Another first try - this time tandem

pennyturner

Visit site
Building on our experiment with a team last week, and one of my wheelers still recovering from the loss of his marital assets, I decided to take Miller and Shadow out tandem
This was a bit of a harness test too, a I made a set of tandem bars over Christmas, and wanted to try them out.

Miller went forward off voice beautifully - useful as he was well out of whip range. Shadow was quite happy to follow his best friend, well into the trace and sufficiently attentive to not get left behind on upward transitions. In fact, they went down the road in good order (walk and trot), halted quietly for a chat to a friend, and they generally behaved like they knew what they were doing.

Hoorah! I think I will do this a bit more before going back to team, as it's easier to handle four reins with only two ponies to feel and watch, and I need lot more practice. :D

pennyturner

Visit site
Thank Bernster. This pair have potential - going forward well without a groom on the first time out is quite something.
Not everything is as it should be in my team. Bobby, my near side leader is quite happy to hang back and not get up to his bit or traces, letting Miller do all the leading... so I took him out single yesterday in the iron shod rally car. It's fairly heavy, and with metal tyres, it growls like thunder on the road. Hopefully it will remind him what the collar feels like!

Part of it is my fault, of course, letting him get away with it - although he is cunning, and will keep the traces taught, just. It' only when you step up and try new thing that you realise how much you've still got to learn.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Surely the obvious next step is to go for the Random!
I've seen it done once at the great Yorkshire Show with Clydesdales. Steering was definitely an issue and he needed an extra lap to make it to the exit of the arena.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
I like this thread. A happy motivated person at the end of the winter is something to admire. I've never driven but it sounds like fun, your threads always make me want to go out and buy a small driving pony.

ETA: zzClaire what's a Random? I've never heard of that.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I like this thread. A happy motivated person at the end of the winter is something to admire. I've never driven but it sounds like fun, your threads always make me want to go out and buy a small driving pony.

ETA: zzClaire what's a Random? I've never heard of that.

A randem is 3.
Randem%20Driving_clip_image002.jpg

popsdosh

Visit site
I thought we established last time that the leader shouldn't be 'in the traces' as you put it? :confused3:.

Should only be called upon when a little bit extra is needed ,the wheelers do the donkey work! Some of them even learn to sweat like their doing something to fool you.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Which is why I am confused by him being taken out to feel what a collar is like again because it was widely discussed on the four in hand thread and advised upon by someone much more experienced than me that for the most part the leaders should be out of draft so the pony had it right.

rara007

Visit site
Having seen a tandem turnover in dressage I am quite alarmed by the idea of driving them without a suitable whip. Impressed you have some tandem bars- I've not seen anyone use any outside of the show ring! We have two (well 4 ponies worth) we're aiming for the tandem club meet- but yet to actually try it with any of them other than one wheeler! Have enjoyed our previous dabbles with it but not our thing :p Unless the meet is on your doorstep that is!

pennyturner

Visit site
I thought we established last time that the leader shouldn't be 'in the traces' as you put it? :confused3:.

Quite right, but he isn't happily going into his bit, carrying the traces, he's spotted that his mate is willing, and falling back off the bit; Cunning, lazy little welshie!

Of course, it is up to me to get the leaders collected a little, but without upsetting Miller who is an honest little fellow, sensitive and easily confused. That will be easier if Bobby is going forward properly as well.

pennyturner

Visit site
Having seen a tandem turnover in dressage I am quite alarmed by the idea of driving them without a suitable whip. Impressed you have some tandem bars- I've not seen anyone use any outside of the show ring! We have two (well 4 ponies worth) we're aiming for the tandem club meet- but yet to actually try it with any of them other than one wheeler! Have enjoyed our previous dabbles with it but not our thing :p Unless the meet is on your doorstep that is!

I got a lathe just before Christmas, so it was my first project. Quite satisfying, as they're not easy to get hold of elsewhere. They do make getting the tandem together a bit easier, as you then don't need silly long traces on the leader. Probably wouldn't be so good with high stepping types, but Shadow is a typical daisy-cutting new forest, so no problem there. :)