Another green horse xc schooling thread: Dunbo pony goes to Waresley

Puppy

Visit site
I was in two minds about whether or not to post this, as I'm not terribly confident about my riding :eek: but after GinaGeo's terrific report on her young horse, I felt rather encouraged.

A quick bit of background on both of us:

I had a bad head injury back at Christmas 2008 (double barreled in the face) which combined with my beloved mare being written off as a LOU case several months later, just when I was getting back in the saddle, meant I had been out of action for quite some time when I bought Charlie back in October 2011. It probably wasn't the wisest move to buy a 4 year old, but I fell in love with him. After having to retire my super star mare I couldn't believe any other horse could make me smile as much as she did, but my first canter on Charlie had me grinning ear to ear.

Charlie (aka the Dunbo pony) is a (now 6) 15.3, connie x TB - and yes, you may spot the family ressemblance, as he is related to Dafthoss's Yellow Pony :) He's can be stubborn, and he can be sharp, but generally he enjoys his work, learns fast, and he loves to jump!

Back in March I started regular jumping lessons with a good friend of mine, who is a superb instructor for building up my confidence, and just over 2 weeks ago we went over to Potton for mine and Charlie's first bit of XC schooling together. (my first xc since 2007!) No photos from then, as I feared I would be jinxing it, but I needn't have worried as Charlie (aka The Little Toad) jumped absolutely everything asked of him first time, with the exception of a slight hesitation at a drop, where he wanted a closer look. We finished up doing about 10 fences in a row and on a complete high; it was the best day I've had in ages, and the best ride I've had in years. With this making me a little more confident we went out on Saturday for some schooling at Waresley (Wow, what a venue?!)

Started out warming up, just cantering round some little fences to take a look around. His canter does still tend to make me grin a lot:

Then popped some little logs:

Ears on the job:

Then we did something a little bit bigger. I was really pleased with how bravely he jumped this one, albeit he rather leapt it, so I didn't really give with my hands enough :eek: My bad:

We then moved onto the tyres, which we were jumping downhill. He was quite green in his approach to these the first time, changed legs and wriggled from side to side a bit on the line in, having a good gawp, but jumped them all the same. Good Toad:

After popping the tyres a couple of times, we moved on to a little bank:

Love his ears in this one:

Well Charlie thought the bank was no trouble, so we moved on to the water.

Charlie used to be a bit of a fool about water, when we were hacking out, so we've done lots of work on it (easy to do with the winter we've just had) and it's paid off and we'd no problems & lots of fun playing at the water:

I love his keen little face here. I can't believe he used to strop about going through puddles:

TBC

Puppy

Visit site
Cont.

Next we moved on to a little step down. He did take a moment to check it out, but went first time :) :

And the second time:

Being told what a clever boy he is:

Handsome Dunbo:

You shall probably all be relieved to hear that at this point the camera's memory card was full up, so I haven't got the rest of what we did. We did show him a couple of ditches, which he didn't like a look of at all (big connie style strop :rolleyes:) but we managed to find a smaller one elsewhere on the course that he then popped very sweetly a number of times, so ditches are definitely on our homework list, along with skinnies, which he also seemed a bit confused about the question at, so we shall be practicing those in the arena at home. We finished up with some slightly larger (flippin' huge, to me!) but more basic fences, some barrels and a table, which he was sure to clear by an extra foot!

Ok, I shall stop rambling now :eek: Thank you for reading. Gentle CC welcome, but please do be gentle with me as I'm having a hellish time at work this week and feeling rather pathetic :eek: It does makes me extra appreciative of having such a super horse to cheer me up though, and I do think the world of him.

scatty_mare

Visit site
What a gorgeous horse! He is exactly the type I drool over... (not tesco lasagne style I hasten to add!)
you look like a great team, sure to have loads of fun together! I also have a green (ish) connie x tb and this post has made me even more impatient to take her xc again soon! :D

GinaGeo

Visit site
What a super boy - I do adore these Native x TBs!

I've been practising skinnies in the school with polyblocks. Starting off with guidance poles in to help keep them straight and make the question a bit easier to start with - really gave my baby the idea - he quite likes the challenge now :D

Looking forward to hearing more from you :)

TarrSteps

Visit site
What a cool little horse and it looks like you had a fabulous day out.

