

Visit site
Just read already tested...no need for lethal white risk rant then :p.

If he is not frame then he cannot pass on frame but he could well pass on something interesting from whatever other white genes he might be carrying, likely sabino or splash.

Last edited:

angrovestud

Visit site
They are new genes white ones the W20 makes colours of any kind louder and the tell tale markers on a horses body are what use to be called sabino very common indeed in a lot of breeds a very useful gene LOL :D