Another happy ending

ruscara

Visit site
2-day old filly rescued by Good samaritan on coldest day in indiana

filly.jpg

"I am proud to introduce all of you to our newest member of the USERL family—a two-day old filly! This filly had the unfortunate luck of being born on the coldest day in years in Northern Indiana, when temperatures were roughly negative 20 degrees (yes, you read that right!!). Thanks to a good samaritan who noticed the filly lying on the ground as she drove by, this filly now has a chance at life—something that was almost taken from her at only hours of age. Her hind legs were frozen stiff, her mouth frozen shut, her nose was almost frozen over and she was frozen to the ground. This good samaritan chose to take action, covered the filly to try and warm her and free her from her icy prison and called one of USERL’s foster homes who immediately swung into action. By the afternoon, the owner had agreed to allow the foster to take both the mare and filly to her barn, where they would at least be out of the elements. By that evening, the owner agreed to sign the filly over to USERL so that she could receive much needed medical attention. She was rushed to the vet clinic, where she received IV fluids, much needed colostrum from her dam (she had not been able to nurse before this) and she was tubed to ensure she was getting enough to eat.

I am happy to say that despite her introduction into this world she is doing very well, and our hopes are high that she will pull through this with flying colors! The owner has since told us that there are three other mares in the same filed who are most likely pregnant and will be facing the same challenges, therefore, has agreed to sign over all future foals to USERL. The mares will be moved to a suitable facility before they give birth. We will have a vet examine the them to check for pregnancy and possible gestation.

I am very proud by the quick action taken on behalf of this little girl and the dedication shown by all involved! The filly has been named “A Fleeting Moment,” for that is all it took for the good samaritan to see her and decide to make a difference in the life of this precious baby!"