another epsm q - help

siennamiller

Visit site
horse has been on epsm diet for about 6/7 weeks, yesterday was best day, lovely canter ( best I have ever had from him)
called him to feed him this evening, he would only take one step at a time, was pawing in front and kicking behind and very tense tight behind. He was not happy to walk so brought him in, called vet who said not colic as he was picking at bits of haylage. Gave him feed with a bute and some epsom salts (as per vet) and she said to turn him back out in small field
Started new haylage on thur ( cut 6 weeks ago) which she thought might be the cause so will be giving him old soaked hay this evening.
Does anyone have any advice please
Thanks
annemarie

Clodagh

Visit site
No advice from me that you and your vet wouldn't already have done, but hope its a teeny blip and hes OK tomorrow.

siennamiller

Visit site
thanks for replying anyway.
I think that this is prob a big attack caused by the sugars in the haylage. Just not sure how long this will last, what to do with his workload?

Clodagh

Visit site
My horse that tied up had to have ages off and be turned out in a small paddock, I thin kit was a 4 week rest per attack. Can your vet do bloods, at least then you can moniter the enzymes?

siennamiller

Visit site
oh god, I will be gutted if he has to have all that time off, I have just started canter work after him being off for ages. Am planning an ode in september!
frown.gif
frown.gif

Vet said to see how he is tomorrow

sqippa

Visit site
Hey, funny that it happened the day after he went so well. Maybe the silly boy over did things. this is a real trigger in the first 4 months of diet change. He had a fab day yesterday as you said, lovely canter, feeling great regretting it today...we've all done that one ourselves!

Take it easy for a few days, up his oil whilst he is sore and see what happens.

This is all very normal!!!!!!

Oh and I've pm'd you with more ideas.

Sqip