another how much would you pay for this horse

charmaine

Visit site
I currently have a 15.2hh mare on a two week trial with a view to purchase. I was told she was TBxCob but it is very apparent she has a considerable amount of trotter in her. She has the typical trotter gait and when you ask her to canter she just goes faster and faster in trot increasing to a ridiculous speed and it's not particularly comfortable.
However all that aside she is the most incredibly sensible horse and absolutely nothing bothers her which is what I was after as I have lost my confidence. Would you buy a horse like this if you wanted total safety and overlook the gait and how much would you pay for it?

Parkranger

Visit site
The fact that she's safe is a bonus (obviously) but the trotting thing would put off the more nervy riders (I guessing due to reschooling) so I'd agree with Vic, maybe a bit more.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I suspect the trotting faster when asked for canter is more to do with lack of education - either on your part or hers.

Presumably you have agreed a price with them prior to taking her away on trial. So that's what you should be paying - regardless of what it is.

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
The lack of canter Amymay is just the way trotters are trained. They are not allowed to canter but are taught to trot as fast if not faster than the canter gait.

I would imagine that it could take a LOT of schooling to teach the horse to canter (might be worth sending for a bit of professional schooling) but we have two on our yard who are lovely horses. Saying that I have to disagree about them all being spook proof......my friends ex trotter is scared of his own shadow
grin.gif
but the other one is a babe and barely ever spooks at anything. They can be very uncomfortable to ride though if they get into their fast trot. Sometimes they are going so fast that you can't actually give any aids to stop them because you are getting so jiggled about
grin.gif
I have had a couple of bouts of concussion when I have been 'shook to death'. Very funny though
grin.gif

I would not be at all put off buying one but would want the price to reflect the amount of work I was going to have to put in to reschool it. Probably no more than £1000.......a lot less if possible
laugh.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The lack of canter Amymay is just the way trotters are trained. They are not allowed to canter but are taught to trot as fast if not faster than the canter gait.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep - aware of that.

This sounds like a schooling issue though - as the horse 'maybe' has trotter in it - rather than has actually been trained as a trotter
blush.gif