Another injury! (Warning - images attached)

Visit site
So after just recovering from a splint forming (caused by running around on hard ground in the field!) today the spotty one came in with quite a bad kick above his knee. ? the cut itself is not deep, but due to the locationand the fact he was very lame, I got the Vet straight away.

Vet thinks it is a kick to the Extensor Tendon as he is struggling with the 'reach forward' part of of the stride but a hairline fracture to the radius hasn't been ruled out. He has been prescribed three days box rest and plenty of pain killers and xold hosing twice per day. If he improves, he can go back out but if no better they want to X-Ray on Monday. ?

He is doing a very brave thing tonight and staying in by himself for the first night ever. have given him 1ml of Relequin to take the edge off and there is a bit of shouting but nothing major - I can see him from the house. Awkward with three horses as they are in the majority of the day to keep him company but I can't have them all in full time else my old mare will get stiff so juggling best I can. One of the advantages of having him at home - I wouldn't attempt this if he wasn't else I wouldn't sleep!

When he goes back out he is going out alone from now on as I just can't run the risk of him getting any more injuries. He is not being bullied but he is a little terror and won't stop winding the others up.

Anyway please send me some positive vibes as they are very much needed.

Photos below. Top one is this morning and bottom one is the evening. The swelling is still coming out...

Attachments

• 02E1020A-75C6-4600-BE64-2C5972AD8965.jpeg
    02E1020A-75C6-4600-BE64-2C5972AD8965.jpeg
    575 KB · Views: 163
  • 4B87FF07-DF80-4910-8D5F-A2A20C1DAFF8.jpeg
    4B87FF07-DF80-4910-8D5F-A2A20C1DAFF8.jpeg
    366.7 KB · Views: 157

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Dear Lord above! That's going to get worse before it gets better. Can you ice it at all, to help with swelling? I think I'd have wanted a whack of penicillin, to be on the safe side.

Visit site
He did get a painkiller injection which could have contained Penicillin but I am not sure. I could do, any ideas how I can ice that area? And also not sure I should because it's an open wound?

Nicnac

Visit site
Poor lad. One of mine kicked t'other and it resulted in a fracture to the radius as well as quite a deep puncture wound. I'd get it x-rayed before turning back out. My boy wasn't terribly lame but of course the risk is that the fracture spirals.

Hopefully it's not fractured, but if it is mine made a full recovery back to competing.

Doesn't cold hosing involve him walking? I'd use ice in a clean freezer bag as much as possible.

Visit site
Poor lad. One of mine kicked t'other and it resulted in a fracture to the radius as well as quite a deep puncture wound. I'd get it x-rayed before turning back out. My boy wasn't terribly lame but of course the risk is that the fracture spirals.

Hopefully it's not fractured, but if it is mine made a full recovery back to competing.

Doesn't cold hosing involve him walking? I'd use ice in a clean freezer bag as much as possible.

Thanks for that, well I did wonder that as he has to come out obviously to me cold hosed but Vet just said walking is fine she just doesn't want him running around on it. How would I attach the ice or is it a case of just holding it on?

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Ooo, that's not a nice place to get one. Sending healing vibes.

One of mine has an extensor tendon injury from a field injury as a 2yo (before I owned him), and has permanent swelling/scar tissue on the tendon sheath, but it has never seemed to bother him. I've had a few X rays taken of the area over the years (he's 12 now), and they are really variable in quality as it can be really hard to get a good image with swelling in the way. So I'll send some good image vibes too, for if you have to X ray X ?

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
That’s a shame, hope he’s better soon and there is no fracture ?? My youngster doesn’t understand no and he’s been lucky he hasn’t had a kicking yet so you totally have my sympathy

Visit site
That’s a shame, hope he’s better soon and there is no fracture ?? My youngster doesn’t understand no and he’s been lucky he hasn’t had a kicking yet so you totally have my sympathy

Thank you, he is 22 and really should know better. He is my complete horse of a lifetime though and his safety is paramount. He seems to be settled down for the night now it's dark which is a relief although after googling about them not meant to lay down if its a fracture I am not sure I will get much sleep. ? he has a lovely big bed too so hopefully he won't lay down. Vet never said anything about that to me.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Thank you, he is 22 and really should know better. He is my complete horse of a lifetime though and his safety is paramount. He seems to be settled down for the night now it's dark which is a relief although after googling about them not meant to lay down if its a fracture I am not sure I will get much sleep. ? he has a lovely big bed too so hopefully he won't lay down. Vet never said anything about that to me.

