Another how much but on HAY ..............

Scoopy

Visit site
Ok really interested on how much hay you feed your horse in a day.

Please state kind of horse and work load.

Thankies
smirk.gif

miamibear

Visit site
My neddy 16.2hh IDxTB in light work, 6 days a week but 3 days schooling for about 1/2 hour, 3 days hacking for imbetween 1 and 2 hours.

he gets 2 BIG nets jammed FULL every night and every morning its gone
shocked.gif

He is out on grass during the day, so he is ready for his hay on a night!! He is not obese but probably carrying a little too much but i dont like them lean going in to winter!!

Im sure he would eat 3 if i left them
wink.gif

MarthaRodman1

www.photobucket.com
Well when in work (he's recoverying from a tendon injury @ the mo) in the winter he comes in at 2pm for a medium sized hay net, prob bout 3 sections. Then at night when finished off a large hay net, I'm guessing 4/5 sections?! We have large farm bales, so not really sure! His hay nets are large though!
Jack is an 11 year old TB and was in full work. Ridden 6 times a week. Jumped, schooled and hacked.

Hope this helps!

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
errr I feed Hayledge and not hay. I feed ad lib and so quantities change according to time of eyar and weather.

Currently Dan who is in light but regular work and is a 17h2 WB on grass during day and then hayledge at night with 'token' hard feed to make him eat his Newmarket joint supplement has 2/3rds of a slice of a Large square hayledge bale which is approx 2 large hayledge nets stuffed full to bursting but he has it on floor.

Fleur who is about 16h ish KWPN and in medium to hardish work has grass during day two reasonable hard feeds a day (in my book reasonable is tiny in comparison to others!) and then the hayledge which is about 1/2 large slice ad lib anymore she wastes.

They both go up though to approx 1 slice in deepest darkest winter when grass quality is poor. Don't know weights I just feed enough so that at no point they are left without, they have no issues with weight as they are worked/fed accordingly and look in fabulous condition without being over weight.

katie

M

madabout2

I feed haylage. 3/4 large haynet per night. Horse is ridden/schooled/hacked 5 times a week. In addition he is turned out from 9 to 4 in winter and from 4 to 9 in summer.

Winter is 3 scoops baileys no2, 3 cups out shine, 1 scoop hifi over the feeds
and in summer 1/2 the abileys and no outshine over 2 feeds.

He is PBA 15hh and not a good doer

RachelB

Visit site
My overweight (oops
crazy.gif
) ID X, who works six days a week for an hour and a half a day hacking (mostly trotting, some cantering and walking), schooling for 30 mins once a week, and lunging for 20 mins once a week, gets one section of very good quality hay between 3 and 7pm, and three or four sections overnight (7pm-8am). It's always all gone and hoovered up, but I think I had better not give her any more or she'll get even fatter!

SummerStorm

Visit site
I've got a 14hh pony in medium work (competing once a week, schooling 3 times, jumping once, hacking twice all for about 40mins) on 2 sections of hay a night but the grass in he field is stupidly rich at the moment so I'm keeping an eye on the old Laminitis game...

Scoopy

Visit site
Well it just had me thinking, my boy is now completing his haynets, he is out during the day as well on good grass, i weight the nets yesterday and he has 18 lb in a net
shocked.gif
, he is a poor doer but he is looking brill and in full work
grin.gif
, but i'm getting into add lib with him as he is scoffing so fast ?
grin.gif

miamibear

Visit site
I dont see a problem with that. I would always give ad lib hay given the chance and then add to that with hard feed as necessary. Especially if yours is not a good doer.

The only reason i would restrict is if i thought mine was getting over weight but i dont think that will happen, until next summer on grass that is!!

In cold weather they need their hay to warm them from the inside out so i think you are doing right
grin.gif

Scoopy

Visit site
But this is the thing, its taken me bloody months to make him eat and now he loves his food, i spent a lot of time in research and baileys really helped me out, i have nearly had him a year and he looks a different horse, but he really has turned into an eating station.......................
grin.gif

riotgirl

Visit site
As we are fast approaching winter my Welshie is in light work atm (when the clocks go backs she will only be ridden at the weekends) so they hay she gets is purely to keep her occupied. She gets a section in the morning when I put her out (I dot it about the field so she has to 'find' it) and she has a haynet with about 2 sections in it at night.

JessPickle

Visit site
I feed haylage

my 17.1hh clydesdale x who works 6 days a week, doing 1/2 half hour private lessons, normally 1.5 hour hack, a jumping lesson and 3.5hours of group lessons. He is turned out in the day, and at night has a HUGE haynet with about 2/3 of a large square bale of haylage and he eats all of it

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
15.3hh Cob - Ridden 5 times per weekish for between 30mins & 2hrs depending if hacking or schooloing, or a bit of both. She get a full Hay bar and eats about half, so about half a normal bale per night. Turned out all day and gets fed next to nothing - bit of Hi Fi Lite, Alfa A Oil and some Black Oil Sunflower Seeds.

not_with_it

Visit site
My 15.2 Dutchie gets a large hay net at night and has recently has been having an all you can eat buffet through the day
grin.gif
as she plays in the barn
Although now the hay bales will be moved out of the barn as she keeps trashing everything so she will will have a haynet instead. She is also free to munch on as much straw as she likes.
Im lucky as she isnt greedy and she will stop when shes had enough.

eventingdiva

Visit site
We always weigh ours so
14.2 pony gets 4kg
Skinny 16 h gets 5.5kg, would get more but wont eat more than 5kg (the extra 1/2 is just in case she gets hungry!)
16.3h gets 5kg, shes still got a bit of a tummy!
14h and 12.2h both get 3.5kg x