another disturbing link

Patchwork

Visit site
I have a feeling JadeWisc may have being referring to the treatment of the horses before they are killed rather than the fact that they end up dead, GTs. The website states at the end that euthanasia by a veterinarian is a preferable alternative.

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
Even in Switzerland quite a lot people eat horse steaks.
It makes me shiver to even think about it.

But at the end of the day, why is slaughtering cattle & sheep for humand food any different? - I guess we don't as a rule keep those as riding companions !! That makes all the difference.

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have a feeling JadeWisc may have being referring to the treatment of the horses before they are killed rather than the fact that they end up dead, GTs. The website states at the end that euthanasia by a veterinarian is a preferable alternative.

[/ QUOTE ]

2 days of mistreatment is better than 10 years - though I would like to see it regulated, far better solution than banning it.

RachelMcTimoney

www.mctimoney4animals.com
why do you have to pretend to be so hard???? .........it's not tough or clever to make out it's ok for horses to end up terrified at a slaughterhouse and not euthanased effectively......

some supposed horse lovers have V strange ideas!!!

Slaughterhouse in UK i am aware off is supposedly excellent amd in my job i hear v good reports about it so there is NO need for the animlas to be treated inhumanely and not destroyed and treated properly.

GTs

Visit site
I do not think you will be able to find any quote where I said I did not support tighter regulation or the fact horses needed to be treated humanly. The only thing I have started is banning the slaughter of horses is far worse for the horses, than what they deal with now.

Too many pony patters are far to simple to think about the full affect of what they are supporting.

the watcher

Visit site
I think GTS, judging from other mail on the subject is saying that the slaughterhouse is not such a bad end, however I think we would all agree that these conditions of transport and handling are totally unacceptable.

However the way forward is not to ban slaughterhouses, but to build more, so that journey times are reduced, there is less overcrowding and animals can be dealt with promptly and humanely.

ticobay831

Visit site
2 days of mistreatment is better than 10 years - though I would like to see it regulated, far better solution than banning it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you may be right about that but it still dosnt excuse the way these poor animals are being treated. It just shouldnt happen, every animal has the right to be treated with respect.
Anybody who dosnt feel angry or upset about what is going on with these horses isnt human in my opinion.
mad.gif
mad.gif

JadeWisc

Visit site
Ok...I suppose that I should clarify "my" problems with it

I am NOT anti horse slaughter provided it is done with compassion and in a VERY humane fashion. I am not even intolerant of Human consumption of horses. Who am I do decide what meats people of a certain culture consume? I, after all, am not a Vegetarian or Vegan. I AM against the treatment of the animals. I am also agaist the people who "claim" to be so unaware of where their beloved horses are going when they auction the old sick ones off. CALL YOUR VET AND HAVE THEM PTS!!! That is what I would hope I would do!
And GT's .....Of course slaughter or death is better than suffering at the hands of a cruel neglectful owner, or allwoing a very Ill animal to stay alive. That was not the problem here for me.It was HOW it was done. I think that one is obvious.

JadeWisc

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Too many pony patters are far to simple to think about the full affect of what they are supporting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I Know for CERTAIN what I am supporting on this issue!
Yours truly, Pony Patter

GTs

Visit site
It is very expensive to have a horse PTS, atleast $400-$600. While agree that people who can not afford that should not have horses, in America there is the concept of the poor owning horses. I never understood it.

JadeWisc

Visit site
same thing as the poor owning a dog, or a cat. My horse vets bills are far less expensive than my dogs
tongue.gif

still against it all the way!!!!!! I dont care how much it costs...you are a JERK if you would rather make the $150 for the meat price instead of doing the right thing for $400. If you cannot afford it, you are still a JERK, because many rescue groups are out there and the Humane Society would allow you to surrender them. It just takes some thought and effort.

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Right I haven't read the whole link but I would like to clear some things up here. I only speak for UK slaughter houses as they are the only ones I have seen (although I have been in post mortem rooms in the US).

1) No horse is ever dismembered when concious. Horses are shot just like the hunt or the vet would do. When shot they are then lifted via shackles around the hindlegs on a winch, sometimes due to reflex pathways that do not ever enter the brain horses sometimes twitch and move after death (like chickens when the head is cut off), the animal is however most definitely dead - the thought of trying to winch a fully concious horse off the ground and then hack bits off it is completely proposterous.
2) There is always a vet present to ensure that the horses are humaely dispatched.
3) The photo of the horse in the link that is hanging up is being bled, but it is most definitely dead before they start. Equine as well as bovine blood is processed and used in a lot of medical and scientific processes so is collected.
4) All the men in the abattoir are thoroughly professional and compassionate. Each horse although stressed is treated kindly and gently - there is no shouting or smacking even for the most reluctant. The have a dignified end.

As I said before it may be different in the states, but in my experience the abattoir is not full off animal hating cruel b*stards, but PETA etc would not want you to think that. They are a sad and upsetting place (and my own horse will never go when her time comes, just because they do get stressed and I would rather she be at home), but they are also very necessary and without them cruelty and neglect would rise. Not all horse-owners are the caring and compassionate people that we would like them to be and will not have a horse humanely destroyed, whilst the abattoir is not my favourite place it provides a service that is very much needed and when run properly does not perpetuate cruelty and "butchery" despite what the animal rights activists propoganda suggests.

***Disclaimer - I do not go to the abattoir for a fun day out, in my research I require tissue samples to do cell work and get my samples from the horses once dead. I do not do live experiments or any kind of animal work, so please no hatemail***

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Thanks Lucy. I might just sleep tonight. I keep forgetting organisations like PETA won't mention the OK bits. I shall bury all mine in the field where they have lived and to hell with the local council or whoever thinks they are going to stop me.

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
The abattoir isn't a nice place, but I get sick of all the bad press they get. Unless the whole world goes vegetarian (including our carnivorous pets) they will always exist and the guys who work there (in my experience) have all been down to earth good kind people usually from a farming background.
Transporting horses for 24hours without food and water is awful - but this is not the fault of the abattoir, more the owners of the horses.