I remember when you got hurt (the photos!:eek::() and it's so great to see you riding again, well and enjoying it. :)

Bubbles

Visit site
Lovely post, you look a super combination :) Waresley is just down the road from us but I've never xc schooled there, looks super. Lol at the connie strop, mine has this built in as well :D Swap my grey for your dun??!

dafthoss

Visit site
The first of many Dunbo reports I hope! :D

He is a superstar and the smile on your face says it all. Cant wait to see you both out competing this year.

YP sends his approval of his little cousins tantrum, makes them appreciate the good more he recons ;):p.

Puppy

Visit site
He looks lovely, nice to see you back on a horse too!

What a cool little horse and it looks like you had a fabulous day out.

I remember when you got hurt (the photos!:eek::() and it's so great to see you riding again, well and enjoying it. :)

Thank you. It has been a very slow road back from injury. I have a lot of muscle damage to my neck, which was at it's worst when I bought Charlie, so how fabulous he is in the hand was part of the reason I fell in love with him. :)

We did have a slightly rocky start when a month or so after coming to me he had an adverse reaction to some Alfa A (he'd had it at his old home, but only in small quantities). It sent him completely off his head! He became v sharp & agitated. Even once the feed was changed he came out the other side of the episode (we hit the deck together) lacking confidence. (He's quite a sensitive type :rolleyes:) so we went back to basics and spent much of the winter 2011/12 hacking out with my Mother/my BF/Jesstickle, on foot, getting over his nappiness and spookiness, building up trust, and having fortnightly flatwork lessons with the terrific Ruth Hurst (thanks to a certain HHO'er for giving us lifts and sharing her lessons ;) ). By last Spring we were confidently hacking out everywhere on our own, including to the next village for use of a school, where we started doing jumping. By June time Charlie had, had quite a growth spurt going on, and was distinctly croup high (this concerned me rather, as I had specifically bought a small one!!) which combined with me being on some rather intense medication (head injury induced health problems) that meant I had to keep out of the sun, resulted in a quiet latter half of the summer, picking his work up again in the Autumn. I’m really hoping that now we’re on track we can start getting out and about to do more training and some competitions. God, I've probably cursed it saying that :eek:

Puppy

Visit site
What a super boy - I do adore these Native x TBs!

I've been practising skinnies in the school with polyblocks. Starting off with guidance poles in to help keep them straight and make the question a bit easier to start with - really gave my baby the idea - he quite likes the challenge now :D

Looking forward to hearing more from you :)

And thank you for giving me the nudge and making me brave enough to post. I'm terribly proud of him, but do worry about not doing him justice, which is where my terrific instructor is helping us so much. Those are exactly the kind of exercises that he's talking about us doing as homework :)

Lolo

Visit site
He's so cool, and ridiculously like YP... It's in the naughty pony ears :D You 2 need to do pairs! No CC from me, I'm too scared to even canter let alone jump, but you both look really good and like a proper partnership.

Love your XC colours too :D

BeckyD

Visit site
Wow lovely to see a report from you and doing so well as well - your position looks great (am most envious of that and your gorgeous pony!). I'm such a sucker for duns and for TB crosses. I remember your accident and your bravery. Dunbo seems like just the sort of horse to get out and have fun on, whilst also not being so straight forward that it gets boring. Fabulous!

jenbleep

Visit site
What a great little horse - he looks like just my type and a lot of fun!

Nice to see a rider with a huge grin in nearly every photo too! :D

kit279

Visit site
He looks smashing and well done you for literally getting back on the horse and turning him into such confident happy little horse :) Are you and Charlie going to come and visit me when I move?! I'm getting very keen to organise a weekend camp thing at mine!

Rosiefan

Visit site
Can't tell you how thrilled I am to read that report and you both look full of confidence - just how it should be. I too remember your dreadful accident and subsequent fight to recover so hats off to you and Charlie + a round of applause :)

Puppy

Visit site
Lovely post, you look a super combination :) Waresley is just down the road from us but I've never xc schooled there, looks super. Lol at the connie strop, mine has this built in as well :D Swap my grey for your dun??!

I can really recommend it; it's an amazing venue. There's such a huge variety of fences to play with (plus gallops and SJs and arenas etc). I shall definitely be going back :)

I'm a sucker for a nice grey, so that's quite a tempting offer ;)