Maybe the vet really doesn't think a fracture is likely...? Cross tying as a precaution is the normal advice if there is anything more than a miniscule fracture risk

Visit site
Maybe the vet really doesn't think a fracture is likely...? Cross tying as a precaution is the normal advice if there is anything more than a miniscule fracture risk

She said it's not impossible but she thinks it's more likely he has has knocked the extensor tendon due to how he is moving and obviously he will be sore and the amount of swelling is most likely due to that. She said I should see an improvement within 48 hours else to get back in touch.

I am trying not to panic but after losing my other boy in February it's hard!

Visit site
If it was a fracture he would be lame lame straight away. What you may find in a few days/week or so is if he is slightly off he may have a bone chip floating about in there. But generally it will just be the swelling that is causing any stiffness and will pass in a few days.

As to ice - good old freezer ice cube bags. They mould round every part of the leg. Put a tea towel under it against the skin then the ice then a tail bandage or elastic bandage type thing that will contract as the ice melts but still hold everything in place.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
My hunter got one in the same place that left him with a permanently thickened area. Luckily he got another a year later on the other leg so they matched again! It swelled horrifically, and I found red laser very helpful to take the swelling down.

Visit site
My hunter got one in the same place that left him with a permanently thickened area. Luckily he got another a year later on the other leg so they matched again! It swelled horrifically, and I found red laser very helpful to take the swelling down.

Thanks for that, he is walking better on it today (although understandably with the Bute in his system this may be why he feels better) but he is not catching the toe on the ground any more which must be a good sign. It's still swollen, but in my head I was expecting tree trunk size after being awake all night worrying but it's not much more swollen than yesterday. He's asleep now because I have brought his friends in as usual but he did remarkably well staying alone last night - only shouting once all night and seemed to be calmer as it started to get dark and he realised he was staying in. Sedative at the ready for later as he might not be so good second time round but I am pleased with how it's looking so far, will get a photo later.

Visit site
So this is tonight... I may be imagining it but does it look slightly less swollen?!

Attachments

• 6F1CCED6-C2A6-4724-AC5C-0856B40B1DF5.jpeg
    6F1CCED6-C2A6-4724-AC5C-0856B40B1DF5.jpeg
    432 KB · Views: 28
Visit site
So the swelling has gone down further today and I have dropped the Bute to one in the morning and one at night from tonight. He is being so well behaved about being in, I am really proud of him! I had considered turning him out in a small fenced off paddock tomorrow but am now feeling sick at the thought in case it is a hairline fracture. I would be expecting him to get worse if it was and he had clearly been laying down last night so he can obviously get up and down ok but I am worried all the same. I guess I won't know without an x-ray but Vet thinks it is more likely tendon related but there is still a small chance of a fracture and I obviously don't want to do the wrong thing. Haven't been able to get hold of my Vet but I think will have to wait until Monday at least so I can speak to her. Any advice??

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Ice boots? I have a set of wine cooler wraps that can be frozen, they have velcro closures. Towel underneath then wrap them round on top. There sh be enough room, my horse has 10 inches of bone and they fit perfectly.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
For safety's sake, I would x ray it before turning out. If there's a hairline fracture and he goes for a hoolie, it will probably break.

Nobody warned me, and I let mine out to walk off the filling. Only after he had run about did I suddenly wake up to the horrific risk I had taken.

Visit site
How much bute was he on if he is down to 2 a day!?!?!?! Jeezo! No wonder he can't feel anything!

Vet prescribed 2x morning and 2x night for the first 48 hours. Yes I thought was a very high dose, and that's the most he has ever had ever but that's what she said. ?‍♀️ anyway he is down to 1 in the morning and 1 at night. Trotted up sound this morning (under vets advice) but won't be leaving his stable until he is off the Bute and I see how he is then. I want to talk to my Vet tomorrow about it properly but have spoken to two friends who are Equine Vets independently and they both advised no turnout until he is off the Bute but all agree the extensor tendon seems to have cushioned the blow. I picked his feet out this morning which he struggled with on thursday but is now fine with. Again, I know he is still on the bute but I also know him inside out and back to front.

ycbm - what happened with yours after it had ran about?

Visit site
Update - we are now down to 1/2 a bute morning and evening. He is sound and full of beans. Have had another good chat with Vet and she has said he can be turned out for a bit once he is completely off the Bute. She said if it was a fracture he would be very sore and the Bute wouldn't hardly touch it. I did mention X-Rays but she is really not concerned and said the swelling should continue to go down once he is out. Spent yesterday afternoon building him his own paddock - now just to hope he stays in it!!

He's still being cold hosed twice per day and has been out both those times and again just now for half an hour in hand grazing - there are not many you can take in a ten acre field after five days box rest and they don't explode!!

He really has been the model patient so far and I am so proud of him. He has company tonight as the others are in due to the bad weather we have forecast here but has done the last four nights all by himself. He even seems to enjoy it, dare I say! If there is anything I have learnt from this, it is that he can stay alone at night if needs be. ?