Another how to choose a stallion post for my mare?

Doublethyme

Visit site
I know, I bet you get loads of these, but I would really like some advice on how to choose a stallion for my mare.

Firstly a bit of background. My mare is at the moment on box rest lame with an ligament injury that could worst case scenario be ridden career limiting or mean extensive time off. I have toyed with the idea of breeding for my own purposes a foal from her in the past, but discounted as I didn't want her out of work and had pretty much decided to just buy a 2 year old in a few years time. Obviously this could now change.

The decision is far from made, it will be heavily weighted by the outcome of her current lameness investigations and if she comes sound before spring will go on the back burner, detailed talks with my vet over her conformation/suitability etc etc and my honest assessment of my capabilities/resources. I suppose what I am saying is that it won't be a knee jerk reaction to a lame horse, is for my own purposes for life, but would hopefully (as far as these things can be guaranteed!) be a saleable RC type animal in case the need to sell arose and I do have access to several sources of experience (YO breeds a few foals a year), so I'm not really looking for any anti "one horse breeders for personal use that aren't world champions" type comments
wink.gif

Anyway....... the mare :

She is a 16hh 12 year old Danish Warmblood x TB, passported by the AES. Confirmation wise - pretty good, bit long backed, has always been pretty sound (current injury thought to be an impact one, not weakness). She isn't perfect, but is a nice looking horse, moves well. Temperament wise - she is more on the dominant feisty mare side, but ridden wise is sane and sensible. I have to admit that I have only ever done RC/Unaff stuff with her, but she can jump and if she had received the correct training, I believe would have been a nice affiliated type - same with dressage (so probably potential unrealised, but she's happy!)

Breeding :

She is by a Danish Warmblood Stallion called Cinnamon Reef, who is by Voltaire (Danish) which I have been told (maybe incorrectly) isn't bad breeding.

On her dam's side she is out of a TB mare called Amber Rhapsody, who is by High Award out of Bona Fide (I can't find this mare on allbreeds, but she is by Appiani II out of Wind Goddess

It all means nothing to me! I bought her as a just backed 4 year old and she had been home bred by someone for showjumping out of their favourite mare and she has proved to be a lovely companion and mount.

I find all the different stud books etc soooo confusing and before even attempt to get near a decision, need to understand a lot more about the whole process.

I would be looking for a stallion maybe to help counter her long back, plus would maybe like a bit of height and he would have to be proven to sire even tempered off spring.

Any suggestions - not necessarily even for specific stallions, but which breed to go for. I am thinking warmblood of some description - she is pretty much Hannoverian on her warmblood side.

Also I would prefer to breed something that could be registered with stud book/society, not so much for my purposes, but in case the foal ever needed to be sold on, I think there is a better market so better chance of a good home if a horse is registered.

Hope my essay makes sense! Thanks if you got this far! Whilst I don't particulary want negative remarks about single horse owners/breeding for personal use, I am very open to any experienced opinions on conformation issues that may be apparent in the photos and would certainly make them a big part of any decision I eventually take.

Oh and to help some photos of the lady in question!

MinnieFieldSummer05.jpg

Picture036.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture029.jpg

DAHH

Visit site
I think she looks lovely, I would breed from her!
As for what to put her to. Well, I would stick to warmblood. I think maybe a KWPN. Something quite compact but with good height and not too heavy. Avoid stallions with long backs.
Or holstein. I used one last year (called Cardero) on a mare not unlike your mare but only 15h3. Anyway the foal is kick-arse awesome!
The only other thing I would say is go for an established stallion with excellent breeding and proven offspring.

PrincessDana

Visit site
I really like your mare, she is very pretty
smile.gif
Dont really have any suggestions for you other than since she is jumping bred it would be good to build on that with a nice short coupled jumping stallion. What about Orame? There are so many good ones out there, good luck with it all
smile.gif
x

sammiea

Visit site
I dont really have any suggestions stallion wise but just wanted to say you mare is lovely.

You are in the situatution i was in with my mare. Injuryed and facing lengthy time off. I decided in the end even if she didnt need masses of time off i'd put her in foal and give her the time off to ensure she was 110%. She has produced me a stunning colt (who is staying and will be my next comp horse) and i have enjoyed every minute of the experience.

Good luck and let us know what you decide
smile.gif

Damien

Visit site
Agree with everyone, shes a lovely looking mare
smile.gif

An Orame fan
wink.gif
cool.gif
They do make lovely pleasant horses with lots of talent and a safe sensible outlook on life, a great work ethic suitable for either of the Disciplines. They also show well, slightly heavier of frame so also make nice workers and show horses with good paces. It was an Orame son that won the loose jumping championship a few years ago, in 2004, sadly he had a tragic accident in the field and broke his spine, has survived but no longer rideable. His owner loved him so much she later purchased another Orame son who then went on to be placed second in the dressage 4 year old championships or maybe it was the five year old champs. And I think again in 2005 it was an Orame son that was placed second in the loose jumping championships.......

Doublethyme

Visit site
Thank you guys and for your lovely compliments on my mare, I thinks she's great, but am completely and utterly biased!

Thanks also for the suggestions and advice, which is all being duly noted and filed away. I will be spending many a lovely hour surfing the net and checking them out. Have already had a look at the World Class Stallions site and been blown away by all the stunning horses on there. Plus luckily my own vets is listed as one of the official AI clinics so at least if I go that route, they are just up the road and I know I can trust them.

Rocky01

Visit site
In general I would talk with the stallion farms and look at horse encyclopedias to narrow down a breed before looking at specific stallions or you could get very lost (I did). I think that your mare is lovely and seems to have a kind eye (always a plus).
I did a lot of looking at warmblood bloodlines when I was choosing a youngster (foal or yearling (I bought a yearling)). KWPNs and danish warmbloods can be sharper but can be lovely, hanoverians can be stubborn but not nastily so. I would stay clear of the E line hanoverians (Espri etc) since they can be very tempermental (I know Elroon isn't but he doesn't fit the general mold of E line hanoverians). I would look at contendro or some of his offspring (there are a few who are licensed) as they have nice paces and a good jump and they are generally of solid temprament plus they don't generally have long backs.
Hope this helps PM me if you want some more info.