Another 'listen to your horse' thread

xDundryx

Visit site
4 weeks ago today I dropped my lovely ex racehorse off at the RVC, the next day he was PTS and my heart broke into a thousand pieces. Ill try and keep it brief! In may I got on him after a few weeks off due to covid to have a quiet hack (he was always solid and reliable on the roads if a little spooky) and he had a massive reaction, reversing trying to go up and bucking (he wasnt adverse to an excited buck but for him it was an extreme reaction) I got off checked everything sprayed extra fly spray in case he had been bitten and tried again, no reaction but he had his neck flexed one way I worked on straightening him and working to loosen him up a bit and he appeared stiff when turning. I checked for signs of lami but there was nothing obvious, checked legs hooves everything but he had no heat or pain reactions. He was a pratt in the field so I thought he maybe had tweaked something doing somersaults given the ground was so hard. I kept an eye on him for a couple of days and he seemed back to normal. However 3 days after our ride he was tripping over his own feet and fell on his knees so I called the vet she was out within an hour and immediately pin pointed his ataxia to his neck and book portable xrays for the next day. These didnt look good so he was referred to the RVC for ct scans of his neck, back and a myelogram. He had an appointment 10 days later. In those 10 days I watched my beautiful horse become confused, uncoordinated and the light going out. His level of ataxia was still pretty low but we could see him changing daily. I drove 2 and a half hours slowly down to the RVC and said goodbye.
He had the scans the next day and they rang as soon as he was up from anaesthesia. The first words were 'it's not good news' he had arthritis and DJD in his neck fusion of 4 vertebrae and the others didnt look great. There was no room to medicate between the joints, they were amazed at how advanced the changes were given his symptoms. Hower he was only going to get worse and quickly. He was PTS that afternoon by the lovely team there.
He was dead within a month of the first signs of something 'not quite right'
I bought him straight from training 5 years ago and knew him inside out, sometimes others thought I was slightly neurotic getting a vet out for things but each time it was 'something' rather than nothing and needed attention. I'm so relieved I immediately knew sometimes was wrong and acted on it so he didnt have to suffer. A picture of the big doofus!20200419_164208.jpg

Last edited:

Orangehorse

Visit site
How sad, what a beautiful horse. He was fortunate to have you as his owner, as you spotted something was wrong straight away.
Big hugs to you.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
so very sorry :( echo the above, it was fortunate that you knew him well and spotted he was not well. though it must be an awful shock to the system to lose him so quickly.

SJJR

Visit site
So sorry for your loss. Gorgeous horse and lucky he had you to listen to him and stop his painxx

sportsmansB

Visit site
I'm so sorry for your loss. He was lucky to find you, if only all the TB's out of training were lucky enough to find a loving, sensible owner and have 5 great years of fun!

xDundryx

Visit site
We've lost a few over the years whilst all are extremely sad this has really hit me hard. I always remember what my grandad said 'where theres livestock theres deadstock' and try to be practical and make sure my head rules my heart both for the animal and us. But he was truly part of the family, I found out I was pregnant shortly after picking him up from the racing yard, so obviously I kept riding him until I was 7 months and he looked after my little girl, he would stand by her pram while I tried to poo pick the field, shes 3 and a half now and happily got on him after I rode and toddle round the yard. 17hh of horse and a little girl. He was a cracking horse in every way and deserved the best.

Green Bean

Visit site
It is so important to listen to your horse. As their owner you are uniquely aware of the little changes that stable hands may not notice as they do not ride your horse. So sorry for your loss of such a gorgeous horse, he looks like such a lovely 'person'

Polos Mum

Visit site
So sorry - it's hard to be conscientious when many others around aren't and seem to get away with it.

I had the vet out to my boy with bone cyst last week, a month on from initial treatment. He's still pretty lame IMHO and I had a serious debate with the vet over whether he was sound enough for the 6 months field rest suggested. He said many people would be riding him with that level of lameness and not even notice -

I'm sure your boy was very thankful you were so attentive and made the difficult decision without thinking of yourself.

SashaBabe

Visit site
So sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful horse and very lucky to have you. Sending virtual hugs xx

ponyparty

Visit site
So sorry for your loss, what a beautiful horse. Must've been a terrible shock for you, for him to deteriorate so fast.

CJoe

Visit site
so sorry for your loss. Awful, BUT so thankful that you cared for your boy so well and listened to him, so many don't....stop to listen....

Had similar a few weeks ago, horse stumbled, and fell....just not right, brain in gear body wasnt...ended up once investigated that he only had 50% breathing capability due to collapsed larynx....had his op and he is now back to in hand walking again.

We have to listen, you just KNOW when your horse isnt right xxxx

ihatework

Visit site
What a beautiful horse and very sad to loose him in such circumstances. But what a lucky boy to end up with you.

alexomahony

Visit site
So sorry for your loss - what a beautiful horse he was, and how lucky to have an owner like you. I wish there were more of you around xx

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I am so sorry you had to go through the same thing. Thank goodness he was with someone who listened to him. What a beauty he was.

Trouper

Visit site
Goodness your picture took me straight back to my beautiful ex-racer who I also had to pts with multiple skeletal problems when he was only 6. The only consolation is that they did not have to suffer for long. I hate how their bodies are stressed before their bones are ready for it. My thoughts are with you.