Another laminitis case, help me prepare!!

Bossdog

Visit site
Hi all

I am brand new to this board and I'm hoping to glean some information but it's a bit of a story so bear with me!!

We have lived in a rural area for three years now and a mile up the road there is an older couple with two ponies. Looks like a Welsh B (we'll call her M) and a minitaure Shetland (called G). Now I have long disapproved of the condition so these ponies, not your typical neglect case but desperatly over spoilt, fat, too much grass etc etc (paddock is about 5 acres and no restrictions). I have had to post anonymous notes about their ragwort crop and the fact that the shetland does need to have his feet trimmed occasionaly, both of which have been heeded.

But yesterday I discovered that M couldn't walk (I walk my dogs along the side of the field). Well, this is unusal so when the owners were out I hopped into the field and had a nosy, She has swelling in one fetlock and a tender frog so I presume there's a nasty infection in there but she has also completly outgrown her shoes (front and back even though she isn't ridden) and has a look of laminitis about her.

So I went to their hosue later and very politley said their pony is lame. He then told me he didn't have time to fence her a little paddock so I enthusaiticaly offered my services as chief carer which he happily took me up on. So today I went up with him and showed what needed doing etc. Now i don't know if she is lame because of a)laminitis b) pus in teh foot or c) such bad shoeing that her farrier should be shot. I advised him that I would arrange a vet and a farrier to come out t his cost which he agreed to and I have been very lucky that there will be a farrier in the area tomorrow morning who will come sort her out.

It's been 4 years since I had anything to do with laminitis so my question is to check whether there have been any developments with regards to shoeing and laminitis that I should know about. Will heart bar shoes still give her the support she needs and surely she doesn't need back shoes. I'd like her to go barefoot for a while and give her feet a chance to breath but then I'm also aware that remdial shoeing could ease her pain. I don't know this farrier and I am always a bit wary of new ones till I get to know them and see the results of their work and I don't know any horsey people inthe area that I can ask for recommendations.

So if anyone can give an update on the laminitis situation I'd be really grateful, tahnks everyone!!

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Gosh blimey,this pony is lucky you have come along to the rescue by the sounds of it. I would see what the farrier thinks tomorrow,if said pony needs the support of shoes then perhaps heartbars would be needed,would also be great to let the foot have a rest. Its hard to say without knowing for sure, but good luck with the farrier tomorrow, i am sure they will be able to advise of the best option,good luck

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
Firstly a vet will need to look at this pony and diagnose what is wrong.

If the owner is not pepared to have a vet in immediately then contact the ILPH (International League for the Protection of Horses Immediately as this would be considered a serious welfare case. ilph.org.uk

Laminitis is considered a veterinary emergency which needs to be treated immediately

The vet will confirm the horse has Laminitis by checking it's digital pulse which will have a very strong beat.

A horse with suspected Laminitis needs to be immediately and without any delay brought in and put on a very thick bed. It should only be fed a very small amount of 2 hour soaked hay (to remove nutrition but keep digestive tract going) about every 4 hours. The horse will be prescribed medication (Bute, ACP and if in pain Finedine twice a day). This regime will be continued until all signs of lameness have gone.

If the horse is in pain then it should be fitted with rubber frog supports which the vet can do.

Laminitis is not caused by Grass alone it may also be caused by such things as Medical Shock (suck as emerging encysted red worms), working on hard ground, Cushings Disease - in which case it may also be prescribed Periactin) or a number of other reasons.

Happytohack

Visit site
Goodness, you have taken something on! I agree with everything Peter Natt has said about Laminitis. I have a pony with Cushings Disease. He came down with laminitis in January. He was confined to his stable for 10 weeks, on deep bedding on top of rubber matting. He was on Bute & ACP and also had frog supports fitted. My farrier (who is fantastic) has now fitted stick on heart bar shoes which have been wonderful. The pony is now turned out all day on poor grazing and has stayed sound. The cost of the shoes are £100 every 6 weeks. If this pony has got laminitis, you should be aware and so should the owner of what you are taking on and the cost and care involved.